Windows 10 spying and data collection can be stopped with Virtual Machine? [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lmintnewb2

Re: Windows 10 spying and data collection can be stopped with Virtual Machine? [SOLVED]

Postby lmintnewb2 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Mentioned win8.1 was the last straw for me. Had been using the platform for a couple decades, thus had learned a bit about it. While doing my due diligence, research and tweakage to win8 and win8.1, yep found and attempted to disable several spyware "features" on the sucker. Just to turn around and come back later to see about it and nope ... the useful "feature" had been reactivated despite me or make that to spite me. Some of them stayed dead, some became the walking dead and rose from the grave on me and totally sure I didn't manage to find em all anyway. Window$ 10 based on everything I've seen about it is even worse.

Btw: Also others, that aren't practical or really problematic to even attempt to disable. ie: When you connect to M$ servers to get that ever present flood of updates, to fix bugs, patch sec holes that may've been around for 10yrs and M$ just never bothered getting around to, often updates bringing new bugs and borks in a viscious circle even bringing in new "features" or activated old "features", you've specifically disabled. All for your security and benefit of course, thanks M$ ! How much information about you, your OS ... and computer usage is likely to be exchanged in the process ?

Hmmm let's ask Catweasel, I'm sure he's an expert and has devoted 10's of hours to this and the gazillion other aspects of how window$ works on the most intimate levels. So no doubt will be able to tell everybody how to go about "fixing it". :D

btw2: I actually for a long time running window$ just disabled updates and decided to take my chances. You could also disable automatic updates, then manually trudge through only the one's designated as "critical" or whichever. Having to truly research each and what it actually does prior to installing them. Guess who get's to decide what's "critical" ... M$ does.

Have played with win10 on other people's boxes and this old second hand laptop came with it, so dorked around a bit with it briefly before doing the right thing imo = Overwriting it while installing gnu/Linux. :D Know going fully gnu/Linux just isn't practical for many who need it or use it for whatever reasons. Still though, think I won the game with M$, by knowing it's a headache inducing, time intensive and pointless one for ME. Checkmate M$, checkmate ole buddy, ole pal, lol.

Seems M$/window$ approach to operating system design, as new versions come out make them worse and worse, with so many still thinking they have no alternative. Whereas open source and gnu/Linux, just keeps getting better and better, with more and more options as time goes by.
Last edited by lmintnewb2 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lmintnewb2

Re: Windows 10 spying and data collection can be stopped with Virtual Machine? [SOLVED]

Postby lmintnewb2 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Ah dang it, gonna stop chasing my tail here, as I have no dog in the fight anyway. By all means do the best you can in your fight with M$ for privacy/security while using their operating system. May the best gal/guy or software corporation win !!! :D

Also apologies to Catweasel, my response shouldn't have been so snarky. Though the post you made that prompted it wasn't so much nice either. Oh well.

SyncroScales
Level 2
Level 2

Postby SyncroScales » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Re the original question, you could run Windows 10 in VirtualBox and keep the virtual network adapter disconnected at all times. In that case W10 would still collect data but it wouldn't be able to send any of it to Microsoft.

Thanks for the info. Does Win10 shut down or lag or anything when it cannot send the information?

And I was wondering how easy it has been to access the cloud and then get into someones computer from a 3rd party business or not. Anyone been hacked? I know stuff is installed multiple times and Microsoft is not keeping track of 3rd parties or what they do.

Also, so would Win10 being run within Linux also collect information about Linux or just Windows 10. How about other Virtual machines? I think it's all just data, but does the reach of Microsoft or a 3rd party's reach extend beyond the Windows 10 OS and understand it? Without (or with?) shutting off the abilities of Windows 10 being able to transmit data (Yes I put and read the quote at the top of this post.).
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2, ATI 3100.

Mattyboy
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Mattyboy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:18 pm

SyncroScales wrote:
Re the original question, you could run Windows 10 in VirtualBox and keep the virtual network adapter disconnected at all times. In that case W10 would still collect data but it wouldn't be able to send any of it to Microsoft.

Thanks for the info. Does Win10 shut down or lag or anything when it cannot send the information?

And I was wondering how easy it has been to access the cloud and then get into someones computer from a 3rd party business or not. Anyone been hacked? I know stuff is installed multiple times and Microsoft is not keeping track of 3rd parties or what they do.

Also, so would Win10 being run within Linux also collect information about Linux or just Windows 10. How about other Virtual machines? I think it's all just data, but does the reach of Microsoft or a 3rd party's reach extend beyond the Windows 10 OS and understand it? Without (or with?) shutting off the abilities of Windows 10 being able to transmit data (Yes I put and read the quote at the top of this post.).

Its not as easy as you think, but of course possible, to actually perform a direct hack on an individual providing you're following basic security measures. It ain't like the movies. Most hacks require a little more effort. time, money and social engineering. The most vulnerable time any system can be hacked is when an attacker has actual physical access. its actually quite easy to gain partial or all information from a computer you have in your hands. Of course you read/hear about big businesses and political parties being hacked all the time, guessing they're targets for corporate sabotage, stealing R&D etc... political gain, reasons are endless. That being said Mr Smith who earns 25.000 a year and has no savings is hardly one you'd target, what for, whats the point? why spend the time, cash and effort... unless you had a grudge. Most 'hacks', wrongly reported as 'attack' hacks and actually traps for the poor unsuspecting individual to wander into. These are opportunistic, no one is being targeted.

