18.2 how to keep old kernel? (SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

18.2 how to keep old kernel? (SOLVED)

Post by Prsman »

I just updated to Mint 18.2 cinnamon. The update manager is showing one update: linux-kernel-generic 4.8.0-53.1
I want to keep my current kernel and get rid of this update notice. How do I do that? Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: 18.2 how to keep old kernel?

Post by Pjotr »

For example: disable all updates, including security updates, for level 4. In the preferences of Update Manager. Or (less invasive) blacklist kernel updates. Again in the preferences of Update Manager.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: 18.2 how to keep old kernel?

Post by JeremyB »

I would not want to be using the 4.8 kernel as it has been unsupported since the beginning of August. Post results for

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 18.2 how to keep old kernel? (SOLVED)

Post by Prsman »

Thanks for the replies. I found on this forum instructions on doing what I wanted to do. Right click on it, gone! Will also do what is suggested. Thanks
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about Update Manager in Linux Mint 18.2:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard of :?

I've been using *buntu distros for years - literally. While I do occasionally add a PPA or two, the rest of the sources are just Ubuntu, just like Mint. I almost always do sudo apt-get update and dist-upgrade in a terminal and have never had an issue. What is so different about Mint that adds so much risk to updates - especially when the purpose of updates are to provide to greater not lesser stability and safety.

That's really baffling ...
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

jglen490 wrote:I've been using *buntu distros for years - literally.
So have I. Full time since 2006, to be exact. So over a decade. Ah, the great Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Dapper Drake...
I almost always do sudo apt-get update and dist-upgrade in a terminal and have never had an issue.
I did. With the *buntu's, that is. Usually a rogue kernel update, on the average approximately once a year.
What is so different about Mint that adds so much risk to updates - especially when the purpose of updates are to provide to greater not lesser stability and safety.

That's really baffling ...
Apparently you don't understand the protective level system of Mint's Update Manager. That's what's *genuinely* baffling, because it's so simple: it provides an extra protective layer against the potentially disruptive effect of rogue updates coming from the Ubuntu sources.

It does so rather well. That's it and that's all.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

Never had a problem with the *buntus and I remember Dapper Drake with great fondness :D It was my first Kubuntu after experimenting with Mandrake/Mandriva, some BSDs, a Red Hat 5.2 box set I found at a thrift shop, and a little bit of Slackware.

When I hear that an "extra protective layer" is required on a mainline Linux distro - I get goose-bumps, and not from joy :|

O.K., so I'll be a bit paranoid from now on with Mint ...

Don't get me wrong, the ride has been great so far, and the ticket for the ride was easy to use - which I appreciate greatly.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

jglen490 wrote:I remember Dapper Drake with great fondness :D
A bonus for you as fellow admirer of Dapper, the first LTS that Ubuntu had: I've saved the .ogg file with the startup sound of the Dapper desktop on one of my websites. If you wish, you can download it here:
https://sites.google.com/site/computert ... ects=0&d=1

I've used it as startup sound for some time in newer *buntu's as well, but it's simply too long-drawn (11 seconds!) for the fast-booting desktops of today. But for me it evokes the feeling of fresh adventure with my very first Linux desktop, so for me it'll always be "the sound of Linux". :mrgreen:
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

Thanks. It's been a long time since I heard that!

Saved it ...

Return to “Beginner Questions”