Linux Mint Gnome

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Fabio7891
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint Gnome

Post by Fabio7891 »

Hello to everybody

I have downloaded and activated the Gnome desktop on my Linux Mint: like this tutorial explain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxb3EXFSLTA

I have tried to show icons on my desktop, but as you can see in the attachments, it doesn't work.

I have activated on Tweaks: Show icons on desktop (Home and Trash), but nothing happened.

What can I do about it ?
I use Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon Tessa - 64 bit

wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint Gnome

Post by wallyUSA »

I do not see any attachment :?:
Tina 19.3 Cinnamon 4.4.5 Kernel 5.0.0-37 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Re-install. You've just created a worthless Frankenstein system.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Fabio7891
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fabio7891 »

Sorry, I can't upload images.

The system always tell me that images are too large. I have tried to resize them many times, but it doesn't work

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Fabio7891.

About uploading images here in the forum:
The size of image files which can be uploaded to the forum directly is pretty limited.
Instead of downsizing your orginal images beyond recognition, upload the original image files to a free filehoster like e.g. https://imgur.com. Post the links to your uploaded image files here. Put them between [rimg] [/rimg] tags. This will make the forum software display thumbnail sized previews, which can be clicked in order to view the original images in their original sizes.

HTH,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Fabio7891
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fabio7891 »

Thanks

At this link: https://imgur.com/a/ZlNio you can see the attachments I wanted send

Last edited by Moem on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added your images using the [rimg] tag, which is great for attaching remote images.

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by minitux »

I also did some testing to install the gnome shell session, but I did not do it because I did not put anything on the desktop.

I do not think that with those packages I also install the gnome file manager, so I guess the problem is that you do not install nautilus.

I think you should install nautilus and set it as a default file manager in some way, but if you run it, I think you have the problem on cinnamon, since it is no longer set nemo.

anche io per cazzeggiare un po' ho installato la sessione gnome shell su cinnamon, ma non ci ho fatto perché non metto niente sul desktop.

Non mi pare che con quei pacchetti installi anche il gestore di file gnome, quindi credo che il problema è che non installi nautilus.

Penso che dovresti installare nautilus e impostarlo come gestore di file predefinito in qualche modo, ma se lo fai, credo che tu avrai lo stesso problema su cinnamon, perché non è più impostato nemo.

qui se ne parla

https://www.quora.com/How-can-you-chang ... 7-Cinnamon

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pjotr wrote:Re-install. You've just created a worthless Frankenstein system.
Sigh. He's 100% correct. You have ruined your Mint install.

Installing other DEs that are actually supported by Mint is bad enough, that was GUARANTEED to break things. Installing multiple DEs is the most common bit of bad noob advice IMO.

Big lesson here: just because someone made a Linux 'tutorial' and uploaded it to Youtube that does not mean they have a frakking clue about Linux. Same goes for blogs ... pjotr's is one of the good ones but most are crap, written by incompetents. I get 95% of my useful Mint support info from ubuntuforums, askubuntu, and the Arch wikis.

You'll often read things written by noobs and authors of crap blogs saying that you can do whatever you want in Linux. That's only true in that the system will LET you do it if you have the password. It doesn't mean it'll work. Linux gives you more freedom, including the freedom to completely bork your system.

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by minitux »

for now, for me all ok with both cinnamon and gnome shell sessions, but as I said, I do not care about files and folders on the desktop.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

minitux wrote:for now, for me all ok with both cinnamon and gnome shell sessions, but as I said, I do not care about files and folders on the desktop.
I think you're on your own with this problem.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by minitux »

catweazel wrote:
minitux wrote:for now, for me all ok with both cinnamon and gnome shell sessions, but as I said, I do not care about files and folders on the desktop.
I have no problem, use both cinnamon and gnome shell without problems.

the problem is for Fabio7891 who would like to use the desktop with gnome shell

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

minitux wrote:
catweazel wrote:
I have no problem, use both cinnamon and gnome shell without problems.

the problem is for Fabio7891 who would like to use the desktop with gnome shell
Oh, sorry. I thought I replied to the OP. My bad. You both look exactly the same :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

A clean install of this, is the only commendable choice if you want the Gnome desktop on the same Ubuntu LTS base that Mint 18.x uses as well:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/Rel ... buntuGNOME
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by minitux »

ho provato ora, in effetti non si installa nautilus, l'ho installato

Code: Select all

sudo apt install nautilus
e terminata la sessione e riloggato da gnome tweak tool si abilita la scrivania, come si vede in screenshot è abilitata sia su Cinnamon che sulla sessione Gnome Shell

I tried it now, in fact do not install nautilus, I installed it

Code: Select all

sudo apt install nautilus
and ending the session and restarted by gnome tweak tool enables the desktop, as seen in the screenshot is enabled both on Cinnamon and on the Gnome Shell session

Gnome Shell

Cinnamon

Fabio7891
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fabio7891 »

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions.

So what is the best and safe way to install Gnome on Linux Mint ?

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

Fabio7891 wrote:So what is the best and safe way to install Gnome on Linux Mint ?
The best way is don't. It's really much better to go with a distro that ships with Gnome. Either Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 or the upcoming Ubuntu 17.04 which will ship with Gnome as default. This gives you the best integration without any tweaking and avoids potential breakages down the line due to incompatibility.

Fabio7891
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fabio7891 »

But even Distrowatch says that is possible have Linux Mint with Gnome interface: https://distrowatch.com/search.php?desktop=GNOME

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

Fabio7891 wrote:But even Distrowatch says that is possible have Linux Mint with Gnome interface: https://distrowatch.com/search.php?desktop=GNOME
Well, Distrowatch is wrong. I'm sure you could install Cinnamon on top of KDE Neon, but whatever you may end up with, it's not KDE Neon and in fact it's no longer anything Neon.

Look, if you're happy with what you've created then more power to you. Just don't be surprised if there's not a lot of help available if it starts malfunctioning.

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by minitux »

I have done it in my tests several times, for example on ubuntu 16.04 (Unity) I have also installed Cinnamon and Gnome Shell (from the official repository) and I have never had problems

so, my opinion, is that they can be together

I would not mix with kde plasma 5 or lxqt that are qt

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintBean wrote:
Fabio7891 wrote:So what is the best and safe way to install Gnome on Linux Mint ?
The best way is don't. It's really much better to go with a distro that ships with Gnome. Either Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 or the upcoming Ubuntu 17.04 which will ship with Gnome as default. This gives you the best integration without any tweaking and avoids potential breakages down the line due to incompatibility.
I generally avoid 'me too' posts but this calls for a +1.

Return to “Newbie Questions”