Need to re-install my Mint, a question or two, OK?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintBean

Re: Need to re-install my Mint, a question or two, OK?

Post by MintBean »

If you let Mint do its default thing, it should give you a small swap partition as the last partition, and the rest as ext4 for your system partition. It's probably easiest to let it do this, then resize your main partition using GParted from the live Mint DVD session and add the extra partitions in the space.

The disc format really shouldn't make any difference to how an HTML page loads. How did you even discover this in the first place? Are you using Windows software with this disc?
white stone

Post by white stone »

Hello MintBean,

"The disc format really shouldn't make any difference to how an HTML page loads. How did you even discover this in the first place? Are you using Windows software with this disc?"
It was many years ago that I found out about the Fat32 and how html files within Mint behave together, on this forum I believe. It came about through working with MIDI music and getting it to play, I think. It was a long time ago.

I just know if the files are in an ext4 partition they will open but it opens in a tab in the main browser and the other files in the same folder can not be accessed by links on the web page but have to be opened individually. I use it now days mainly for Bible reading/study and I want to go easily from book to book by clicking on links on an index page.

Anyway, I reinstalled Mint 18.2 once unsuccessfully today and mint 17 about 4 times.

I see it automatically will create an extended partition and that's good. I started reinstalling Mint 18.2 a while ago and just checked out the results. I created 2 FAT32 partitions and assigned one to Win and the other to Dos. One of them is working and showing up in file manager. Have to do more testing to see which worked.

It's been a long day, I am beat. This is good exercise for a 74 year old brain, for certain.

I may take a few days to sift through all this and set up my computer to my wants. Want to make sure it is actually working as I want first. When/if I find it is OK I will post 'Solved' on this thread.

Regards,
Janice
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Don't forget, if you open 'Hexchat' within Mint you can get immediate online help from the chat room.
white stone

Post by white stone »

Still floundering around. Very grateful I transferred all my files to another computer, at least I reas in the thought that some day I will be able to get back to 'normal.'

I have re-installed Mint 17. I created 2 FAT32 partitions. Assigned one to dos and the other to windows. Neither display in Mint 'Home Folder' or 'Computer,' but I can access them in Krusader. However, I still have not been able to create a NTSF partition. I do not see that option in set-up.

I am about ready to just start using my late husband's computer but I really do not want to make changes on it. At least, it is working for me. Although the HTML files in the FAT32 partition open differently than they did on mine, they are accessible in a similar fashion.

I have been watching many YouTube videos on Linux partitioning and not one has addressed FAT 32 or NTSF. Wouldn't you know!

Hexchat was too confusing to follow, some day I might catch on to it but not this day. I will keep the link and try again when I have time to spend learning it.

Cheers,
Janice
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

There's not a massive amount to know about NTFS (Note: not NTSF) and FAT32. GParted has options for both, what more do you need to know? They're just another format on a partition.

This will help you make your drives visible in Mint:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=255060
white stone

Post by white stone »

MintBean,

Thanks for the link, I will try it out. It COULD work, yea, it could. :D

Later,
Janice
white stone

Post by white stone »

MintBean,

Bingo that's what I needed. Only problem, I changed the setting on one of the one's I shouldn't have. No problem. I wanted to install 18.2. I had put 17 back in thinking that might help with the drive issues. Now that I know about how to make them display I am so happy I would gladly reload and sign in to all my sites again. I can practically fo it in my sleep anyway.
Now if I can just learn when Mint warns that things may go awry to leave it be but I know my nature and doubt I will change too much. I couldn't be happier, though about your telling me of the Disc place.

I believe I will used Gparted to create the partitions this time. Wonder how many times this install will take? :lol: Once I get it right I may buy another hard drive and clone this one.

Thank you, again. I will posted SOLVED after I get successfully reloaded. It seems so simple when you know where to look for answers. I would never have expected a tool like that to be in Accessories - seems more like System Tools or Administration. Intuitively that is where I went. I am surprised it was in Games, because I felt like I was playing an awful one. Not knocking Linux Mint, just saying. . .

