wifi hotspot linux mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wildstone

wifi hotspot linux mint

Post by Wildstone »

hey guyz . Please help me how can i enable wifi hotspot . i already tried doing it through the setting by add wifi and set up the config .. after doing these steps i get the wifi hotspot with 0 signals .. any software .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: wifi hotspot linux mint

Post by kukamuumuka »

Hotspot from Mint or to Mint?
Wildstone

Post by Wildstone »

wifi hotspot from my os so i can use on mobile phone .. from linux
Wildstone

Post by Wildstone »

i have already tried this method ::

down vote
Simple steps: Create wifi hotspot in ubuntu

Disable Wifi (Uncheck Enable Wi-Fi)
Go to network connection (Edit Connections...)
Click "Add"
Choose "Wi-Fi" and click "Create"
Type in Connection name like "wifi-hotspot"
Type in SSID as you wish
Choose Device MAC Address from the dropdown (wlan0)
Wifi Security select "WPA & WPA2 Personal" and set a password.
Go to IPv4 Settings tab, from Method drop-down box select Shared to other computers.
Then save and close.
Open Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type in the following command with your connection name used in step 5.
sudo gedit /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/wifi-hotspot
Find mode=infrastructure and change it to mode=ap
Now check the network section where wi-fi will be connected to the created hotspot automatically. If you can not find it, go to Connect to Hidden Network... Find the connection and connect to it.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Network settings->Create wireless hotspot.
minitux

Post by minitux »

on Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, I created a wifi hotspot of my DSL connection this way
Network Manager-->network connections-->add-->wifi and set

and I share my DSL network (ethernet modem with user name and password provided by ISP) through the pc's wifi card to connect smartphones and tablets

In Mint 18.2 kde plasma 5 , i use another way, configuring a hot spot wifi from plasma-nm

EDIT i'm now on kde
plasma-nm-->configure connections-->add
Wildstone

Post by Wildstone »

this method is not working . i have tried this method like 10 times... whenever i created through this method i get the wifi hotspot woth 0% signals ...
minitux

Post by minitux »

I only have the DSL connection to test and for me that procedure works.

unfortunately I can not say anything else, but what connection do you have? do you have an ethernet connection?

what exactly is it? maybe somebody you know how to help.
Wildstone

Post by Wildstone »

I am using wifi internet !! Actually i am in university and using their wifi . So i want to share the internet with my phone through my pc i can't have access to the uni internet through my mobile because we have to submit our MAC address in the office to have internet so i already submitted for my laptop ::
minitux

Post by minitux »

I think it's not possible because I do not think the wifi card can receive and transmit at the same time

or receives or transmits, but not together
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Wildstone wrote:I am using wifi internet !! Actually i am in university and using their wifi . So i want to share the internet with my phone through my pc i can't have access to the uni internet through my mobile because we have to submit our MAC address in the office to have internet so i already submitted for my laptop ::
Are you sure you're limited to one device?
Wildstone

Post by Wildstone »

yup ... but back when i had window 10 i can use without any trouble .Now in Linux i don't know what to do ?
Wildstone

Post by Wildstone »

I am getting this ..
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

I don't believe it's possible to have a wi-fi hotspot when your PC is connected to the Internet via wi-fi due to hardware limitations. In fact, if you try to set up a wi-fi hotspot using Menu, Network, Create a Wireless Hotspot, you will get a message telling you:

"If you have a connection to the Internet other than wireless, you can set up a wireless hotspot to share the connection with others, Switching on the wireless hotspot will disconnect you from (your existing wi-fi connection).

It is not possible to access the Internet through your wireless while the hotspot is active."
Dell Inspiron 1525 Core 2 Duo T5850 4GB Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia Cinnamon 6.0.4
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

There are two possible alternatives:
1) Get your phone registered and see if you can share the phone connection as a wireless hotspot. I don't know if this is possible while the phone is connected to the router's wifi.

2) Change your Mint Mac address to be the same as your phone. Just make sure they're not both trying to connect to wifi at the same time as I assume it will cause problems.
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

Found this here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/318973/ ... dap#324785

"I managed to setup a wireless hotspot to share the internet connection from the same single wireless interface device. This wireless device must to use an Atheros driver that is already build with nl80211 support. Next I will show you how."
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

Another solution here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... 4441#84441

I think I'll try this one myself in order to extend the range of my wi-fi. It will be interesting to see the impact on range and Internet access performance.
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

jimbobs wrote:Another solution here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... 4441#84441

I think I'll try this one myself in order to extend the range of my wi-fi. It will be interesting to see the impact on range and Internet access performance.
Didn't work for me. I got the error message:
ERROR: Your adapter does not support AP (master) mode
Wildstone

Post by Wildstone »

the first method u mention .. did it worked for you
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

Wildstone wrote:the first method u mention .. did it worked for you
No, because i don't have an Atheros driver.

Code: Select all

jfr@Inspiron-1525 ~ $ lsmod | grep ath
jfr@Inspiron-1525 ~ $ 
Last edited by jimbobs on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Beginner Questions”