all gone back to default after restart/shutdown

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dutamulia

all gone back to default after restart/shutdown

Post by dutamulia »

I downloaded Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2.2 64 bit ISO file, then used Win32diskimager to burn the image to an 8GB usb flashdisk.
When i boot from the usb, i got a quick short error message but it is too fast for me to read, all i can see is the 'error' word, rest i don't understand and too fast either.
Then, i will get to choose one from 4 options:
1. Start linux mint cinnamon
2. Start linux mint cinnamon [compatibility mode]
3. oem install for manufacturer
4. check the integrity of the medium

After i picked option 1 the linux will loads fine. I can connect to wifi, i can use libreoffice, watch movies and stuff. Lovely..
But after i restart the laptop everything will reset to 'factory setting'. Any documents i saved in the default Document folder will be gone, movie player codecs i have installed will be gone as well.

So.. where i did wrong? incorrect installation method? or i have to use a bigger usb disk?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: all gone back to default after restart/shutdown

Post by JerryF »

It looks like you're running a live session of Mint from the USB, instead of an installed version.
dutamulia

Post by dutamulia »

JerryF wrote:It looks like you're running a live session of Mint from the USB, instead of an installed version.
I see.. i have googled a random page with "how to install an installed version of linux mint", reinstalling atm.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

dutamulia wrote:I see.. i have googled a random page with "how to install an installed version of linux mint", reinstalling atm.
To install Mint, you click on the icon on the desktop that's called 'Install Linux Mint'. You can't reinstall it yet, you had not installed it after all. Burning a bootable USBstick is not installing; you'll see as you go through the installer that it's a very different process.
Good luck and let us know if you have any problems!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
dutamulia

Post by dutamulia »

Moem wrote:
dutamulia wrote:I see.. i have googled a random page with "how to install an installed version of linux mint", reinstalling atm.
To install Mint, you click on the icon on the desktop that's called 'Install Linux Mint'. You can't reinstall it yet, you had not installed it after all. Burning a bootable USBstick is not installing; you'll see as you go through the installer that it's a very different process.
Good luck and let us know if you have any problems!
I burned the linux mint image with Yumi this time to a 16GB stick because Yumi rejected 8GB one saying insufficient disk space. In the burning option i was given option to allocate a persistent space, i allocated 4GB (max). The usb stick boots fine, all good i can run browsers and applications and now i can actually save files.

Then i run the install Linux Mint icon and directed the installation to the 8GB usb stick. It took forever for the installation to finish. The 8GB proper installation is not working, probably faulty disk or other problem. Loading screen of Linux Minty logo then just a blank screen with blinking dash/stripe. I will give it another try later.

But.. my question is.. why would i need a proper installation if a Yumi burned image works fine? I can do all i need like watching movies, work on documents, and browse internets.

I'll give an update later after i do another proper install. Thanks
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

8GB is too small for the installer to finish. It has guessed how much drive space there is, and got it wrong. As a bare minimum the Ubuntu install needs an empty store 3 times the size of the ISO, plus 1 times the size of your RAM.

USB2 stores are a bit slow for a full install. A new, genuine 16GB USB3 store will last a year [guess] and is much faster. I got mine GBP20 for three.

The Live Session was invented for people who didn't want to disturb the host computer. The Knoppix distribution is dedicated to this. It's a big ISO and you don't upgrade it, although you can add software if you want to. Persistence is built-in and automatically expands to fit the USB store.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

dutamulia,

There are basically 3 types of USB disks that you can create.
  1. A live USB without persistent storage that does not save any information (settings, files, etc.)
  2. A live USB with persistent storage. You can save files to your desktop, change the settings in applications, or install a program (there may be a couple of others things). These will remain the next time you boot the USB. You can't update the kernel, and I believe applications.
  3. A full install onto a USB. It is the same as installing Mint onto a hard disk. You can update applications, the kernel, etc. It's just like having a hard disk. I have 18.2 MATE on a 16 GB USB.

Return to “Beginner Questions”