Permissions on USB stick- I think

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
aamcle
Level 1
Level 1

Permissions on USB stick- I think

Postby aamcle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 am

I have Mint 18 set up on a PC to be used at a charity shop, it's as working as it should but for one thing, I can't load a bunch of files and folders from a USB pen drive into the users folders. This is data I backed up from the old XP box they abused to death, disks over 99% full :oops: :oops:, however after a bit of effort I managed to get everything I need onto the pen drive.

Logged on to Mint as myself a member of the admin group I can see and manipulate the files on the pen drive however if I logon as as user I can not. I have given the user the right to access external storage devices automatically so I believe the problem is permissions. The pen drive is visible to the user on the users desktop and in the users file manager sidebar.

I own the files and the folder/pen drive they reside in but for some reason I don't understand I can't change the permissions on these files or at least I can't using Mint's GUI/file manager.

How do I give the user access to the files and the ability to copy them to the users home/documents folder?

Many Thanks aamcle

Mute Ant
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Permissions on USB stick- I think

Postby Mute Ant » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:35 am

If user A connects a removable drive, it's normal security to stop users B, C and D from seeing what's on it. In Linux Land users can be on different machines in different countries. So removable media automatically mounted under /media has special permissions...that '+' on the end...

mute@kermes /media $ ls -l /media
drwxr-x---+ 3 root root 4096 Nov 9 14:06 mute

I would copy the 'pendrive' files into a local folder, leaving the originals detached and out of harm's way. You could add a user 'shared' for example, put all the files in /home/shared and allow anyone who is in the group 'shared' to access them.
Armageddon only happens once, you know. They don’t let you go around again until you get it right.

aamcle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby aamcle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:34 am

Thanks for your help.

Having recovered in part from my recent attack of stupidity, I've remembered the chown command and tested it on my laptop (Mint 18).

I leave a copy of the files in my home and chown a second copy for the user, they are the ones who created and use the documents.

aamcle

sbroccolo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby sbroccolo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:43 pm

If you want to use a GUI, you can if you use the Cinnamon default file manager, Nemo.
Open the pendrive in Nemo.
Right click on a blank area. Click "open as root". Enter password.
Of course that user will have to have to have been setup as an "Administrator". Obviously, if you are doing it from your own Administrator login, no problem. You can now access all those files.
After copying the files to the appropriate directory, you can access "permissions" from "properties".

Hope this helps.

aamcle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby aamcle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Thanks but I've sorted it on the command line, giving the users ownership isn't ideal but it's all I can do to get em to use the pc let alown remember their own passwords Sigh.......

Thanks aamcle

Return to “Newbie Questions”