Top Panel in Linux Mint 18.2 MATE hides close button, please help.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ace_75
Level 1
Level 1

Top Panel in Linux Mint 18.2 MATE hides close button, please help.

Postby ace_75 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Dear All
Hi and Good morning.
I have installed Linux Mint 18.2 OS (MATE) in dual boot with Win 10 on my Intel NUC. I am facing a problem while working here with panels. I have added two panels both at top and bottom of the screen.
Whenever I open a Terminal or few applications (not all), the Top Panel hides their top portion. As a result, I am unable to close this Application, as the close button on the top right corner of this application is hidden under the top panel. I have to move them slightly at a lower level to close them. But this does not happen with all applications e.g. Firefox, Home Folder etc; they work fine.
Is there any way to open these pop up windows/ messages at a slightly lower level permanently.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Regards

Mute Ant
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Top Panel in Linux Mint 18.2 MATE hides close button, please help.

Postby Mute Ant » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:17 pm

I think if you hold the ALT key you can mouse-drag the mis-behaving window down a bit. Then press 'maximise' and it will find the new panel and avoid it in future.
Do you ever have deja vu Mrs. Lancaster?
I don’t think so, but I could check with the kitchen.

ace_75
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Top Panel in Linux Mint 18.2 MATE hides close button, please help.

Postby ace_75 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:15 am

Thanks for your reply. I found another way of moving the "corrupt" window. But it does not prevent the same window from opening at a little lower level. Can you suggest me a way to keep it in memory of that window so that the Top Panel does not interfere in its view, the next time I open it.
Please guide.
Thanks.

Return to “Newbie Questions”