Video performance and Desktop Environments

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
briandh25
Level 1
Level 1

Video performance and Desktop Environments

Post by briandh25 »

Hi everyone. According to the question I'm about to make I think I'm in the right place :)

A little bit a background first:
I have a Radeon HD 7790 which is 4 years old already. Not long ago it started to make a squaling noise that seems to keep getting louder and louder as time goes by. I did some research and it seems that it is due a coil vibrating but that it shouldn't affect performance.

After finding out that AMD doesn't have drivers for Mint 18 I decided to go back to Mint 17. The screen tearing I had in LM18 is gone but I notice that the video performance is not as smooth as I remember it to be when I was using Windows 7. When I'm watching a Youtube video and I have the system resourse window open, I notice the video gets a bit choppy, as if it was running at around 20 - 25 fps instead of 30 (or 60 for those 60fps videos). That low performance also occurs when I have two videos playing at the same time. I tested a Youtube video along some random video wich VLC player.
It seems like whenever there's only one "graphical" event going on things are fine but whenever you add more then performance gets slightly but noticeably affected.

Now from this, my two questions:

Could it be simply the graphics card that is slowly dying?

Is it possible that this is affected by Cinnamon for example? Would there by any difference trying with XFCE or maybe the new Ubuntu 17.10 which just switched to GNOME/Wayland?

Any thoughts on this rather particular situation I have?
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Video performance and Desktop Environments

Post by kc1di »

I would think the coil in question would eventually break at some point, Think I would do my research and find a new video card that plays well with linux.

The only way the desktop it self will make a difference would be if it uses less resources and allows more of them to be used when playing video. I don't believe the answer would be wayland /gnome - some video drivers won't even work with wayland and have not been ported to it yet. Thats most likely one of the reasons that Ubuntu still has an xorg fall back on their login screen. Though you could try it in a live session first and see if yours will work.

just MHO.
good luck in finding a solution that works for you.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

It has been my experience that youtube video is choppier on Cinammon, I don't know why. KDE has had better performnance, though I have not tried XFCE. It should be fine too.

I suggest you move to Mint 18 at your earliest convenience. The open source drivers are pretty good now for AMD, and you can update them via several repos (x-swat, oibaf, padoka). Notably GPU acceleration is much better in Mint 18 for AMD drivers.

I am using an a12-8800 with an ntegrated AMD Carrizo chip on Mint 18 KDE and youtube is fine.
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

Have you installed the AMD drivers, and are they loaded? If you're not sure, post the output of the command inxi -G
If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free... Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin... Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
briandh25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by briandh25 »

Here's the output

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Bonaire XT [Radeon HD 7790/8770 / R7 360 / R9 260/360 OEM]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
           GLX Version: 4.5.13399 - CPC 15.201.1151
I first installed Mint 18 but the screen tearing forced me to go back to Mint 17. The thing is that I didn't install any drivers from anywhere. There wasn't anything on the drivers list and I assumed that meant that I was using open source drivers by default.
Also I think I may give Mint 17.3 XFCE a try, unless I was wrong about what I just said about the drivers. In that case I'd like to give Mint 18 another try.

Thank you for all your help so far!
I really like Mint so far and I wouldn't like to give it up now.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

It should be noted that AMD fglrx drivers provide very limited video acceleration as xvba was borked from teh get go.

If you are determined to get this to work, start with the following:

sudo apt-get install xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 libva-egl1 vainfo
The post the output of

sudo vainfo
briandh25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by briandh25 »

I'll give that a try next Sunday when I'm on my computer. I didn't know that about fglrx, I thought it was actually one of the best options.

Should that work both for LM17 and LM18 by the way?

Thank you!
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

briandh25 wrote:I'll give that a try next Sunday when I'm on my computer. I didn't know that about fglrx, I thought it was actually one of the best options.

Should that work both for LM17 and LM18 by the way?

Thank you!
No. LM18 is different.

For LM18, just install the default OS. You should be on the AMD open source driver by default.

Then you may need to install the following packages

vdpauinfo
vdpau-driver-all

Then run

sudo vdpauinfo
If performance is inadequate we can look at installing more updated open source AMD drivers.
briandh25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by briandh25 »

I think I'll stick with 17.3 for now and try your suggested solution. I'll let you know how it went whenever I'm able to do it.

Once again thank you!
briandh25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by briandh25 »

mr_raider wrote:It should be noted that AMD fglrx drivers provide very limited video acceleration as xvba was borked from teh get go.

The post the output of

sudo vainfo
This is the output of vainfo:

error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.35 (libva 1.3.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

briandh25 wrote:
mr_raider wrote:It should be noted that AMD fglrx drivers provide very limited video acceleration as xvba was borked from teh get go.

The post the output of

sudo vainfo
This is the output of vainfo:

error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.35 (libva 1.3.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
that's about it. xvba only accelerates h264 and vc1. You need to use a player that supports it. Maybe VLC or mplayer. I think Kodi might also if you enable vaapi.
briandh25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by briandh25 »

What about streaming videos using Google Chrome? Should there be any difference?

Return to “Newbie Questions”