Installing wine might remove packages, advice

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
nightrevan
Level 1
Level 1

Installing wine might remove packages, advice

Postby nightrevan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi my first time posting, I hope you don't mind. I'm completely new to linux and I've hit a problem that I not sure I fully understand i couldn't find a direct answer googling for. I was attempting to install wine (to play Baldur's Gate enchanced edition) via the Software Manager and in red there appeared in details description: the following packages will be removed: libgles2-mesa, libgles1-mesa, libglapi-mesa, libgl1-mesa-glx.

This was the thread closest I found which seemed to be similar to this issue:

viewtopic.php?t=251679

I would like to ask what these packages do, the above thread suggests they are involved in display, and therefore I don't think I want them removed. Is there a way to install wine without removing them, such as suggested in the thread, I'm sure and I don't want to mess things up (as it stands I'm leaving it alone for the moment).

I'm running Linux Mint Mate 18.2 32-bit on my old Toshiba Satellite and this come from using 'inxi fxz' in the terminal:

CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 T5500 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB bmips: 6650
clock speeds: max: 1667 MHz 1: 1000 MHz 2: 1333 MHz
CPU Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov
constant_tsc cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts est fpu fxsr ht
lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor msr mtrr nx pae pat pbe pdcm pebs
pge pni pse pse36 sep ss sse sse2 ssse3 tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc vme
vmx xtpr

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions, currently I'm trying to get my bearings :) .

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Installing wine might remove packages, advice

Postby MintBean » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:21 pm

My advice is don't install Wine. I'm not sure why you're seeing the problem - it works fine here in 18.2 Cinnamon 64 bit.

Have you added any PPAs or additional repositories? Is there anything of note that is non-standard about your install?

If you got the game via Steam or GoG,com, you have access to the Linux version for free.

nightrevan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nightrevan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:56 pm

I don't think so, I installed mate via cd brought from the linux mint site and followed these guides in installing:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nt-install

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... mate-first

I thought from reading the game requirements in linux that I needed wine, can I install it without needing to install it (I downloaded it from gog)?

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:01 pm

Open update manager, make level 4 and 5 updates visible, then apply them.

After that install wine.

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MintBean » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Wine is used to play Windows games on Linux. It doesn't work well for a lot of games.
Baldur's has a Linux version which is advertised as Ubuntu 16.04 compatible. Mint 18.x are all based on Ubuntu 16.04 so are compatible with those games. You should be able to go back to GoG and download the Linux version (you get access to all versions for one price.) The Linux version does not require Wine.

lmintnewb2

Postby lmintnewb2 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi and welcome to Mint. :)

Going to throw a few cents in the pile. Though none of it is going to be 1, 2, 3 and will require you do additional google'ing about what's involved. Also note: I don't ... have never installed wine, well did once long ago, remember absolutely nothing about it. Plus think you've already gotten some good advice. Just why not and I may as well.

Could actually install a full window$ operating system onto a gnu/Linux - Linux Mint host OS. Would advise a true hypervisor NOT virtualbox. Kvm is my preference and actually after just a tad of research setting up Kvm virtual-machines is no more difficult than using virtualbox. Are graphical tools for it too. You don't HAVE to go cli-commando with it.

Some say window$ vm's don't work as well as an actual native M$ OS install( oops and I'm sure that's true), have seen some say gaming on one ( a window$ OS in a VM) is worse than in wine. I don't think these people have ever used Kvm though. Plenty of credible info out there which says a well setup vm on a true-hypervisor can get within 2-3% of the performance of a bare-metal OS( one actually installed to hdisk.) Note: Though really people that get that ... are people who really know what they're doing in a given virtualization technology. Xen, KVM etc.

Oops: Edit again: A reason it's named Kvm, ( kernel virtual machine). That's because it's been officially integrated into the actual Linux kernel for a LONG time already, receives much native gnu/Linux support and development efforts. So progress is always proceeding on it. Logically enough that includes, newer/better drivers for it coming out. Even one's which offer better support for window$ vm's.

Might also use similar to setup a Mint virtual-machine to conduct your wine experiments on, while keeping it very much isolated from your everyday working system and it takes all of no time to delete a vm that you messed up, have a new one setup and be right back to experimenting safely in a blink. Personally see the value of vm's if your hardware is capable as a pretty dang good way to do A LOT of learning Mint.

