[SOLVED] Getting an Asus usb ac53-nano wireless adapter to work

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Getting an Asus usb ac53-nano wireless adapter to work

Post by JeremyB »

cd Desktop/rtl8822bu-master should work, the rest is just how the code tags work here

ImNotGivingUp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ImNotGivingUp »

I got it. I extracted the files to a folder and ran terminal from inside it. worked like a charm! online as we speak. THANK YOU so much!

please add this to the [SOLVED] list!

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

ImNotGivingUp wrote:please add this to the [SOLVED] list!

I'll be happy to do it for you this time; in the future, you can do that for your own threads by editing the first message in the thread, and adding the word [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

ImNotGivingUp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Getting an Asus usb ac53-nano wireless adapter to work

Post by ImNotGivingUp »

Did that to the other thread, forgot about this one, sorry.

TravLR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TravLR »

JeremyB wrote:Download https://github.com/jeremyb31/rtl8822bu/ ... master.zip and copy it to the Linux Mint desktop. Then right click the file and choose extract here
Then in terminal

Code: Select all

cd Desktop/rtl8822bu-master

make

sudo make install
Reboot
I followed this and it got my Asus USB-AC53 working without issue. Problem solved! Thanks JeremyB!
"Always do right. This will gratify some and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain

ImNotGivingUp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ImNotGivingUp »

Thanks Trav. However, I did have it installed correctly, but the Dell Optiplex 780 sux, and gave me nothing but heartache and browser crashes. Not the drivers, nor the USB, both are fine on other linux machines. CPU tests fine, RAM tests fine, etc. so it's likely in the main board. But....whattaya want for 30 bux? I guess I got what I paid for?

ousoonerchase
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ousoonerchase »

Hey I tried following these instructions but get an error on the "make" step. I'm running linux mint 18.3 64 bit. Thanks!

In function ‘thread_enter’:
/home/me/Desktop/rtl8822bu-master/include/osdep_service.h:345:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘allow_signal’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
allow_signal(SIGTERM);

Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

JeremyB, I recently purchased a FayTun AC1200 USB WiFi Adapter with the Realtek rtl8822bu chipset.
I had problems with other installations with some errors, but yours' worked fine without any errors, except that when I do a:
sudo modprobe -a rtl8822bu

The results:
modprobe: WARNING: Module rtl8822bu not found in directory /lib/modules/4.13.0-32-generic

Should I be concerned about this warning?

I am getting around 17MBps downloads. The same as my Broadcom BCM94311 (DW-1390) wifi adapter (internal).
Also, the blue light on the USB adapter doesn't work, either. But it works extremely well in Windows 10, as I bought this adapter for another person's PC, even the blue light works.
I am testing this adapter on Linux.

Thanks for all your splendid help.
Have a great day.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

Try

sudo modprobe 8822bu
Unless you changed the source code to change the module name

Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Thanks. Your code worked without any errors. I guess the "rtl" on the front-end was causing the warning.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

Just picked up the same adapter and am trying to use it on Linux Mint. When issuing the 'make' command, I get all sorts of errors. Any ideas?

/home/vtpoet/.local/share/Trash/files/rtl8822bu-master/os_dep/linux/ioctl_cfg80211.c:6161:25: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  .change_virtual_intf = cfg80211_rtw_change_iface,
                         ^
/home/vtpoet/.local/share/Trash/files/rtl8822bu-master/os_dep/linux/ioctl_cfg80211.c:6161:25: note: (near initialization for ‘rtw_cfg80211_ops.change_virtual_intf’)
/home/vtpoet/.local/share/Trash/files/rtl8822bu-master/os_dep/linux/ioctl_cfg80211.c:6184:22: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  .add_virtual_intf = cfg80211_rtw_add_virtual_intf,
                      ^
/home/vtpoet/.local/share/Trash/files/rtl8822bu-master/os_dep/linux/ioctl_cfg80211.c:6184:22: note: (near initialization for ‘rtw_cfg80211_ops.add_virtual_intf’)
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:289: recipe for target '/home/vtpoet/.local/share/Trash/files/rtl8822bu-master/os_dep/linux/ioctl_cfg80211.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/home/vtpoet/.local/share/Trash/files/rtl8822bu-master/os_dep/linux/ioctl_cfg80211.o] Error 1
Makefile:1491: recipe for target '_module_/home/vtpoet/.local/share/Trash/files/rtl8822bu-master' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/vtpoet/.local/share/Trash/files/rtl8822bu-master] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.8.0-58-generic'
Makefile:1318: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2

aaronthomas1979
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aaronthomas1979 »

Hello,

For the past couple years, I've been referring to this thread to get my ASUS Wifi adapters working with my x86 Linux Mint computers. It has always worked. Thanks for that!

But now I'm (finally) using a 64 bit processor with Linux Mint, but this package doesn't seem to work for that machine. Am I crazy? I do this:

make
sudo make install
(reboot)

..but no luck with this fancy new calculator :)

Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

Fur anyone else with USB device problems, start with the lsusb display. Find the USB ID. In this case, 0b05:184c. Google 0b05:184c

The same chips are used by dozens of brands with often just the id changed per brand. You can get from the USB ID to the original chip, in this case a Realtek chip, then find the solution.

When you buy from places like ebay, the better products sometimes have the chip or the USB id mentioned. You can look for posts about the same product and find the chipset that way. Unfortunately some manufacturers change the chip in every batch. The product can have the same label on the front but a completely different chipset inside.

Return to “Newbie Questions”