Protection Software

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

Protection Software

Post by bally1001 »

As a slowly converting Windows user that has relied upon Kaspersky's protection for years, before I start to use Mint for more personal activities I would like to ask if there are comparable packages available for Linux.....Obviously I have the Firewall activated, and I know that Linux is not normally targeted by the people that blight Windows users, but I would like just to make sure.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Protection Software

Post by catweazel »

The general consensus is that most of us don't use antivirus software. It is available if you really want it.

The 8 Best Free Anti-Virus Programs for Linux

Caveat emptor.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

You don't need it. What's more, antivirus software even *decreases* your security.

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about security in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by minitux »

never used antivirus on linux
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

You are better off without. Relax, you're using Linux now!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "bally1001",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

"Kaspersky" has a really nice bootable "rescue disc" for anti-virus and anti-malware that you can easily download and make a CD/DVD from. There are other bootable rescue discs as well. You can boot to that to scan your drive(s) and their partition(s) to make sure there are no bad files from the MS Windows system, etc... Afterwards, you can then boot to that and run it whenever you want, or feel the need to.

There are other really good posts on this topic in this forum already, just search for them.

Need for an antivirus.?
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=238726&hilit=maldetect

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Protection Software (Solved)

Post by bally1001 »

OK, many thanks for that....I use Mint on a separate laptop (old W7), so I'll go with the consensus and leave things be.
jeanpaulberes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jeanpaulberes »

You can use an application like 'rkhunter' to check for worms/rootkit virusses ...
But even when you will check it, you will notice that your system is completely safe ...
NO need of antivirus or whatever, just enable the firewall (ufw / gufw) and everything is ok !

Regards,
jean paul
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

bally1001 wrote:As a slowly converting Windows user that has relied upon Kaspersky's protection for years, before I start to use Mint for more personal activities I would like to ask if there are comparable packages available for Linux.....Obviously I have the Firewall activated, and I know that Linux is not normally targeted by the people that blight Windows users, but I would like just to make sure.
Anti-virus applications are not needed and you'll only encounter problems like viewtopic.php?f=46&t=252986&p=1371435#p1371393
ImageImage
revian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by revian »

bally1001 wrote:As a slowly converting Windows user that has relied upon Kaspersky's protection for years, before I start to use Mint for more personal activities I would like to ask if there are comparable packages available for Linux.....Obviously I have the Firewall activated, and I know that Linux is not normally targeted by the people that blight Windows users, but I would like just to make sure.
It doesn't matter how popular Linux becomes, or how many people target it, Linux is designed much differently than Windows and is more secure because of its design.

Guess how many Linux viruses there are out in the wild.. zero. There aren't any because it's pretty much a waste of time to write a Linux virus. Here's why:

In Linux, you could download every computer virus on the planet. During the download, your Linux system removes the execute flag from the binary. In order to run a computer virus, the user has to manually toggle that execute flag back on. After that execute flag is is toggled back on, the user must manually run (execute) the file. The fact that a user has to go through that much trouble just to run a file is exactly why it's a waste of time to write viruses for Linux.

And, even if a Linux user did run every computer virus on the planet and they would only damage the user's home directory.. they wouldn't touch the rest of the system because root privileges are needed. Thus, the damage could be repaired within minutes (you are making consistent backups, aren't you?). This is one of the reasons we never run the system as root user all the time.

Windows, on the other hand, is a wide open target that Microsoft has continually crippled in the name of interoperability. So, yes, you need protection because the people who design Windows either don't understand computer security or they simply don't care.

We can either have highly secure, or highly convenient. We cannot have both because those two items are two opposite ends of computers. Linux leans more toward security - which is why there is such a steep learning curve with Linux. Windows, on the other hand, leans more toward convenience - which is why it's such an easy target for the bad guys.
Operating within normal parameters
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Remember though, just because you don't need AV software that ddoes not mean you can't be hacked. You still need a strong password, and accept that you'll have to enter it often. Indeed that's one of the biggest reasons there aren't Linux viruses.
revian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by revian »

Hoser Rob wrote:Remember though, just because you don't need AV software that ddoes not mean you can't be hacked. You still need a strong password, and accept that you'll have to enter it often. Indeed that's one of the biggest reasons there aren't Linux viruses.
True. It also helps to keep in mind that the user is often the weakest link in the security chain.. common sense can be quite helpful.
Operating within normal parameters
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

The next "antivirus" works always. :wink:
common-sense-antivirus.png
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

When I was running Windoze...I had all sorts of Anti-Virus software...some on the Desktop and several Anti-Virus rescue Disks.

Every now and then I'd run them all because Windoze is the worst OS when it comes to security and the fear of getting infected was always there as Microsoft doesn't give a stuff...but this is not Windoze...thank God for that. :D

The fact that you don't need Anti-Virus software is just one of the many advantages Linux Mint has to offer...go Mint. 8)
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jim Hauser »

Going on four years. No anti-virus software. Just a Cisco router/firewall. No problems at all...

Return to “Newbie Questions”