Mint regularly resets interface adjustments

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Dirkoir
Level 3
Level 3

Mint regularly resets interface adjustments

Postby Dirkoir » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am

Hello, gurus:

I am on Linux Mint 17 Qiana, and it drives me a little nuts by constantly switching back to its default settings from certain adjustments I make to its user interface, specifically these two:

1. keyboard layout (I would like it to default to the EurKEY layout I installed)
2. disabled middle-click (the accidental random text pasting in my manuscripts from the mouse wheel is a nemesis)

I found a way via a bash script (Exec=xinput set-button-map [mouse-id] 3 0 1 (yes, it's left-handed;-)) to automatically, on start-up, disable the mouse-wheel-click by placing the script in ~.config/autostart (well, that's where the System Settings Control Center GUI places it -- /etc/xdg/autostart might be better to serve all the accounts).

As for the EurKEY keyboard, I don't know how to script it's selection. I have to pick it manually.

Things would be fine, except these adjustments just don't stick!

In the case of the keyboard layout, it seems to reset every time the laptop goes to sleep (suspends). In the case of the middle-mouse-click it has also come back at various times, but it doesn't seem to be connected to suspension or relogging, at least not reliably.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Last edited by Dirkoir on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
______
Linux Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon 64-bit

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LM 17 resets interface adjustments

Postby Tomgin5 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:34 pm

First of all backup ALL of your data.
Save your "HOME" to a flash drive.
Install a newer OS preferrably LM 18.2 64 Cinnamon.
Swap out hour home data. Bring back your archived files from your backups.
do your settings in "System Settings" for your rodent and keyboard.
Enjoy! :D

Dirkoir
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LM 17 resets interface adjustments

Postby Dirkoir » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:48 am

Tomgin5 wrote:First of all backup ALL of your data.
Save your "HOME" to a flash drive.
Install a newer OS preferrably LM 18.2 64 Cinnamon.
Swap out your home data. Bring back your archived files from your backups.
do your settings in "System Settings" for your rodent and keyboard.
Enjoy! :D

Uhm... thanks for replying. You didn't really address the problem I asked about, but I wonder if you are implying the problem has been reported as a bug and fixed in the LM 18.2 update?

Actually, upgrading from LM 17 to 18 surely wouldn't be as easy for me as you make it out to be, Tomgin5, which is why I am not keen to do that, especially when LM 18.2 might have the same no-persistence-of-user-adjustments bug for all I know.

After I installed LM 17 back when it was the newest version and I was coming to Linux, I had to make a bunch of adjustments (for instance decent scrollbars, a useful keyboard layout, etc.) to the vanilla version of LM 17 to make it work well (and fight hard to get WIFI to work, something that the kernel in LM 18 might handle better, admittedly). I've also had to install a LOT of applications. All of this would be wiped out by a new install/upgrade. Ouch! I am not eager to deal with that any time soon, and to my knowledge LM 17 is still well in its support phase. Being able to keep a functioning version around for some years is actually the main reason I picked Mint over other Linux distros. ;-) (Boy, this conversation makes me long for the pre-unixish Macintosh OS days, where you could just swap different system folders without losing your installed applications (hmm... seems they're saying OS X handles this similarly although it breaks many applications due to backwards-incompatibility). This was so much easier to work with than anything we have nowadays (except for virtual machines, system emulators, and compatibility layers -- they're nice).) In other words, my Linux Mint 17 is so heavily customized and packed with installed applications, redoing all that work in LM 18 would take me... weeks, probably, with most likely months of after shocks discovering things I still haven't re-installed. The intertwining of applications with the operating system is Linux's greatest downside, IMHO.

So, the big question remains: what indication is there that LM 18 wouldn't do the same thing (or worse things?) to me than LM 17 is doing switching back from my interface tweaks? Has this issue been addressed in LM 18? Does it have a way to turn off the middle-click in the mouse control panel, perhaps, and a repaired keyboard control panel for handling default choices properly?

I hope someone can address the issue I asked about in the original post. It'd be great. :-)
Last edited by Dirkoir on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
______

Dirkoir
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint regularly resets interface adjustments

Postby Dirkoir » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:03 am

Bump
______

Return to “Newbie Questions”