There's also the poor mans VM= Not really a VM though. That being if your hardware doesn't support virtualization. Though often not unusual to find even a 6-7yr old processor does and/or you have really limited RAM. Then there is no shortage of ways to clone a gnu/Linux OS, then slap it into a partition you use for testing purpose in a dual or multiboot, not hard to do with all this AWESOME nixy and Mintiness. Same thing basically applies to it. If you mess it up (the OS on your testing partition), doesn't take much time to overwrite it with that working clone or backup and you're back in business really quickly. Able to continue your experiments without ever risking breaking your main operating system.

PS, and this is not for newish type people, unless they really are willing to dig in and do some research/googling. Know of another quasi-vm technique for folks whose hardware doesn't support virtualization. Only going to give the basic idea though. It involves setting up a chroot-jail. Slapping everything a gnu/Linux OS needs to run into a dedicated directory and then yep, you chroot the sucker. Nothing as straight-forward as an actual hypervisor but very much like one in many regards. Sheesh depending could have VERY NICE performance. In many ways that's what something like OpenVZ is, a chroot-jail on steroids. Though it's apparently come a long way since I've last looked into it too. Sadly my only laptop at this time, the cpu doesn't support virtualization. Plenty of RAM but for now I'm out of luck when it comes to Kvm.

silvatech
Level 1
Level 1

Postby silvatech » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:03 pm

First off welcome to Linux =)

Would be helpful with best solution if you let us know what you need to run in Wine. I will subscribe to thread and follow up with you from their.

thanks

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Flemur » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:13 pm

nightrevan wrote:the following packages will be removed: libgles2-mesa, libgles1-mesa, libglapi-mesa, libgl1-mesa-glx.

Try these:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

see if those packages need to be updated.
Mint 18.2 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less - Xubuntu 16.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

nightrevan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nightrevan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:20 pm

Thank you all, I tried your commands Flemur and that managed to install the packages required, which removed the red warnings from the software install so thank you :) .

Slivatech, sorry I put the game I going for in parentheses, it was Baldur's Gate enhanced edition I was looking to install, but MintBean told me I could use the linux version of the game so I have held off installing wine for now.

And I will do some reading up on your suggestions Imintnewb2 to understand it and possibly try it to test things in the future :) .

I have run into a new snag in attempting to install the linux version of the game, not sure if anyone can help, when I attempt to run it I got this:

grant@grant-Satellite-A200 ~/Desktop $ chmod +x gog_baldur_s_gate_enhanced_edition_2.5.0.9.sh
grant@grant-Satellite-A200 ~/Desktop $ sh gog_baldur_s_gate_enhanced_edition_2.5.0.9.sh
sh: 0: Can't open gog_baldur_s_gate_enhanced_edition_2.5.0.9.sh
grant@grant-Satellite-A200 ~/Desktop

Looked around but didn't seem to get a clear answer online (one suggestion someone made to someone else online was to turn the .sh file into a zip and then extract it and run the .sh file - presumably within - which didn't sound like it would work, and didn't when I attempted that route, don't think it worked for the person in question either). I have made sure it's executable so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Not sure if I should have put this into a new thread, but I didn't want to little the forum, and it's a related issue, so any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated and thank you for you help in the first place, you solved my first problem :) .

lmintnewb2

Postby lmintnewb2 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:31 pm

^ Definitely virtualization is some just really interesting and cool stuff in general. As noted, can save you much time in learning and playing around with Mint and never having to worrying about messing up your actual install by not knowing what someone is doing or how to fix something they've done.

Also ... thing about the poor-mans/testing partition just two cents but there are TONS of ways to easily backup and restore gnu/Linux-Mint believe it's definitely worth investing some time into early on and get into the practice of incremental backup(s). Sooner or later it WILL come in handy. OS breaks ... wham, restore latest backup and you're back in business and borkage free in 15mins, vs reinstall, re-customize everything to where you had it and liked it ( So basically 15min and a safety net vs HOURS n HOURS.)

