Problem with mounting a windows hdd

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dykesy61
Level 1
Level 1

Problem with mounting a windows hdd

Post by dykesy61 »

my son's laptop failed - it would not even start up
so I removed the hdd and then put it into a caddy and connected it my linux mint 18.2 system
I had hoped I would be able to see it, but GParted would not read it, and the system would not mount it - there was an error on the drive and I needed to mount it Read Only I was told
so I did the following:
sudo fdisk -l to find the drive
sudo mkdir /media/iain to create a folder
sudo mount -ro /dev/sdb3 /media/iain

and then it told me that /media/iain does not exist even though I checked it does by going to /media/ and listing the contents
and so it would not link the partition with the folder

what am I missing?
how can get into the drive to see if I can recover anything?

many thanks

dykesy61

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Problem with mounting a windows hdd

Post by Flemur »

dykesy61 wrote:my son's laptop failed - it would not even start up
how can get into the drive to see if I can recover anything?
Which version of windows? IOW, was the computer shutdown with "fast startup" enabled?

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pr ... rtup-mode/
"When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot."

The usual fix is to boot the windows computer with disk attached and shut it down fully, then boot linux and try to access the disk, but since your windows computer won't boot ...
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

FrostyRussian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FrostyRussian »

Probably not what you like to hear, but did you try to hook it up to machine with Windows OS? Im pretty sure you have better chance to open it like that, not to mention that you can run chkdsk to scan and fix (possibly) fix errors. My OS failed few times over the years and i always just hooked it up to windows machine and recoved latest files.

Anyway you could try ntfsfix /dev/sdb3 from mint.

dykesy61
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dykesy61 »

thanks for the advice - I have now connected it successfully to a windows laptop!
all sorted
thank you
dykesy61

Return to “Newbie Questions”