Lost my package manager and update manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Lost my package manager and update manager

Postby wutsinterweb » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:24 pm

I was installing pycharm and at 99% it got stuck, for one hour, so I "gracefully" closed package manager and it closed seemingly fine, but then disappeared from my menu and so did update manager. I've tried rebooting repeatedly and they are both still missing. Synaptic is still there.

I'm also having trouble during bootup: When I POST it goes into BIOS every first time, I accept the BIOS without changes, restart and then it goes into boot, but what is weird is that the little line/cursor before/during boot flickers over different parts of my screen.

I now recall that I had done an update that installed systemd (I guess it wasn't there already, install was done off of a 18.2 KDE ISO).

Anyways, I'm a little worried.
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Lost my package manager and update manager

Postby wutsinterweb » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Using Synaptic it tells me to fix broken packages, which I try to use it to do, and it is unable to do it. It says:

E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies

And I can't run or install aptik in order to save my settings and installs in order to do a fresh install.

All because I tried using the package manager to install eclipse, and then, when that didn't work, pyharm.
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Ok, never mind, I'll leave this here in case this info means anything to anyone, but I've read in other forums about systemd causing issues with, for example, network startup during boot and other things, and I really needed to know if my UEFI-BIOS was broken (which I've more and more begun to doubt) or rather, if it was something broken in the startup of Mint/bootloading/UEFI paritition/systemd. Well, indeed, after this fresh install before any updates, it starts up directly and doesn't force going into BIOS ever other time.

Now I understand that with modern OSs and BIOS, a shutdown/startup BIOS state is sent from the OS to the BIOS and if that, wrongly or not, tells BIOS to start on reboot/POST, that very thing will happen.

One day maybe I'll get experienced enough to not have to do a fresh install when I break things, but breaking things is one way to learn.
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:12 am

Please understand that I do not know for certain that systemd was my problem, but it coincides with the timing of my problems the previous install. I suppose I could reintall again and see what happens, but no, not so much, don't have the desire to go through more installs right now. With each fresh install, I get things more and more cleaner and better the way I want them, so reinstalls aren't all bad.
I want to learn!

Return to “Newbie Questions”