And once again, WELCOME to Mint ! Is really good to see someone who isn't afraid to roll up their sleeves, research and experiment to find out how to do something for themselves. :D You certainly chose well, Linux Mint = top notch distro, Mint community = same.

nightrevan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nightrevan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks imintnewb2 :) ,

also have managed to begin to get the installer to run, but it runs into a bit a problem, it gives this:

grant@grant-Satellite-A200 ~ $ chmod +x gog_baldur_s_gate_enhanced_edition_2.5.0.9.sh
grant@grant-Satellite-A200 ~ $ ./gog_baldur_s_gate_enhanced_edition_2.5.0.9.sh
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition (GOG.com) 100%
Collecting info for this system...
Operating system: linux
CPU Arch: x86
trying mojosetup in bin/linux/x86
USING en_US

PANIC
Initial setup failed. Cannot continue.

Error: Couldn't run mojosetup

Seems my problem is with mojosetup, will try see what I can do about that, and any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated again (and thanks again everyone for your time).

JerryF
Level 7
Level 7

Postby JerryF » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:44 pm

nightrevan wrote:...
I'm running Linux Mint Mate 18.2 32-bit on my old Toshiba Satellite...

The first thing I would suggest is installing the 64-bit version. Your CPU is 64-bit.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MintBean » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Maybe your user doesn't have read access to the script? This can be solved by:
chmod +r gog_baldur_s_gate_enhanced_edition_2.5.0.9.sh
Then try again with:
sh gog_baldur_s_gate_enhanced_edition_2.5.0.9.sh
If that fails for some reason, try it with administrator privileges:
sudo sh gog_baldur_s_gate_enhanced_edition_2.5.0.9.sh

Top tip: when typing the file name, type 3 or 4 letters then press tab. It should autocomplete. Saves typing and ensures no typos. All above commands obviously need to be typed in the same directory as the script.

nightrevan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nightrevan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:00 am

I wasn't sure my laptop could handle 64-bit as the Vista installed originally was 32-bit, but I might try upgrade if possible in the future I just though it was best to play it save.

MintBean - I did attempt the above but got the can't open the file issue again. Will attempt to re download the file again when I get back home, and try with a fresh file.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:11 am

Install the prerequisites for the game:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install libc6:i386 libasound2:i386 libasound2-data:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libjson-c2:i386 libopenal1:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libssl1.0.0:i386 libexpat1:i386 libx11-6:i386 libxau6:i386 libxcb1:i386 libxcursor1:i386 libxdmcp6:i386 libxext6:i386 libxfixes3:i386 libxinerama1:i386 libxrandr2:i386 libxrender1:i386 libjson0:i386

Then run the installer.

nightrevan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nightrevan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Thank you for the advice mr_raider, I attempted installing the prerequisites which thankfully installed some missing elements. Sadly the same problem remains (in that has the same error of saying it can't open the file above). I re-downloaded a new fresh file to be sure, but it was the same result, which I followed up with downloading another game file (one called Menzoberranzan, an old Gold Box DnD title on GoG) which installed fine (I haven't tried to run it yet :) ). So I'm coming to the conclusion it's something to do with the baldur's gate file itself. But thank you for your assistance, there were some packages needing to be installed :).

Edit:

This is just for anyone new like myself having similar issues and a bit of an update, this link means if you get:

PANIC
Initial setup failed. Cannot continue.

Error: Couldn’t run mojosetup

when trying to install a gog game (not sure if it applies the same to steam games) than your file is probably corrupt or incomplete. Here's the link, it's short but explains it clearly: http://hannes.enjoys.it/blog/2017/05/initial-setup-failed-cannot-continue-error-couldnt-run-mojosetup/ .

For myself I downloaded the main game file a few times, but it kept getting either of the two above errors whereas the expansion would work and install (but had no base game to install to). In the end I extracted the game with 7z x installer.sh (installer being your game file name) command and was able to play it :) . Installing the expansion I had to do in a roundabout manner, as it for some reason wouldn't extract, so I installed it into an empty folder, than took that context (which was just in this case the sod-zip) and put that into the correct folder, and the game is working with expansion in place. So success, the only thing that seems complicated is the mods, the process seems somewhat complex so I'll need to think about that. But anyone new like me having similar issues I hope some of these things might work for you as well.

Return to “Newbie Questions”