[SOLVED] Can't get new messages with Thunderbird Mail

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ablebaker
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Can't get new messages with Thunderbird Mail

Postby ablebaker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:48 pm

I'm using Mint 18.2, Cinnamon, and am having trouble getting Thunderbird Mail set up. Initially, it successfully downloaded some 32,000 messages from the ISP server, but now when I click "Get Messages" no new messages are downloaded, even though I can see activity on the modem lights and the progress bar at the bottom of the Inbox window shows activity. I know there are new messages on the server since the completion of the initial download to Thunderbird Mail, but they aren't getting into the Inbox.

Help, please.
Last edited by ablebaker on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

administrollaattori
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Can't get new messages with Thunderbird Mail

Postby administrollaattori » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Backup your .thunderbird folder and make a new profile.

Code: Select all

mv ~/.thunderbird ~/thunderbird.orig

ablebaker
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ablebaker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:34 pm

Thank you for your reply. I used your suggested code, then relaunched Thunderbird and reentered server information. Then waited for the 32,000 messages to download again. With that completed, I sent a test message successfully, then clicked "Get Messages" with the same result as before: the new message is not downloaded to Thunderbird's Inbox. The bottom of the Inbox window says "Checking Inbox for new messages" and the indicator bar is moving. Activity lights on the modem are rapidly flickering as if something is being downloaded, but nothing is transferred to Thunderbird Inbox.

Anything else to try? Thank you for taking the time to try to help.

administrollaattori
Level 12
Level 12

Postby administrollaattori » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:03 am

ablebaker wrote:Thank you for your reply. I used your suggested code, then relaunched Thunderbird and reentered server information. Then waited for the 32,000 messages to download again. With that completed, I sent a test message successfully, then clicked "Get Messages" with the same result as before: the new message is not downloaded to Thunderbird's Inbox. The bottom of the Inbox window says "Checking Inbox for new messages" and the indicator bar is moving. Activity lights on the modem are rapidly flickering as if something is being downloaded, but nothing is transferred to Thunderbird Inbox.

Anything else to try? Thank you for taking the time to try to help.

You need to go into your email using browser, and check your email-provider's settings (imap, smtp and security).

ablebaker
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ablebaker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:53 pm

I've checked and double-checked the settings, but still no success in getting new messages to download to Inbox. This is a POP account, if that makes a difference in your troubleshooting efforts.

I'm new to Linux Mint and am impressed by its stability and (generally) trouble-free performance. These qualities made me want to use it as my sole operating system, but if I can't get email to work, I'll have to abandon that idea. It's disappointing that Thunderbird isn't working for me. I thought since it came bundled with Mint there wouldn't be these set-up problems. Do you have any recommendations for other "Linux-friendly" email clients to try?

Again, thank you for your help.

now3by
Level 1
Level 1

Postby now3by » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:05 pm

After I update this week Thunderbird from 1.52.2.1 to 1.52.3.0 ubuntu 14.04.01, some of my emails account are also unable to login and get emails ( from yahoo ).

As an alternative I am using SeaMonkey it have email client.
Linux...

administrollaattori
Level 12
Level 12

Postby administrollaattori » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:31 pm

ablebaker wrote: Do you have any recommendations for other "Linux-friendly" email clients to try?

Evolution is good. I use Sylpheed sometimes too.

ablebaker
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ablebaker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:11 pm

After I deleted nearly all of the messages from the inbox of my ISP mail account, Thunderbird starting checking for new messages successfully.

Termy
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Can't get new messages with Thunderbird Mail

Postby Termy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:57 pm

The only thing I can think of is that there is a limit somewhere, or that you ran out of space, or perhaps allotted space. 32,000 E-Mails is a lot, I'd have thunk. Maybe Thunderbird just isn't best suited for that task? I love it, but I don't store that many. :lol: I looked for a limit just now, but the closest thing I could see was a limit before it starts deleting messages; not quite what you'd be after, me thinks. It might actually not have been Thunderbird -- maybe it was the actual E-Mail service's limit.
Here to help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”