Screen display size

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

Screen display size

Post by bally1001 »

Having converted successfully an old Acer W7 laptop into Mint on a new SSD from an official CD, I've tried the same with my sisters old Asus W7 laptop using the same CD....The screen image is double what it should be.....I've tried to adjust it in the "display" options screen but all it will do is either leave it as it is or, double it again.....I can't update the drivers either because I can't access the screen properly...So, my question is, is there a command I can use in the terminal (command prompt) to correct the issue?.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Screen display size

Post by Pjotr »

Please generate an overview of your system like this:

- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);

- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;

- copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

- Press Enter.

- Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bally1001 »

Thanks for that, sorry for the delay. I enclose an ODT file with the detail:-
inxi -Fxz.odt
......But it's double Dutch to me at the moment.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

OK, you're in luck.... Although it's a "horrible SiS" graphics chipset, you have the one SiS chipset (771/671) for which there's an acceptable solution: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/sis
Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy »

For future reference, yes, you'll typically be able to use xrandr from a terminal. See man xrandr.
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife
bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bally1001 »

Many thanks....I'll work through that and see if I can fix it.
bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bally1001 »

Thanks for your answers, but unfortunately there was no solution......I had to re-install three times after following exactly the terminal instructions from the link provided by "pjotr" because an imitation of the infamous Windows 'screen of death' appeared.....It effectively rendered the laptop unusable until the Mint disc was re-installed......However, I did, as a test, put back in the old W7 disk, and the laptop performed correctly....I then put in a spare W10 disk (which held the same registration key) and, once again, the screen image doubled in size.....It looks like there might be a deeper issue but, just in case there might be a solution, although I can't enclose the 4 images of the error messages that appeared on the locked Linux screen because as a jpg they are too big. However the first says the "X server failed to start, the second two are lengthy diagnostic reports, and the last one says that the "X server" has been disabled until the "MDM" is configured correctly.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Did you try this, as is described in my how-to, with a clean installation of Linux Mint 18.1 Xfce (64-bit)?

My solution won't work with 18.2, nor with Cinnamon / Mate / KDE, nor with 32-bit.
bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bally1001 »

Hi Pjotra,.....I'm not too sure what 'Xfce' means.....For both the laptop I'm using now and the troubled one, I used the Mint 18.1 given free by "Linux" magazine.....Yes, I followed the instructions to the letter...Point 5a & 5b threw up a "file not known" result.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

bally1001 wrote:Hi Pjotra,.....I'm not too sure what 'Xfce' means.....For both the laptop I'm using now and the troubled one, I used the Mint 18.1 given free by "Linux" magazine.....
That's probably the Cinnamon disk. This is the one you need:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/linuxmint/sta ... -64bit.iso
Yes, I followed the instructions to the letter...Point 5a & 5b threw up a "file not known" result.
That's no problem, because that's usually so.
bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bally1001 »

@pjotra........Thank you for all your help and info, alas, to no avail.......I downloaded the Xfce version and burned it onto a disc, then installed it onto a cleaned (by Acronis software) disc in case there were traces of other artifacts.....I followed your guide to the letter and, upon rebooting the same "dead screen" locked up the laptop...... I have attached images of the first advice and the following diagnostic reports in case there is a way forward, but I fear I may be chasing a lost cause.

attachment=0]screen 3.png[/attachment]
screen 2.png
screen 1.png

Return to “Newbie Questions”