Interesting Experiences with Mint 18.2 vs Mint 18 installation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ipsmile
Level 1
Level 1

Interesting Experiences with Mint 18.2 vs Mint 18 installation

Post by ipsmile »

Read many posts about the Mint 18.2 installation problems and would like to share my peculiar experiences as well:

Hardware setup:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
MB: ASRock G41C-GS R2
4GRAM, 256GSSD, CD/DVD Drive/USB 2.0

The hardware functions well. Tried to install Mint 18.2 using burned DVD from the downloaded iso image, failed, no boot, just blank screen. Booted from the USB created from the same iso image, the boot process ended up with some initramfs errors. Downloaded the iso image from a different source, and burn the DVD using different software, still no luck.

Fortunately, I also kept a Mint 18.0 DVD, tried it and the installation was a pleasant success!

Even most interesting, after Mint 18 was installed successfully, I inserted the USB of Mint 18.2 and this time, the installation was a success. Tried the Mint 18.2 DVD installation, still no boot.

I really see no reason why hardware should make any differences. I am just very curious between Mint 18 and Mint 18.2, what the differences of hardware requirements are, and what the changes of installation processes are between Mint 18 and Mint 18.2 to make the installations different.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Interesting Experiences with Mint 18.2 vs Mint 18 installation

Post by Pjotr »

Hardware might definitely give a clue. Please generate an overview of your system like this:

- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);

- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;

- copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

- Press Enter.

- Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ ipsmile, .......

Bent or scratched DVD disc will make it unusable. Be careful how you detach the DVD from the tray.

DVD burn-speed should not be more than 4X = no burn errors. I use 2X.

Avoid using DVD-+RW discs. Use DVD+R.
jeanpaulberes

Post by jeanpaulberes »

When I downloaded an Linux Mint 18.2 iso, I did get the same problems ...

Well, I did try again but this time through the torrents ... and checked with the available checksum... no errors
AND burned the downloaded ISO file (obtained through the Torrents) to a DVD-RW ..
Installed and no mistakes ... Everything worked fine ... was not the case when downloaded the ISO file directly, even when the checksum was correct ...

Weird but solved my problem ...

Kind regards,
jean paul
ipsmile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ipsmile »

Hi, Pjotr,

Thanks for your reply and attention. I think the mystery of why DVD won't boot has solved. Burned another DVD, the third one, and now it works. The only puzzle I still have is why the first time the USB base installation ended up with some initramfs errors and after DVD installation of Mint 18, the USB installation of Mint 18.2 worked.

Here is the hw info.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: XCXCLM18 Kernel: 4.10.0-35-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
                 Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
                 Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:  Mobo: ASRock model: G41C-GS R2.0
                 Bios: American Megatrends v: P1.10 date: 10/20/2015
CPU:        Dual core Intel Core2 6320 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
                 flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8957
                 clock speeds: max: 1870 MHz 1: 1603 MHz 2: 1603 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
                 Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
                 Resolution: 1680x1050@59.95hz
                 GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G41
                 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:       Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
                 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
                 Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-35-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                 driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e800 bus-ID: 01:00.0
                 IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:      HDD Total Size: 512.1GB (3.6% used)
                 ID-1: /dev/sda model: MKNSSDEC512GB size: 512.1GB
Partition:   ID-1: / size: 466G used: 14G (4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-1
                 ID-2: /boot size: 472M used: 124M (28%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda1
                 ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.03GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-2
RAID:       No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:  System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A
                Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:         Processes: 204 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 675.8/3695.2MB
                Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
                Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
During the installation, I followed all default settings, nothing changed, the SSD was formatted without zeroing out the contents for the initial installation. I really don't think that would cause any issues.

Thanks again,

Ip
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code tag
ipsmile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ipsmile »

Michael,

Thanks a great deal.

Indeed, the DVD is the cause.

Got it working now.

Cheers,

Ip
ipsmile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ipsmile »

Jean,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with installation.

I started with Mint 17.2, then Mint 18, and now 18.2. This is the first time I experienced installation problems while the other two went though like a breeze.

Cheers,

Tom
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

michael louwe wrote:DVD burn-speed should not be more than 4X = no burn errors. I use 2X.
That's excellent advice and something many people miss.

Also, I remember having a few issues with DVD+RW disks when I installed LM17.3, sorted by blanking them first. No issues using one for LM18.2 KDE though. I suppose it depends on the disk & hardware and whether the disk has been used before.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I've installed both and never had any problems...but have noticed...installing from a Flash Drive was quicker.
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

bob466 wrote:I've installed both and never had any problems...but have noticed...installing from a Flash Drive was quicker.
Placing the .ISO onto my computer's (only) hard drive and installing Mint from it was even quicker for me. Significantly so. I forget how I did it, but there's still a working entry in my Grub menu for each of the two .ISOs I installed this way, if that helps. There's a thread here where someone walked me through the procedure. It was quite simple; I just didn't make notes.

The first time I used this method was out of necessity - my optical drive is non-functional and there is no option in the BIOS menu for booting from USB. But after seeing how much quicker it makes the installation, it's now my preferred method.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
Placing the .ISO onto my computer's (only) hard drive and installing Mint from it was even quicker for me. Significantly so. I forget how I did it, but there's still a working entry in my Grub menu for each of the two .ISOs I installed this way, if that helps. There's a thread here where someone walked me through the procedure. It was quite simple; I just didn't make notes.

The first time I used this method was out of necessity - my optical drive is non-functional and there is no option in the BIOS menu for booting from USB. But after seeing how much quicker it makes the installation, it's now my preferred method.

Regards,
MDM
If you want to burn an ISO to a Disk...use Xfburn. To burn an ISO to a Flash Drive use either Etcher or USB Image Writer. To boot to a Bootable Flash Drive...just Re-Boot your computer while tapping either F12...Delete etc...which brings up a Menu...go down to your Flash Drive with the arrow keys and hit Enter.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I just use Brasero for either flash ISO drives or DVD ISO boot discs. I then install in other computers. Exception! If I install LM in a MacBook(circa 2006-2010) I install the drive in a Toshiba or HP do the initial install labeling the model number of the Mac then put the drive in the Macbook for the rest of the updates. Worked every time so far.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
bob466 wrote:I've installed both and never had any problems...but have noticed...installing from a Flash Drive was quicker.

Regards,
MDM
Yes, that's using the Virtual Clone Drive.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I don't burn an ISOs to Disks anymore as I find it easier and quicker to use a Flash Drive and as I said Boots faster to the Mint live Desktop. The only exception is Macrium Rescue Disk for System Imaging...it works much better form a Disk.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

bob466 wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote:

Regards,
MDM
If you want to burn an ISO to a Disk...use Xfburn. To burn an ISO to a Flash Drive use either Etcher or USB Image Writer. To boot to a Bootable Flash Drive...just Re-Boot your computer while tapping either F12...Delete etc...which brings up a Menu...go down to your Flash Drive with the arrow keys and hit Enter.
Again, no option for booting from USB.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Beginner Questions”