[SOLVED] Quick Overheat

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NPHIMD

[SOLVED] Quick Overheat

Post by NPHIMD »

Greetings, Linux Mint users.

I had a problem with Linux Mint. I am running it from a Linux Live USB, made with Linux Live USB maker, using the ISO in the compatibility list for Rafaela 17.2 under Cinnamon.

My computer is an HP-Envy dv6t7200 which usually runs Windows 10. Its technical specs are:
Intel Core i7 3630QM @2.40 Ghz (x64)
16 GB RAM (2x8GB ELPIDA 1600 MHz)
Board 181B 52.24 bios f.23
NVIDIA GeForce GT630M

It overheated as I was registering in this forum, under no load at all. I had to send this message from my cell.

What do I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Quick Overheat

Post by Pierre »

check that the Fan is running whilst you are running from the usb stick

type this into Terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -s
type the result, back here.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
NPHIMD

Post by NPHIMD »

System temperatures: cpu: 78.0 C mobo: 78.0C gpu: 69.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm) cpu: N/A

All of my software under W10 does this too. It fails to detect the fan, but I'm hearing it. Hardware issue, I suppose.

Edit: ran it again a few minutes later. It's at 72.0C and 64.0C now.

Edit: spamming inxi gives me nearly random values between 71 and 78.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Sounds to me like a blocked exhaust vent/heatpipe and possibly failing thermal transfer compound on the CPU. Can you feel any (hot) air coming out of the exhaust?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"failing thermal transfer compound" or even the heatsink not touching the CPU at all. Bad Ventilation causes slow over heating, several minutes for the CPU to change the temperature of the metal. Fast overheating, a few seconds of use and it switches off, sounds like an air gap.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Mute Ant wrote:"failing thermal transfer compound" or even the heatsink not touching the CPU at all. Bad Ventilation causes slow over heating
I think you're right. I've attributed fairly rapid temp increases to a blocked vent (which was certainly alleviated by clearing it) but suspect I also need to re-gunk. Such rapid overheating as the OP is experiencing does indeed point to a failed thermal bond between the CPU & heatsink assembly.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
NPHIMD

Post by NPHIMD »

I doubt it will fix anything- I don't have this issue under Windows 10, so I doubt it's the hardware, but it shouldn't hurt my comp either way, haha. It is two years past its warranty anyway, getting a new one might not be the worst idea ever. I'll open up its guts and see if I can pick some lint&dirt off the fan. At least I'm learning how to Linux. Tried a couple distros now, just to see if I can get one that works right, but both Mint and Ubuntu seem to run way toastier than Windows.

BTW, I can't re-gunk, what little I know about hardware tells me it's a critical process that can absolutely melt my mobo and never have I ever done the most basic of tech support (short of pushing dirt off a fan with a brush).

P.S: I had a similar problem earlier. I don't remember the name of the process I found when using the

command, but there were 8- one that ended with a letter, and 7 that ended in digits from 1 to 7, which when I googled, told me were there to cap the core usage and prevent overheat, despite the fact they were forcing a close to 100% load on all of my cores. I don't think this was happening when it overheated the last time- though for obvious reasons, I didn't get a chance to check.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"All of my software under W10 does this too." ... "I don't have this issue under Windows 10" Duh?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

System temperatures: cpu: 78.0 C mobo: 78.0C gpu: 69.0
this is very bordeline high temps for cpu/mobo/gpu. even though laptops usually run hotter than towers you may need to call the manufacturer support and ask for details
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Mute Ant wrote:"All of my software under W10 does this too." ... "I don't have this issue under Windows 10" Duh?
That had me going as well, thought I'd misread it.
NPHIMD

Post by NPHIMD »

My apologies, that was ambiguous.

The issue I still have under W10 is that the fan speed sensors do not work, just like in Linux.
However, my laptop overheats under Linux.

But that's moot now. I FUBAR'd my computer yesterday trying to clean it, so I'll have to wait until the next laptop sale before I can test Mint again. See you until then.
NPHIMD

Post by NPHIMD »

Very well, I'm back now. Same computer, the technician did some magic and now it's back up.

As I was saying, my computer is running way too hot. 89C now according to inxi. This doesn't make any sense.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

go in your bios settings and load setup defaults maybe some hardware settings are off. it's hard to tell if this is hardware or software issue. do you feel the bottom very hot to touch? does extremely hot air blow out the vents? have you turned off laptop and taken out battery for about 2 minutes?

what is output of sensors (if you don't have lm_sensors install and first run the scan answering yes with sudo sensors-detect)
NPHIMD

Post by NPHIMD »

Update: Bottom painfully hot, but I feel no air out of the fans. [EDIT: I CHECKED AGAIN, AND THERE IS AIR COMING OUT] I suppose the sound is the HDD. Crossing 90°C.
Now using Cinnamon Mint 18.2 "Sonya" made with Universal USB installer 1.9.7.9.
I have now 8 processes, according to top, called kidle_inject/# {0..7} and each is using over 50% of the computer. I doubt they're responsible for my overheating, I've seen the overheat without them before.
output of sensors was a series of temperatures, mostly identical with each other. I still couldn't see my fan speed.

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +82.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:         +81.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:         +80.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:         +78.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:         +83.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +81.0°C  
temp2:        +81.0°C  (crit = +120.0°C)
temp3:        +30.0°C  (crit = +120.0°C)

nouveau-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
GPU core:     +0.91 V  (min =  +0.84 V, max =  +1.09 V)
temp1:        +70.0°C  (high = +95.0°C, hyst =  +3.0°C)
                       (crit = +105.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)
                       (emerg = +135.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)
Only BIOS setting that seems relevant is "FAN ALWAYS ON", which is enabled.

Going to test Ubuntu, tahrpuppy, and Fedora versions of the live USB linux next, gonna see if anything changes. All this overheating can't be good for the computer...

EDIT: Tested the others. Couldn't get puppy or Fedora to take, didn't check Ubuntu enough to know if anything's going on. I noticed, however, that if I hold the computer off the edge of the table so that the fan is blowing into empty air instead of into the table, it stays between 70 and 80...

I suppose that'll have to do for the time being. Thank you all for your time; I will count this issue as solved now.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [SOLVED] Quick Overheat

Post by trytip »

try test with a different distro other than ubuntu based like https://solus-project.com/ and you'll need to make the usb with http://wiki.rosalab.ru/en/index.php/ROS ... take_it.3F (to get your usb back working properly use the CLEAR option then you can format)
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

It might be an idea to stick some rubber feet to the base, this will increase the air-gap & help with grip.
NPHIMD

Post by NPHIMD »

P.S: I think I found out what the problem was. It's not that something was wrong- it's that something was missing. I tested like a dozen different distros (Gosh, tinkering in Linux can be pretty addictive...) and had the same problem in just about all of them.

My computer came preinstalled with HP CoolSense. Perhaps that is integral to its intended functioning, and without it, the temperature cannot be regulated effectively by the system.

Return to “Beginner Questions”