Do not like 18.2!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Do not like 18.2!

Post by magicchance »

Mods, I hate LM 18.2. How can I get back to my former OS from 2 days ago the quickest and easiest way, without any lost data?
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: DO NOT LIKE 18.2!!!!!!

Post by Mute Ant »

sudo apt-get install windows is for people who troll past...garbage in garbage out.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

You'll have to reinstall your former OS from 2 days ago after backing up your data.
ImageImage
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

The mods are here to manage the forum, not to respond to your personal demands.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I love it...now run it full time...Thanks Mint team. 8)

If I wanted to go back to Mint 18...I would simply Reinstall the System Image I have on my External HDD...but that's me. :lol:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Perchance the OP could wave his wand? :)
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

as per what WharfRat said:
- it's a clean install to revert back.
do backup your data - First !.

you think that win-10 is better :?:
now that it's System Restore is Turned Off by default,
- try reversing backwards on that
:roll:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

I DO LOVE 18.2!!!!!!

Post by sphyrth »

And you'll be relying on your Forum Name (magic and chance) for me not to like it.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magicchance »

WharfRat wrote:You'll have to reinstall your former OS from 2 days ago after backing up your data.
As I just wrote to a very unhelpful troll, I have been using LM as my sole OS for the last 2-1/2 years. I am very happy with LM in general, but so far I am having too many issues with v18.2 and would like to go back in time 2 days to what ever I was using before trying on v18.2. I'm a pretty raw newbie still on the coding end of things. I realize my messages are going to sound that way, and so that's why I posted in the newbie zone in the first place. Because I know full well that I require basic spoon feeding type of answers. All I know, is that 2 days ago my OS was updated and no data was lost. I'm just asking if this same process can go in reverse. I just want to go back to the LM version I was using before 18.2 hit my HD.
Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jim Hauser »

You have system backups? Then it is easy...

I backup completely once per week and have complete system backups going back 12 weeks at this time. Restore only takes me 1 hour and 15 minutes (restored many times and works without fail.)

The moderators on this forum are not responsible for your bad luck (or bad habits.)

Before you do anything else develop a backup plan. In many cases it may be your only recourse.

Backups are a good "last resort."
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

magicchance wrote:How about go
A moderator will be along shortly.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Do not like 18.2!

Post by michael louwe »

@ magicchance, .......

Inplace OS upgrades over the Internet is often dicey or risky, ie users should make a system image before proceeding with an inplace upgrade, in case of issues/problems, eg file corruption. Usually, it's better to do a clean install of a newly-released OS.
... In your case, for system recovery, you likely have to do a clean install of the old OS of 2 days ago or the new LM 18.2.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

magicchance wrote:
WharfRat wrote:You'll have to reinstall your former OS from 2 days ago after backing up your data.
All I know, is that 2 days ago my OS was updated and no data was lost. I'm just asking if this same process can go in reverse. I just want to go back to the LM version I was using before 18.2 hit my HD.
If you're now at 18.2 after performing an upgrade then your were previously at version 18.1.

Unfortunately there is no way to revert back to version18.1after upgrading to 18.2 aside from reinstalling that version.

I don't know what your experience is with 18.2 as you didn't elaborate, but I did an in-place upgrade from 18.1 and did not experience any ill effects.
ImageImage
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

If the prime reason that LM 18.2 is giving you problems, and when trying to shut down, you come up with a "gnome-keychain-daemon" or "boot partition overflow alarm, try this from a previous posting related to "dangling kernels". It is something that has worked for me and others on dozens of updated machines: [
Re: Low Disk Space on "boot"

Report this post

postby XeoNoX » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:51 pm
if you are interested in doing it the alternative way using byobu if for whatever reason you cant load the mint updater, then here are the commands for terminal
it'll remove all kernels except your current kernel and the two old ones and free up some space on your linux mint boot partition

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install byobu

Followed by:

