firefox shows a green box instead of my youtube videos, why?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bluechillzz
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:36 pm

firefox shows a green box instead of my youtube videos, why?

Postby bluechillzz » Fri May 01, 2009 10:47 pm

everytime i try to watch a youtube video this green box appears where the video should be, what's the problem? i have almost all of the plug-ins installed the only one missing is the vlc plug-in because i can't find it. it's funny because back when i had ubuntu i had tis problem with opera, only the box was grey instead of green. i thought mint came with everything you needed to play videos.

psych1610
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Re: firefox shows a green box instead of my youtube videos, why?

Postby psych1610 » Sat May 02, 2009 8:40 am

Hey, I don't know if you've got this all figured out and I realize you said you have all the plugins in and such, but there are two plugins available for flash near as I can tell. One works pretty unicorns for me and the other works perfect. Try this maybe it works, if not no real harm done. Just take note of what was installed before.

shane wrote:first of all, purge all flash packages... (completely remove in spynaptic) then purge nspluginwrapper...

then reinstall flash.

or from command line the commands to run are...

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude purge flashplugin-nonfree flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound adobe-flashplugin nspluginwrapper


then

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree


In particular nspluginwrapper was using up to 40% of my CPU and X was taking the other 60% when playing a flash video. With nsplugin out of the picture everything is stable.

bluechillzz
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: firefox shows a green box instead of my youtube videos, why?

Postby bluechillzz » Sat May 02, 2009 12:13 pm

alright, the regular window shows now but the videos still don't play. they just buffer and then sit there with a blank screen

bluechillzz
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: firefox shows a green box instead of my youtube videos, why?

Postby bluechillzz » Mon May 04, 2009 3:51 pm

so nobody knows?


Return to “Newbie Questions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], xdicey and 8 guests