fixing corrupted disk

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alan.lmint

fixing corrupted disk

Post by alan.lmint »

Not sure this is a newbie question, but it's new to me.

Have an old Dell 1545 with 17.2 installed. Tried to update it, and the system crashed. Cannot boot into recovery mode as it runs fsck, finds multiple media errors, and terminates with:
"Call Trace:
dump_stack+0x41/0x52
panic+0x78/0x181
do_exit+0xBef/0x8f0
? vfs_write+0x13c/0x1b0
SyS_exit+0x16/0x20
syscall_call+0x7/0x7"
(Plus disk block numbers)

Tried to recover by booting a new version from usb stick. Got the live Mint, but when I tried to install it runs into the same hang.

Can't figure how to recover the file system. Don't care about any data. Would reformat, but can't get to tools or hard drive from live Mint.
Any thoughts on where to start, or if needed a different forum channel.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: fixing corrupted disk

Post by Pjotr »

Dead or dying disk. Replace it....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
alan.lmint

Post by alan.lmint »

Pretty sure the corruption resulted from a power down when the writes to disk were hung. Can't be the only one who screwed this up.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Well, I'm afraid it looks like physical damage to me....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

alan.lmint wrote:Not sure this is a newbie question, but it's new to me.

Have an old Dell 1545 with 17.2 installed. Tried to update it, and the system crashed.
I'm with Pjotr. It's a physical disk problem. I'm afraid that if you can't see anything on the disk at all then your data is gone.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
zaqcroyd

Post by zaqcroyd »

Is there ANYTHING on that disk you care about? If not, you could always try to use Gparted on the LiveUSB to blow away all of the existing damaged partitions and start from scratch. However, just in case there really is physical problems with the disk or controller, you should figure out who the manufacturer is (Gparted should show you in the View>Device Information pane what the disk type and model is) and visit their web site to see if they provide a free surface analysis tool that you can run from Live Media. They usually need to run overnight and can often generate a bad blocks table that you can feed to the kernel (which only makes sense if there are only a few bad blocks; otherwise give up and buy a new disk).

If it was my machine (and assuming it takes SATA drives), I would just go buy a new SSD and start over - you will have a much faster machine when you are done.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

zaqcroyd wrote:Is there ANYTHING on that disk you care about? If not, you could always try to use Gparted on the LiveUSB to blow away all of the existing damaged partitions and start from scratch.
That won't help on a physically dying disk. It's time to toss it, and as you said, consider getting an SSD.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Sounds like the HDD has died...as I see it you have two choices...buy a new HDD or since your Laptop is very old...buy a new Laptop.
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
syg00

Post by syg00 »

alan.lmint wrote:Can't figure how to recover the file system. Don't care about any data. Would reformat, but can't get to tools or hard drive from live Mint.
Why not ?. A liveCD is the perfect place to run smartctl across the disk - that way you'll know for sure if the disk has failed..
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

o It wouldn't hurt to disconnect and reconnect the drive (with the machine switched off) in case there's a poor connection.

o Sudden power-off might have damaged the drive electronics... not number one on my list though.

o You can do surface-scan 'readability' tests on any partition or drive, even when it's mounted. That gives the drive firmware a chance to mark bad blocks as due-for-retirement. They won't actually be retired until something is written, but that doesn't cause an error message. I use the gddrescue package for this. It gives you a chance to interrupt a test and continue later. Also you get good feedback of progress, speed and error count...
from="/dev/sda" ; into="/dev/zero" ; logf="/var/tmp/log.txt" ; sudo ddrescue --force $from $into $logf

Code: Select all

GNU ddrescue 1.19
Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
rescued:     1896 MB,  errsize:       0 B,  current rate:    30012 kB/s
   ipos:     1896 MB,   errors:       0,    average rate:   31094 kB/s
   opos:     1896 MB, run time:    1.01 m,  successful read:       0 s ago
Copying non-tried blocks... Pass 1 (forwards)
alan.lmint

Post by alan.lmint »

Thanks all. Was looking for a quick fix. Clearly needs more work. Will continue this when I have the chance to spend some time working on it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”