Linux mint solved all my linux issues

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kneejo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint solved all my linux issues

Postby kneejo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:10 am

I recently installed linux mint again on a dual boot with windows 8.1
I opted to install 18.1 and then upgrade to 18.2 from inside linux mint because the 18.2 iso didn't configure X properly for me.
All of this went flawlessly and I ended up with an up to date system. Even installed a kernel to update 4.10.

So what am I doing wrong? Usually linux requires hours and hours of googling and working with configuration files to get it to work properly.

No seriously, Linux Mint did a great job in making linux available for people who want to try something better than windows. It doesn't run all the games I want to play, but it delivers an easy to configure desktop environment. I'm just waiting for something to break during an upgrade and require me to learn more about linux under the hood so to speak. But other than that nice work! :)

Mattyboy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux mint solved all my linux issues

Postby Mattyboy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:20 am

kneejo wrote:
So what am I doing wrong?

You haven't encountered a PEBKAC error yet, give it time :D

Seriously though good for you, welcome to Linux/Mint/the forums, enjoy and if you do encounter any problems, however silly they seem, you can always ask the very knowledgeable members here... but not me I'm an idiot ;)

kneejo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux mint solved all my linux issues

Postby kneejo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:55 am

Mattyboy wrote:
kneejo wrote:
So what am I doing wrong?

You haven't encountered a PEBKAC error yet, give it time :D

I had to google that one :) Yeah, that's where most errors occur. I've had my fair share. I've been around since Debian 3.0 and only in recent times have come to really enjoy linux because distributions are coming with many graphical tools these days and many redundancies to prevent new users from becoming confused. I really like how linux mint takes care of things like installing my nvidia drivers and configuring the system without having to open up a terminal. Even my knowledge of the inner workings is becoming outdated because much has changed under the hood since I started. I like messing around with it as a hobby but I leave my dual boot option there in case grub decides to fail or something. I really don't like when that happens just at a moment that I need my computer. Linux is still at the level where you need to have a lot of knowledge ready in case it fails, or have a second computer with internet to look up how to solve the problem. Windows never brought me so much hassle. The hardest thing I needed to do in windows was reset my master boot record after Grub had failed to load again and I wanted to restore my MBR.

I still have mixed feelings but let's see how well Mint fares. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”