Notifications on new Mint versions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Fabio7891
Level 2
Level 2

Notifications on new Mint versions

Post by Fabio7891 »

Hello to everybody !

I have just noticed that when a new version of Mint comes up, it's very difficult to see it. There are no notifications and I have to check it sometimes manually on the Updates Manager.

Is there a tool to warn that a new version of Mint is ready for download ?
I use Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon Tessa - 64 bit

MichaelJohn
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Notifications on new Mint versions

Post by MichaelJohn »

I just glance at "Releases and Announcements" on this forum. Currently use 17.2 as need to do numerous changes to run some Python software on Mint 18!

jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

I don't think there is any need to jump to a new version as soon as it is released.

I typically check if I am having a problem, figuring a new version might possibly fix it. So updated one machine to 18.2 for that reason, but my spouse's laptop is running 17.x and since that will get updates for another 1.5 years, I don't see any reason to change as long as everything seems to be working.

greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Just subscribe to the "Releases & Announcements' forum, Clem always starts a new thread for individual releases. IE. Mate, KDE, etc.

Fabio7891
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fabio7891 »

Thanks a lot !
I use Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon Tessa - 64 bit

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

greerd wrote:Just subscribe to the "Releases & Announcements' forum, Clem always starts a new thread for individual releases. IE. Mate, KDE, etc.
How do you subscribe to the "Releases & Announcements" forum? I only know how to subscribe to a topic.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

I subscribe to the Mint Blog using Thunderbird. Right click 'feeds', hit 'subscribe' and use this URL:
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?feed=rss2

It's just like getting a mail every time there's a blog announcement, which is usually one update per month unless there's a release.

greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

JerryF wrote:How do you subscribe to the "Releases & Announcements" forum? I only know how to subscribe to a topic.
Board Index > Releases & Announcements > Subscribe forum (at the bottom of the page)

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Thanks greerd!
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob »

jsb wrote:I don't think there is any need to jump to a new version as soon as it is released. ....
No kiddin'. I'd never be the first on the block.

You know how in Windows savvy users wait until the first Service Pack of a new release before installing? It's just like that.

MichaelJohn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MichaelJohn »

Hoser Rob wrote:
jsb wrote:I don't think there is any need to jump to a new version as soon as it is released. ....
No kiddin'. I'd never be the first on the block.

You know how in Windows savvy users wait until the first Service Pack of a new release before installing? It's just like that.
Ditto - SQL Server although I believe they are planning to change the way they issue fixes and updates!

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Hoser Rob wrote:You know how in Windows savvy users wait until the first Service Pack of a new release before installing? It's just like that.
Not only in Windows but also in the DOS era, never installed a x.0 version but always a x.1 of a program eg WP 5.1 instead of 5.0
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

Return to “Newbie Questions”