Firejail doesn't see Desktop properly [clarified/solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
GodinRegion
Level 1
Level 1

Firejail doesn't see Desktop properly [clarified/solved]

Postby GodinRegion » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:56 pm

So right now, I'm trying out Firejail and it's pretty good, unobtrusive, but it has a problem. Downloading into the Downloads folder works fine and I can see it, but downloading to Desktop does some weird things. The file apparently downloads to desktop properly, but I can't see the file on the desktop; it opens properly, but I simply can't see it, not even with hidden files turned on. One time I even got locked out for most of the home folder (I could only see Downloads and Desktop), so I had to restart. The browser is Firefox.
Last edited by GodinRegion on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

rene
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Firejail doesn't see Desktop properly

Postby rene » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:56 am

That is exactly what Firejail does; any location not explicitly whitelisted -- such as ~/Downloads is in the standard Firefox profile that comes with Firejail -- is private to the through Firejail started program (started instance even unless you arrange otherwise). If ~/Downloads is not enough as a non-private location you'll need to explicitly configure things.

Pjotr
Level 19
Level 19

Postby Pjotr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:03 am

As rene says. Each and every folder, including the Desktop folder, is a fake virtual folder in the Firejail sandbox. The only exception (for obvious reasons) is the folder Downloads.

This is what Firejail does, and it's even its sole purpose of existence: it prevents Firefox (and thus attack software on malicious websites) from accessing the real folders in your /home, in order to protect the content of those.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

GodinRegion
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GodinRegion » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:38 am

Ok, got it; the desktop folder is a virtual folder. It confused me because I couldn't access any other folder in Home for obvious reasons, but I could see Desktop. Thanks for clarifying.

EDIT
Also, for anyone who wishes to do so, the option is --whitelist=dirname_or_filename.
Last edited by GodinRegion on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pjotr
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Firejail doesn't see Desktop properly [clarified/solved]

Postby Pjotr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:48 am

Also on behalf of rene (if that's not too presumptuous): you're welcome. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Newbie Questions”