[SOLVED] Old laptop advice

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zakari

[SOLVED] Old laptop advice

Post by zakari »

hi all,

I read all thread found in Google, all seems outdated. I have a Compaq Presario C700 means :
CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6mhz
MEM : 4gb DDR2
which Mint version will be more suitable ?

between Cinnamon and Mate, suggesting Mate ah?

keep in mind, that should be x86, coz everytime installing OSx64 the fun going to fly!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Old laptop advice

Post by killer de bug »

I would install the XFCE version.
Customized a little, it is as beautiful as Cinnamon. And it will be much faster than Cinnamon. :wink:
BlackJackMarcus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BlackJackMarcus »

I've got a C700 (500G HDD and 2G ram) with Mint XFCE installed on it. Gets a little bogged down if lots of web pages are open (>15) using Opera or Firefox. I initially used Lubuntu then tried Mint XFCE and stuck with that. Takes a while to boot up but once its there it runs everyday tasks fine. Just don't load it up too much with unnecessary bling hence XFCE is a good choice.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Xfce has my vote too.
MATE might work as well, but Xfce will be faster and probably better on that machine.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
zakari

Post by zakari »

thanks guys, apart from GUI u suggesting to install the latest version (v18.2) or something older ?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I think 18.2 would be a reasonable choice. If you find it doesn't work well on your hardware, then try 17.3 as well. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

either the MATE or XFCE versions, should work fine,
but with that 1.6Ghz CPU - - you probably will have issues with watching YouTube movies . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
wizzybang

Post by wizzybang »

I've just installed Mint 18.2 on my old machine. It's a Lenovo Thinkpad R500 3gb RAM, P8700 C2D. Runs like a dream. It does get bogged down a bit when lots of tabs open in browser but apart from that runs like a charm.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

I saw this as I was cruising on my desktop, so I fired up my laptop which is:

Code: Select all

john@john-Satellite-A135:~$ inxi
CPU~Dual core Intel T2080 (-MCP-) speed/max~1333/1733 MHz Kernel~4.10.0-37-generic i686 Up~13 min Mem~683.1/1883.7MB HDD~500.1GB(9.3% used) Procs~173 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35 
with 2 GB of RAM. This laptop is running:

Code: Select all

john@john-Satellite-A135:~$ inxi -v 2
System:    Host: john-Satellite-A135 Kernel: 4.10.0-37-generic i686 (32 bit)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6  Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
quite well.

I'm sure yours will run Mate or XFCE very nicely, but it should be able to handle Cinnamon alright. Just figure out what you will be doing with the laptop and the complexity of the payload you will run.
zakari

Post by zakari »

hi all,

I installed v18.2x86 XFCE... Like it... 'Sometimes' (1time of 3) when the machine is starting Im getting the Mint logo with dots and afterwards a blank screen even I wait 10min stuck there. The installation made without internet connection the wifi&ethernet working properly.

what I liked is that finally the
lid close - lock computer
worked!

:!: thanks all! :!:

Return to “Beginner Questions”