Help I keep getting a login loop!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
therageofkage
Level 1
Level 1

Help I keep getting a login loop!

Postby therageofkage » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Ok, so about 2 weeks ago my network connection started freaking out. It would connect then disconnect still showing it was connected. It may have been from adding software that screwed with the network manager. I had installed the "wicd"? software which in hindsight was stupid. Now here it is that I keep getting a login loop at the start screen, once I do get into the desktop, it won't open up any of the applications, can't access file manger, can't access system setting, I can only get into terminal and the home screen window. I need to get this problem fixed. I need help, if anyone can guide me to a solution I would greatly appreciate it. I am running Rosa ona Dell Inspiron. I had windows on it but encountered a bios error when updating after installing Windows 10, I took it to a guy who said the only way to get the laptop running was to install Linux mint. There is more to the story, but I won't bother with too many details. Thank you in advance for any help in that day to this cluster fudge.
Last edited by WharfRat on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed the topic subject from 'Help' to something that describes the issue

NessM
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Help I keep getting a login loop!

Postby NessM » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:16 pm

This is a quick fix, or at least something worth a try...

You mention you have access to the terminal. Create a new account (new user) inside the terminal. Then log in on that newly created user account. It should work. You should see an 'empty' enviroment, but you can start from there : Just transfer your files from the old (non working) user account to the new account. There are good guides (some with screenshots) around that will guide you to create a new user account on the terminal. Don't forget your sudos.

There are other ways to recover the old account, but you should check first if you can create a new account from the terminal. This could give you a hint about where the real problem is.

I hope this works for you.
Code. Find bugs and report them. Support Developers by donations. Provide feedback. Make suggestions. Support other users. Keep in mind support is provided you for free. Take a shower regularly.

Return to “Newbie Questions”