Janice
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

white stone wrote:When double clicked in file manager (while in a Fat32 partition) the HTML file opens as a separate browser page and operates as it would normally. You can click 'next page' and it immediately switches.
That sounds like the HTML code has something hard-coded? The file system should have zero effect on the operation of an HTML file. I would think it should just work. Does that Windows partition on SDA6 use the name "C:" in any way? Obviously not in Mint. Check your HTML code and see if there is something like "c:\users\UserName\documents..." embedded. If so, you may want to change that to something more universal. If you could post a portion of that index file here between CODE tags we can look at it and see if there is something we can do to help. I'm just trying to figure out how hyperlinks wouldn't work.
white stone

Post by white stone »

MrEen wrote:Feel free to ignore this but during the installation you might want to change the default Computer name to something more manageable like janice-hp. It could save you some work in the future if you share files over a local network.
MrEen, Thank you, I followed your advice. Had a little difficulty doing it. The computer would not allow me to use a dash, I had to use an underline. It has some strange rules but I love it.

Janice
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

white stone wrote:The computer would not allow me to use a dash, I had to use an underline. It has some strange rules but I love it.
That's strange. My iMac has this name:
System: Host: Linux-iMac Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.3 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
There should be no problem using a hyphen in the name. Even Windows and macOS allow that.
white stone

Post by white stone »

CaptainKirksChair wrote: That sounds like the HTML code has something hard-coded? The file system should have zero effect on the operation of an HTML file. I would think it should just work. Does that Windows partition on SDA6 use the name "C:" in any way? Obviously not in Mint. Check your HTML code and see if there is something like "c:\users\UserName\documents..." embedded. If so, you may want to change that to something more universal. If you could post a portion of that index file here between CODE tags we can look at it and see if there is something we can do to help. I'm just trying to figure out how hyperlinks wouldn't work.

Code: Select all

<HTML>
 <HEAD>
 <TITLE>Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible [Table of Contents].</TITLE>
 </HEAD>
 <BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
 <HR>
 <CENTER>
 <P><FONT SIZE=+1>Public domain text. No rights reserved. May be distributed freely.</FONT></P>
 </CENTER>
 <HR>
 <TABLE WIDTH="90%">
 <TR>
 <TD ALIGN="LEFT" VALIGN="TOP">
 [<A HREF="MHC01000.HTM">Table of Contents</A>]
 <BR>
 [<A HREF="MHC00001.HTM">Next</A>]<BR>
 <TD ALIGN="RIGHT" VALIGN="TOP">
 Matthew Henry<BR><I>Commentary on the Whole Bible</I> (1706-1721)
 </TD></td></tr></table>
<Table width=95% border=0>
<TR><TH>New Testament</TH></TR>
 <TR><TD>
The way these files have worked for me for the last 5, or so, years is like this:
THEN = Open the drive in the Home Folder file menu, open the folder with the files, Double click on the file for the INDEX. Then would open in a Firefox Browser window - NOT in the Firefox browser I had open on my desktop but a "stand alone" page. From there I could click on any book and it would change to that book, then it would follow the links for any chapter in that book. All of this took place in that one Firefox browser page, independent of the one with which I was browsing the web.
NOW = Double click the INDEX file and it opens a page in the Firefox Browser on my desktop and none of the links to the other pages work because it is outside the perimeter of the folder within all those files reside.
Have I managed to make this clear? I know words matter and perhaps I am choosing the wrong ones to describe the inability to do what I used to do.

I can not believe this! I just installed Krusader and it works like my Mint File Manager used to work. I will just have to use it. Now why is that???? If I can do it in one, why not in the other. The file does Not open in a stand alone window but even with it opening a tab in the Desktop Browser with all my other tabs open I can click on any book I choose to go to and then any chapter and it works like a charm. What in the works is the key to making the nice little uncluttered File Manager act like it should? That is my question.

