[SOLVED] How to speed up automated suspend in linuxmint 18.1 ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
newbie serena
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to speed up automated suspend in linuxmint 18.1 ?

Postby newbie serena » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:53 am

I love my linuxmint 18.1. But I am worried about my electric bill and global warming. I want to use as less energy as possible. The quickest option for automated suspend is 5 minutes in linuxmint 18.1. But I regularly walk off and on from my DESKTOP pc. Therefore during 1 day my pc is ON for probably an whole hour while I am not using it all. Multiply this with 30 days per month and my electric bill goes up while I dont even use my DESKTOP pc...

Is it possible with a terminal code to quicken/speed up the standard 5 min setting for suspend in linuxmint 18.1 ? To speed it up below the standard 5 minutes automated suspend to 3 or 2 minutes...
Last edited by newbie serena on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Moem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How to speed up standby time in linuxmint 18.1 ?

Postby Moem » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:20 am

You don't need to use a terminal command for that, you can just change the power management settings. Look under Preferences in the menu of just start typing the word 'power' in the menu search box.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

newbie serena
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newbie serena » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Thanks for the advice Moem, but what I meant is that I want to quicken the standby time below what is possible in the powersettings of linuxmint 18.1.
I really love my linuxmint but one thing that windows really did better was powermanagement. In windows I could even select 1 minute, or 2 minutes for automated standby.
The quickest time for automated standby that I can select is 5 minutes in linuxmint 18.1. I want my desktop pc to go in automated standby in 3 or 2 minutes. That choice is NOT available in the powersettings of linuxmint.

I want to ask if it is possible with a terminalcode (or with software or with a biostweak ) to choose a time that is NOT available in the current standby powersettings of linuxmint 18.1
Some time ago I found a linuxpage somewhere which had a terminalcode to adjust powersettings, but since I am a newbie I didnt understand HOW to make it work and now I forgot where I saw it mentioned.

ColdBootII
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ColdBootII » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:01 pm

newbie serena wrote:Some time ago I found a linuxpage somewhere which had a terminalcode to adjust powersettings, but since I am a newbie I didnt understand HOW to make it work and now I forgot where I saw it mentioned.

Maybe you saw it here: https://superuser.com/a/628171 though I don't know if it is advisable to use in Cinnamon and, in fact, you haven't mentioned which desktop flavour you are using so, it could be inapplicable.

Anyways, if you are indeed so energy conscious, you could create a panel launcher or a keyboard shortcut that puts your machine to standby immediately and restores it within seconds on your return, by executing systemctl suspend

bob466
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bob466 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:10 pm

newbie serena wrote:I love my linuxmint 18.1. But I am worried about my electric bill and global warming. I want to use as less energy as possible.

When not in use...turn it off...simple. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never

newbie serena
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newbie serena » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks for the link and the other shortcut tip ColdBootll. Unfortunately your link wasnt the linuxpage I saw before. It took me hours to find that linuxpage which mentioned a way to change the automated standby time and now I forgot where I found it. Aaargh....

Bob your tip is ofcourse straightforward and simple and I already have a shortcut button on my keyboard to quickly put my desktop pc in standby.
The problem is that I constantly pace from and to my pc all day long to do other stuff. Therefore it needs to be automated standby because everytime when I leave my pc I think I will be back soon. But I often aint back soon. Hundred times per day pressing a button when I walk away from my pc just aint practical.

My OS is a cinnamon linuxmint 18.1 by the way and I love it. It would be greatly appreciated if somebody knew HOW to put in a terminalcode or something to speed up the AUTOMATED standby time below the standard 5 minutes. Because I saw the terminalcode once online although I must admit that I wasnt sure if the terminalcode from that linuxpage was fit to be used for my cinnamon linuxmint 18.1... :?

ColdBootII
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ColdBootII » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:28 pm

Sorry, I don't know if there is any other way to setup custom standby interval.

However, If you carry your mobile phone at all times and if your computer is equipped with bluetooth, you might want to consider using BlueProximity instead. An article about it

I've used it some time ago when in similar circumstances and it was perfect.

kyphi
Level 8
Level 8

Postby kyphi » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:23 pm

I use "Suspend" whenever I am called away to attend to other activities. It is instant. Suspend ceases with a mouse movement or keyboard press. The mouse also has a switch to turn it on or off.
Caveat: watch out for the cat walking on the keyboard :)
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

newbie serena
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to speed up automated suspend in linuxmint 18.1 ?

Postby newbie serena » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:56 am

I was just wondering if it is possible, through typing in a terminalcode, to alter the standard available choices for automated suspend time in linuxmint 18.1.
Being a newbie I stumbled upon linux terminalcode which I thought could tweak the power suspend settings, but I couldnt get it to work. Now I have lost the code.

I want to use less energy when I DONT use my pc. I can light 50 LED lightingbulbs with the energy my pc is using when it is idle, but not in suspend. Thats a waste of energy.
Yes I do have a suspend button, but it is too tiresome to press that 100 times a day. I would love to be able to quicken the AUTOMATED suspend time in powersettings...

Your bluetooth tip is a really cool gadget ColdBootll. Unfortunately it only locks the screen and activates the screensaver but the software doesnt automatically suspend my pc.