Code: Select all
sudo purge-old-kernels
*]
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

magicchance wrote:
As I just wrote to a very unhelpful troll, I have been using LM as my sole OS for the last 2-1/2 years. I am very happy with LM in general, but so far I am having too many issues with v18.2 and would like to go back in time 2 days to what ever I was using before trying on v18.2. I'm a pretty raw newbie still on the coding end of things. I realize my messages are going to sound that way, and so that's why I posted in the newbie zone in the first place. Because I know full well that I require basic spoon feeding type of answers. All I know, is that 2 days ago my OS was updated and no data was lost. I'm just asking if this same process can go in reverse. I just want to go back to the LM version I was using before 18.2 hit my HD.

You really might just want to download a copy and install it. Back up your data first.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

If you have problems finding your ISO, just post and we can help you.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=190
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Another thought. Have you tried booting to an earlier kernel? That's one of the things which would have been updated during the upgrade. Easy to test whether using the earlier kernel solves your problems, as you don't have to uninstall or reinstall anything.

Hit the Esc key about once per second during boot-up; this will bring up the grub menu; second item on the list will be Advanced Options; arrow down to select, hit Enter; arrow down to the last previous one, the plain one not marked upstart or recovery; hit Enter. Computer will boot as usual. Test whether still having your problems. If this solved them, come back to find out how to make the change permanent (revert the kernel). If not, try the next strategy.
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magicchance »

Thanks guys for the helpful responses. I'm still trying to figure out why a newbie is being flamed so bad for posting in the newbie section, but oh well.

Anyway, here are my experiences with Sophia 18.2 so far, and why we are not getting along so well, she and I. In order of importance...:

1. WIFI connectivity issues. Under Cinn. I had no connectivity issues to speak of. Under Sophia, I am lucky to get 2 uninterrupted minutes of usage, before 5 to 10 minutes of down time, while the system tries 6 or 7 times to (finally!) reconnect. Only to have it start all over again 2 minutes later! #AARGHHH!!!

2. I have a very nice auxiliary WIFI antennae, but Sophia no longer recognizes the port or socket for it, and so I am left with just my laptop's built-in WIFI. See #1 above. I need a lesson in finding and re-opening that aux WIFI port, so I can stop having to reply on the slower and weaker built-in.

3. Desktop icons under Sophia can not be re-seized like they could with Cinn. With Cinn., you could right-click and drag the corners larger or smaller. But I've yet to find a way to do the same thing with Sophia.

4. Cinn. had a Menu command like so: Menu>Recent Files>Clear Recent. This was very handy to me. I can not find the same command under Sophia.

If anyone knows how to fix these issues, I am all ears!!!!!
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

magicchance wrote: I'm still trying to figure out why a newbie is being flamed so bad for posting in the newbie section, but oh well.
No one has flamed you for posting in the newbie section. You have gotten some flak for the way you posted, but not the location.
Personally I'm still wondering why you specifically asked the mods to answer you, and never replied when people told you that that is not what mods are for. Oh well.

At least you are now listing issues, and asking for help with them. This is a step forward.
magicchance wrote: Under Cinn. I had no connectivity issues to speak of. Under Sophia, I am lucky to get 2 uninterrupted minutes of usage, before 5 to 10 minutes of down time, while the system tries 6 or 7 times to (finally!) reconnect
Cinnamon is a desktop environment. Sonya is a version. The Sonya version of Linux Mint comes with four different desktop environments: KDE, Mate, XCFE and Cinnamon.
It may be helpful to tell people what you current desktop environment is. Not just the version (18.2 / Sonya).

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magicchance »

Moem wrote:Cinnamon is a desktop environment. Sonya is a version. The Sonya version of Linux Mint comes with four different desktop environments: KDE, Mate, XCFE and Cinnamon. It may be helpful to tell people what you current desktop environment is. Not just the version (18.2 / Sonya).
I have no idea. I updated to what ever was suggested by the Update Manager.

Return to “Newbie Questions”