[SOLVED] Permissions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rtbcomp
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Permissions

Post by rtbcomp » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:48 am

I've been playing with Mint for a few days, but am frustrated by "Permissions".

I have copied a folder (Tape Project) containing files from my Win7 machine over the LAN to a folder (Golden) on my Mint desktop. I have now finished with these files and want to delete them and the containing folder, but got "Permission denied". I can delete files generated locally in the "Golden" folder. (These files are generated by NCH Golden Records Converter, running under Wine).

I checked the properties of the Tape Project folder (and sub folders) and find that User and Group are set to "nobody", with the permission options greyed out.

I've tried "chown -R ..." on the top folder but get a whole string of "operation not permitted errors".

How can I get over this? I'm the sole user on the machine, so assume I have admin rights.

TIA

Roger
Last edited by rtbcomp on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Permissions

Post by Pjotr » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:05 am

Try:

Code: Select all

sudo rm -v -R ~/Golden
Type your password when required; this'll remain entirely invisible, not even dots will show, this is normal. Press Enter.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 am

rtbcomp wrote:I've tried "chown -R ..." on the top folder but get a whole string of "operation not permitted errors".
How can I get over this? I'm the sole user on the machine, so assume I have admin rights.
"Admin" means you have the ability to use "sudo", but without the sudo you're just a regular user.

So try "sudo chown -R ..."
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

rtbcomp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rtbcomp » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks for the quick responses, I didn't realise chown could be used in conjunction with sudo. The machine's tied up for the next half hour or so, I'll let you know how I get on.

revian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by revian » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:41 am

rtbcomp wrote:Thanks for the quick responses, I didn't realise chown could be used in conjunction with sudo. The machine's tied up for the next half hour or so, I'll let you know how I get on.
Any command can be used with sudo, but it's generally a good idea to not use sudo until it is actually needed.
Operating within normal parameters

rtbcomp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rtbcomp » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:46 am

Pjotr wrote:Try:

Code: Select all

sudo rm -v -R ~/Golden
Type your password when required; this'll remain entirely invisible, not even dots will show, this is normal. Press Enter.
Thanks, That removed the directory right enough!

rtbcomp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rtbcomp » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 am

Flemur wrote:
rtbcomp wrote:I've tried "chown -R ..." on the top folder but get a whole string of "operation not permitted errors".
"Admin" means you have the ability to use "sudo", but without the sudo you're just a regular user.

So try "sudo chown -R ..."
Thanks, worked a treat.

Is there any way of transferring a file via the LAN and assigning a user automatically, using a GUI? I'm thinking in the real world office staff won't be using sudo!

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:08 am

rtbcomp wrote:Is there any way of transferring a file via the LAN and assigning a user automatically, using a GUI? I'm thinking in the real world office staff won't be using sudo!
I dunno anything about LANs & permissions, but there are some easy ways to make a simple GUI...but I'm guessing that the easy answer would be in the setup of the LAN and the filesystem the data ends up on; even with a GUI they'll need the same admin privileges as with a terminal.

But take a look at "dialog".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Newbie Questions”