Maybe a silly question, but is it at all posible to change certain standard settings in linuxmint 18.1 by typing in terminal code ?
I thought linux was software that could easily be tweaked by programmers? Am I wrong ?

kyphi
Level 8
Level 8

Postby kyphi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:08 am

You don't seem to have evaluated the best answer that has already been given. For example, Moem suggested making an adjustment in the Power Settings screen - open System Settings, Hardware, Power Management and under Extra options, "When the power button is pressed" select "Suspend". The result is instantly available and can be reversed with either a mouse movement, a mouse click or a keyboard key press.

So, all you have to do to suspend is press the power button.

Alternatively, you could buy a laptop which supends when you close the lid but you will have to re-enter your password when you resume which could prove to be burdensome.

The method you are looking for to temporarily shut down your computer ignores that you still have peripherals running and consuming power such as your monitor, modem/router, loudspeakers, printer, UPS, etc.

Mute Ant
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Mute Ant » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:53 pm

As a general rule, if there's a Desktop Environment setting, its value is stored where the dconf-editor program can show it and change it. This one looks promising... "sleep-inactive-ac-timeout" ...The amount of time in seconds the computer on AC power needs to be inactive before it goes to sleep. A value of 0 means never.
echo "c 13 o 6 9 * p q" | dc

newbie serena
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newbie serena » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Thank you MuteAnt, your tip was very helpful. I have downloaded Gconfig for linuxmint and searched for the power settings. Couldnt find them unfortunately and all the other settings gave a message that they couldnt be changed. It will be adjustable in a later version however, according to the error message I saw. My bad luck.

I am using linuxmint 18.1 now and with the accompaniying Gconfig for linuxmint I could not alter any power settings....
What OS do you use MuteAnt ? I am even willing to change OS if I can change the power save settings. Because in your OS you DID SEE a possibility in Dconfig to change the time after which the pc went to sleep mode.

kyphi
Level 8
Level 8

Postby kyphi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:22 pm

The advice was to use dconf-editor not gconf-editor.

Mute Ant
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Mute Ant » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:32 pm

"Because in your OS you DID SEE a possibility" Yes. In the dconf-editor program, an editable key in...
"org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power"
...called...
"sleep-inactive-ac-timeout".
If I set it to a value of '15' that value sticks, it's there next boot, but I can't test it because my machine totally ignores 'suspend' requests.

kyphi
Level 8
Level 8

Postby kyphi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:03 pm

To confirm, the timer setting in dconf-editor is in seconds and it works. Tested with 15 which was too brief (for me) and tested with 60 so that suspend will activate after 1 minute of inactivity.

Be aware that these shortened suspend settings do not accommodate reading long articles online.

Thanks Mute Ant for pointing this out. One of the best things about using Linux systems is that there is always something else to be discovered.

Moem
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Moem » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:13 am

So this issue is SOLVED? Great! Please be so kind to mark it as such, by editing the title of the first posting in the thread and adding [SOLVED].

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

newbie serena
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newbie serena » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:04 am

Mute Ant, you have linuxmint 18.2 mate edition. I have got linuxmint 18.1 cinnamon edition.
Your tip for Dconfig I couldnt use, because all the options where gray. Couldnt even be selected.
I read somewhere that I should use Gconfig. With that software installed I could select all the options, but got the earlier mentioned error message that settings could only be changed in upcoming versions. In your linuxmint 18.2 Mate edition probably. Just as an experiment I will try to install 18.2 Mate edition soon. And I will try using Dconfig then. See what is possible then....

Thanks for all the help Moem, Kyphi and MuteAnt. Not solved yet unfortunately... Will come back soon when my upgrade is done...

Mute Ant
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Mute Ant » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Where is this Dconfig Gconfig stuff coming from? sudo apt-get install dconf-editor

The same editable key is available in Mint 17.3

newbie serena
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newbie serena » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:32 pm

I have installed linuxmint 18.2 Mate edition.I have downloaded Dconf.But just as before I just cant acces the settings in Dconf.
So I again have downloaded Gconf. In Gconf I CAN acces the settings, but I cant find any buttons related to suspend or sleep.

Then I started a search in the software resources for linuxmint for sofware with which I could tweak the automated suspend settings.
I found " gnome shell extension suspend button" software. And I found "gnome tweak tool" software.
Installed them both, but the software cant be found anywhere in my menus... I see it in a search that it is installed but I cant acces it...

I give up. I go back to linuxmint 18.1 Serena which has at least a 5 minute suspend option. In Linuxmint 18.2 Sonya I can only choose for an automated suspend in 10 minutes. Thats twice as slow as before...

I am gonna buy a notebook (uses 4 times less energy as a desktop pc) or I am gonna buy that wonderful "Mintbox Mini Pro" which uses only 5 Watt, compared to 250 Watt for my current desktop pc.
A "Mintbox Mini Pro" costs 400 dollars, but when I buy it I will save so much in a lower electricity bill that in 5 years time I will have earned back the FULL purchase price of this wonderful mini pc !!!

kyphi
Level 8
Level 8

Postby kyphi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:41 pm

newbie serena wrote:In Linuxmint 18.2 Sonya I can only choose for an automated suspend in 10 minutes.

That is not true. You can select 5 minutes.

I am still puzzled by your claimed installation of Dconf, Dconfig, Gconf and Gconfig.

MuteAnt has already indicated to you how to install dconf-editor and also clearly stated the path to the relevant statement where you can reduce the suspend time further.
I have independently tested and verified that this works.

Do you actually read what has been suggested to you or is it that you do not understand? If the latter, please say so and some patient fellow will try to guide you step by step.

Return to “Newbie Questions”