By the way, I am running Mint 18.2 (all updated).

Since the problem is solved, although not resolved in my mind) I guess I better change the SUBJECT line.
Thanks to everyone for the clues and advice. I still want to know why, OK?
Kindest regards,
Janice a/k/s White Stone
white stone

Post by white stone »

Dear CKC,

"There should be no problem using a hyphen in the name. Even Windows and macOS allow that."

I know that but never the less I was here and it kept giving me a 'warning' in a bright pink window that said spelled out what was NOT allowed, and hyphen was named specifically. I tried using it 2-3 times and eventually read the warning completely and changed it to an underline "_" and worked like a charm. There may be a spell placed on this install disk?? Or, as my Grandfather used to tell me, when something would not work for me, "You didn't hold your tongue in the right place." At least it is all installed.

One of these days I would like the Fat32 drive to show up in that desktop file manager (Not Krusader, it works there).

Cheers, Janice
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

white stone wrote:NOW = Double click the INDEX file and it opens a page in the Firefox Browser on my desktop and none of the links to the other pages work because it is outside the perimeter of the folder within all those files reside.
See the HREF for the "Next" anchor in your code below? The MHC00001.HTM file needs to reside where the index file is located.

[<A HREF="MHC01000.HTM">Table of Contents</A>]
<BR>
[<A HREF="MHC00001.HTM">Next</A>]<BR>
If you change the A HREF="MHC00001.HTM" link path to include the full path to the file like this: <A HREF="/home/janice/Documents/KJV/MHC00001.HTM"> (assuming that's the path to your files) it would open when you click the Next link. You would have change each HREF statement in the index file but you can do that with a global find and replace. Don't forget to save a copy of the index file before you make any changes.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

@ white stone

Just a small note. The next time you forget exactly what you typed on the command line you could run this.

tail -n 60 ~/.bash_history | less
If you need to see further back just increase the number 60 in that command or decrease the number to see less lines. 60 = 60 lines.

If you need to scroll through the whole file just type

less ~/.bash_history
It's best to do this as soon as possible so the commands you need to find are at the bottom of the list and not overwritten.

To see how many lines .bash_history will hold type

echo $HISTFILESIZE
and to see the location of your file

echo $HISTFILE
white stone

Post by white stone »

sgtor wrote:@ white stone

Just a small note. The next time you forget exactly what you typed on the command line you could run this.

tail -n 60 ~/.bash_history | less
Thanks sgtor,

I will save those commands in Tomboy. Good to have on hand for 'what if's.'

Regards,
Janice
white stone

Post by white stone »

CaptainKirksChair wrote: See the HREF for the "Next" anchor in your code below? The MHC00001.HTM file needs to reside where the index file is located.
Thank you for the tip CKC but there are over 1,000 pages that would need multiple changes. As I said it works in Krusader so I will use Krusader for running it. I guess if I 'fine tune' Krusader it will appear less cluttered. I am sure at times there is a need for all the extras and I certainly can not fault the program for being full featured.

Many thanks for your input and help.
Janice
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

white stone wrote:Many thanks for your input and help.
You're welcome.

As I said, the global find and replace would make short work of that. But it's your call. I have a downloaded book that is similar. I've had to do exactly what I recommended to you for your KJV. My book works great now in any browser!
white stone

SOLVED-Need to re-install my Mint, a question or two, OK?

Post by white stone »

Wonderful news to report.

Closed down last night with the FAT32 drive not displaying in Mint File Manager. After letting things set and 'cure' overnight i tis there And best of all the HTML files are behaving just as they did i installations past.

I am very relieved and can get on with my life. Any little things that don't please me will more than likely worked of their own, just as this did.

Thanks to all involved in helping and commenting. I learned much even if it is not apparent at present.

Kind regards,
Janice

Return to “Beginner Questions”