I, like most, know a lot of people with computers, smart phones, tablets and I've not heard of one instance where one had, knowingly, been hacked, attack hacked... but plenty who had been trapped. Unless you're a person of special interest it's unlikely you'll ever be a target, but you could be an opportunistic target if your laptop, phone or was stolen or you had a call from a computer scammer ( scum ).

In regards to a virtual machine windows 10 would know its running in a virtual environment and unless you actually link it to your host OS wouldn't know what the Host was or be able to access it. VM's are used by professionals, semi professionals and just the curious to run operating systems and software sand boxed from their main environment for good reasons, often to test for malware.

This raises another question in regards to Microsoft/Windows. Now on Linux you can rest assured that the host operating system isn't gathering information on what your doing in a virtual environment. Can you say the same about running, say, a Linux OS in a VM on Windows and its not logging your every move? Who knows? we can't see the Windows code can we.

Aleron Ives
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Aleron Ives » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:50 am

If you're going to the trouble of using a VM, I'm not sure why you'd want to battle with Windows 10 when you could just install an earlier and less invasive version of Windows, instead. That way, you don't have to go to extreme measures, such as preventing the VM from accessing your network.

Micro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Micro » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 am

administrollaattori wrote:How to block spying telemetry services? ->
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... 5eb?auth=1

Jeez that's scary.

SyncroScales
Level 2
Level 2

Postby SyncroScales » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:58 pm

Thanks for the information.

Mirco: Yes it is scary. There have been some sketchy updates for Windows Vista and before also. Windows 7 and 8/8.1 were also changed to allow more of that and pretty much be turned into Windows 10 as the support/development for those OS's was dropped for Windows 10 and the employees moved around or fired. Look on YouTube/social media, do you want some links?

Aleron Ives: I am asking about all of this to learn. It's not worth it and I am figuring out what I can do for a few people who will need their computers upgraded in 1-3 years. Most hate Windows 10 and are uncomfortable when I explain some things to them about what has been done.

Why can't people see the Windows code? Every new operating system is hacked within a few days, weeks or months at a hacking convention.

I have been trapped or an opportunistic target. I was lucky it did not get out of hand. I have to make sure to not quickly log into a social media site without double checking where I was. In a public place and on a laptop. It was the accounts and email provider that got spammed and copied. Then I changed my passwords on all the accounts and made a few more passwords.

Other times my apartment was broken into. They had physical access to the machine. I have heard about a few of these individuals and can see some things that have happened. Karma seems to have played out a little bit. Or there was some malware they suddenly got from my machine and they tried to blame me, I didn't know I was originally infected. :shock:

I should learn how they did it. They all deserve worse, even their tech people. People I worked with, met or didn't know enjoyed stealing from me and others. And they know how some of the gaining access is done, but they all took the USB sticks, did not clean them and then they were taken advantage off. But they stayed friends with the scum who committed the crimes. The police knew about some of it, but some of the scum had money or they outnumbered me and lied.

I watched some tech support scammer videos on YouTube about scammers infecting, destroying and not fixing peoples computers. It's good to expose them they are scum. I have tried to warn a few people about this type of thing too and had to try and help someone who's computer got progressively worse with each phone call and the $300 they charged.

I might get a version of Windows in a VM on Linux for some programs that still are not on Linux. But if I had a program such as Internet Download Manager in win10 on a virtual machine in Linux: It needs to get updates. I think I have to allow IDM or Win10 to connect to the network and transmit data? Can IDM be isolated or sandboxed? Or Win10 as a whole will have to connect, then it transmit all the data it has stored and then IDM can get updates, then I disconnect the network access for Win10?

I know it's a lot of work, I know IDM has some good Linux alternatives for getting the main file to download or the data that can be converted into a file format I want.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2, ATI 3100.

Mattyboy
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Mattyboy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:01 pm

You may wish to read up on "none- persistent" virtual machines.

http://searchvirtualdesktop.techtarget. ... istent-VDI

You can change the settings from persistent to none persistent at any time. Use the OS to do what you want in none persistent mode off line. shut the OS down start it back up after switching to persistent, update software and shut down again. Make sure you understand the different modes completely.

Regardless of mode if you go on line M$ will know what your doing at that moment.

SyncroScales
Level 2
Level 2

Postby SyncroScales » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Mattyboy: Thank you.

bob466
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bob466 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 pm

The only way to stop Microsoft spying on you is don't connect your VM to the Internet. Every version of Windoze has spyware and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

You can turn off the Telemetry but Microsoft just turns it back on...so that's not an option. There's software that claims to stop spying but I doubt it really works because every Windoze OS has hidden back-doors which allows Microsoft not only to spy on you but do whatever they like and that includes deleting files and many other nasties.
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never

Return to “Newbie Questions”