Roll back an update

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Prsman
Level 3
Level 3

Roll back an update

Postby Prsman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:58 pm

How does one roll back an update installed by update manager? IE: return to previous version. Thanks

Jim Hauser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Roll back an update

Postby Jim Hauser » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:00 am

Prsman wrote:How does one roll back an update installed by update manager? IE: return to previous version. Thanks

If it is a kernel update it can be rolled back easily. The only way I have found to roll back other updates is by restoring from a good backup.

I may be wrong but I have found no other way.

When the real experts read your post they will probably ask you to post the results of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(note the upper case F) from the terminal. It would also help if you posted what was updated at the time.

Best of luck!

lmintnewb2

Postby lmintnewb2 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:17 am

Agree with the person above. Get a good incremental backup/restore plan in place. DO IT, DO IT, DO IT NOW ! :P Just a fyi thing yeah it can actually be done (possibly anyway) though the amount of aggravation that'd be involved for you and the amount of typing I'd have to do trying to even outline it makes it a no-sale. Esp the me having to type part. :D Noting that the junk I'm thinking is a fairly semi-complex theory and may not even work. Never had a reason to attempt any such full downgrade either.

However as a fyi in future kinda thing, there are file-systems/formats supported by gnu/Linux-Mint which do allow for this type of thing, Btrfs (snapshots) specifically and such as employing LVM which could be used to setup a situation like I was droning on about above, cloning volumes and restoring them quickly. Don't have extensive knowledge of either of those options and you'll have to take it up with google. Tend to practice what I preach though in terms of keeping periodic backups, in case something ever goes badly wrong and I need to restore one.

Really this = 2cents.

Mute Ant
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Mute Ant » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Even ext2 can make a hard-link writable snapshot. Not as good as a proper duplicate, but enough to roll-back a regrettable upgrade...
sudo cp -flav /* /lost+found 2>/dev/zero
...but it has to be done before the original is replaced.
Armageddon only happens once, you know. They don’t let you go around again until you get it right.

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Penn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Synaptic Package Manager. Find package (app or component) choose "Package" then "Force Version". Not all previous versions will be available but if it is possible for that package that is the only easy way I know of.

bob466
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bob466 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:56 pm

I have Timeshift installed for this reason...among others and works very well. I create a Restore Point especially for level 4/5 updates...just to be on the safe side. Some time ago there was a kernel update...when I Re-Booted the computer I had no sound or Internet...so I clicked on my Restore Point...done.
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never

Prsman
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Prsman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks for the replies. When I search Synaptic for the older package, it does not show. So, cant do the force.
I was thinking this command may work:

sudo dpkg --simulate --force -downgrade (package name)

The --simulate is to do a dry run to see what the command would do first. Anyone see something wrong with trying this? Thanks

(edit) update was this openjdk-8-jre and openjdk-8-jre-headless

Return to “Newbie Questions”