Video editor

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
aftereight88
Level 1
Level 1

Video editor

Postby aftereight88 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi, I’m looking for a video editing programme. I’ve installed Openshot from software manager and can add files but can find no way to proceed from there. Have downloaded the same,and also avidemux but don’t understand how to install them. Can you recommend any others please.All I need to do is merge video clips of up to a minute long and some trimming and maybe convert. I’m very new to Linux as you’ve probably realised and apart from Firefox and office am completely lost. I am using ‘Sonya’.. Thanks in advance , Mike

Palladini921
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Video editor

Postby Palladini921 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:18 pm

I use Kdenlive. Use your software Manager and in the search area enter Kdenlive, then download the 3 files that show up once you press enter. Then search Kdenlive on You-tube for help of all kind. Many videos there to help you do anything.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... e+tutorial

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:27 pm

For OpenShot the user guide provides some info: http://www.openshot.org/user-guide/. I think you'll want to look at the Clips and Transitions chapters. Like for Kdenlive, a video tutorial for transitioning clips is probably good to get started.

Perhaps https://www.shotcutapp.com/ is easier, at least it is marketed as such. You download the Linux file from their website and extract it in your home directory and run it from there. They have some quick video tutorials on their website which look very easy for combining clips.

Avidemux is not available on your Linux Mint version except also to download it from their website http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/ and run it from your home directory. Also here I'd start with a video tutorial.

There are more alternatives but with above and previous comment you have the most popular ones: https://alternativeto.net/software/open ... form=linux

cutano
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cutano » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Kdenlive.

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Hoser Rob » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:13 am

aftereight88 wrote:... All I need to do is merge video clips of up to a minute long and some trimming and maybe convert....

If the videos don't match in a few key parameters like resolution you'll have to convert before joining them. Things that seem simple with video often aren't.

Kdenlive is very good but maybe not the best choice for those new to video processing. It's pretty complex. Openshot and Avidemux are probably the best in terms of having decent power and ease of use.

When you say you downloaded avidemux etc do you mean tarballs ie. tar.gz files? Those are something Linux beginners should avoid ... tarball installs don't handle the dependency libraries like apt does so you have to do that yourself. Linux beginners don't have a clue how to do this, you can mess up things installing incompatible libraries, and the apps aren't updated like other ones on your system.

There's a good ppa for avidemux here ... I dislike ppas too but I'll use them if I really need the app ...

https://launchpad.net/~rebuntu16/+archi ... unofficial

phd21
Level 14
Level 14

Postby phd21 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:41 am

Hi "aftereight88",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

What is it that you want to do specifically and for what purpose? Emailing to friends and family, business presentation, the web, creating a DVD?

There are a few excellent video editors available, some of which have already been mentioned. Some of these also have the "AppImage" option for installing and running them, like Kdenlive, OpenShot, Avidemux, Shotcut, etc... "Fuse" must be installed from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) first to run AppImages, and I think it usually is.

There are also slideshow movie makers to consider as well, "ffDiaporama", Imagination, etc...

The superb "Kdenlive" is actually pretty easy to use for basic video editing (adding and editing video, audio, and picture clips and creating (rendering) a new video) and will offer to automatically change video clips (transcode) when adding them to match the video resolution of your video project's profile. Linux Mint Cinnamon, Mate, and Xfce users will probably need to install "kde-runtime" which is perfectly safe to do. I would highly recommend using the Kdenlive PPA for current versions, and install all recommended and suggested packages from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

Other video editors: Lives, Cinelerra-cv, Lightworks (LWS professional), Pitivi, etc...

There are many posts in this forum and on the Internet regarding this topic.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.2, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Flemur » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:18 pm

aftereight88 wrote:All I need to do is merge video clips of up to a minute long and some trimming and maybe convert.

I haven't been happy with linux video editors (unreliable and complicated) but often use avidemux for what you describe - it works like an audio editor, simple for cut/paste/trim/remove chunks. It has good effects, but it's not good for transitions and fades and such. Let's you replace audio easily. If you want to merge video clips they'll need to be the same size (resolution) first, which you can do with avidemux. If you just edit one file you can re-save it in the original format without re-compressing except at edit boundaries.

Get the "2.7.0 Final (appImage), FossHub" version from
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/download.html
"appImage" is a complete stand-alone program that reduces problems with incompatible libraries. You need pulseaudio, which you probably have.
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

aftereight88
Level 1
Level 1

Postby aftereight88 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 pm

aftereight88 wrote:Hi, I’m looking for a video editing programme. I’ve installed Openshot from software manager and can add files but can find no way to proceed from there. Have downloaded the same,and also avidemux but don’t understand how to install them. Can you recommend any others please.All I need to do is merge video clips of up to a minute long and some trimming and maybe convert. I’m very new to Linux as you’ve probably realised and apart from Firefox and office am completely lost. I am using ‘Sonya’.. Thanks in advance , Mike

aftereight88
Level 1
Level 1

Postby aftereight88 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks for your replies, I am working through them to see which best answers my needs, ,Regards , Mike

Return to “Newbie Questions”