Do not like 18.2!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Do not like 18.2!

Post by Mick-Cork »

In your main menu, do you have the option to select preferences / system info. If so, can you post back here what it says alongside 'Operating System'.

I'm guessing it's going to say 'Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2 nn-Bit' but you're going to have to confirm what OS/DE you're actually running to start with if you want constructive help.

On one of your points (and assuming Cinnamon DE), check main menu / privacy and confirm whether 'Remenber recently accessed files' is turned on or off. If it's on then recent files will be remembered and 'Clear list' will show at the bottom of the list when you click on menu / 'Recent Files'.
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magicchance »

Mick-Cork wrote:In your main menu, do you have the option to select preferences / system info. If so, can you post back here what it says alongside 'Operating System'.
Here it is...:
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magicchance »

Mick-Cork wrote:On one of your points (and assuming Cinnamon DE), check main menu / privacy and confirm whether 'Remenber recently accessed files' is turned on or off. If it's on then recent files will be remembered and 'Clear list' will show at the bottom of the list when you click on menu / 'Recent Files'.
That did the trick! #4 from my list is fixed. Much appreciated!
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Item 3: Desktop Icon sizes.

I don't bother with desktop icons as I prefer the 'minimalist' look, however I think 18.2 replaced the option to resize individual icons with a global option where you can specify 'Smaller' 'Normal' or 'Larger'. Right click on the desktop, select Desktop / Icon Size, then choose whichever. Your selection is applied to all icons.

If that's a show-stopper then you might choose to revert back to Cinnamon 18.1 without investigating any other probs further. Your choice, and if you do decide to revert then i'm sure you'll get guidance here on the forum.
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magicchance »

Mick-Cork wrote:Item 3: Desktop Icon sizes.

I don't bother with desktop icons as I prefer the 'minimalist' look, however I think 18.2 replaced the option to resize individual icons with a global option where you can specify 'Smaller' 'Normal' or 'Larger'. Right click on the desktop, select Desktop / Icon Size, then choose whichever. Your selection is applied to all icons.
Found it. See, that's another idiosyncrasy. Why isn't that same command also inside the Desktop Settings? That's where I'd been looking for it; seemed like the natural place to find settings that affected the desktop, right? /s

OK, so the 2 low level cosmetic items on my list have been fixed, but what about my WIFI issues? Anyone?...
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Try booting to an earlier kernel, as suggested above. Might solve both WiFi issues.
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magicchance »

pbear wrote:Try booting to an earlier kernel, as suggested above. Might solve both WiFi issues.
I did exactly as you said just now, but it didn't work. Should I try again, but go to an even lower kernal in the list?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

magicchance wrote:but what about my WIFI issues? Anyone?...
We have a forums section specifically for wifi questions. You might try posting there. There's a guy here who is very good with wifi questions, but he wouldn't know that this post was about a wifi problem unless he read through the entire thread. So, post in the wifi forums section, and put something in the subject line about the problem, you know, like "wifi won't connect", or "wifi gets disconnected" or "Problems with Netgear wifi" or whatever, something that gives a hint of the problem you are having. He will probably see that, and he will probably help you.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

magicchance wrote:Should I try again, but go to an even lower kernal in the list?
Nah. As you did the upgrade just a few days ago, one kernel back is enough to test this path. jimallyn's suggestion sounds like the best next step.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

When I upgraded from 18.1 to 18.2 (xfce) the kernel did not change--it stayed on the 4.4 series.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Yes, but you ungraded within the kernel series, which also can cause regressions. That's why all kernel upgrades are marked Level 4.
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

I was under the impression that the 18 series used the 4.8 kernel and that is no longer supported. I suggest using a later kernel, I use 4.10 and have no problems with it.
Homebrew Intel i7 8700k 32gb RAM
LinuxMint 20 Mate
Win 10 for games
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

We're getting a bit afield from the OP but, no, that's not right. Anyone running 18 or 18.1 who upgrades to 18.2 stays on the 4.4 kernel unless they choose otherwise. They get security upgrades but that's all. Someone installing 18.2 fresh gets the 4.8 kernel, then will be pushed 4.10 in Update Manger because 4.8 is already out of support. Hope that clarifies things. If you want to discuss further, you really should open another thread.

Return to “Newbie Questions”