Window tiling shortcuts move me into TTY

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Ctulhu
Level 2
Level 2

Window tiling shortcuts move me into TTY

Post by Ctulhu »

Hi all
I have a fresh install of a Linux Mint 18.2 64 bit on a Dell Desktop. Because of power outages, this thing crashed twice and now it's kinda messed up. For instance, the boot options don't offer USB anymore, the computer can't boot from CD anymore, but whatever, my main issue now is this:

- when I press Super+Left, then I get moved to tty6; if I do it again, to tty5, etc.
- when I press Super+Right, then I get to a black tty-like screen just with a flashing cursor, but if I do again, I again cycle through tty 1-7.

This in spite of the fact that, in the system settings, Super + Left/Right is for window tiling/snapping and in fact, it does that, too because when I do that with a window, I get sent to tty, but when I go back to the GUI, the windows has moved as directed. How the hell do I get rid of this? Thanks for any input you may have...
zaqcroyd
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Window tiling shortcuts move me into TTY

Post by zaqcroyd »

You will spend more time tracking down and fixing all the things that the crashed installs messed up than it will take to just clear the bad installation and re-install clean (hopefully without any crashes). Just make sure you have saved any data you care about before reinstalling.
Ctulhu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ctulhu »

Yes, I was thinking that and I'd be happy to do it - the problem is that whatever happened there must have had some impact on the BIOS as well because (i) the system can't boot from a DVD anymore and (ii) doesn't offer the USB ports anymore for booting from those. I was hoping for a fix because I wouldn't know how to even do a clean install; in 8 years of Mint, it's the first time that kind of stuff has happened ...

Thanks anyway!
zaqcroyd
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zaqcroyd »

I would try getting into the BIOS and seeing if you can fix some of your basic problems, like access to the CD/DVD and the USB ports. If you can get that straightened out, you can just do a clean reinstall.
Ctulhu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ctulhu »

Yes, thanks, I'll try that!

Return to “Newbie Questions”