Need security??

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ICIT2

Need security??

Post by ICIT2 »

I know this must have been asked a million times but I cannot find any definitive thread with an answer.

Do I need to install security for the net in Mint as my most concerns are of course financial ones such as banking and buying / selling on the net??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Need security??

Post by jimallyn »

Forums member Pjotr has a few words on security on his Easy Linux Tips site:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security

Most Linux users do not use an antivirus, but do turn on the firewall (which by default is disabled).

Some time when you've got time, wander around Pjotr's site. He has a LOT of useful information. Ordinarily, most Mint users would tell you to NOT go searching the web for info, but Pjotr is a well respected member of the Mint forums, and the information on his site is always good.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Aintivirus? No.
Firejail? Good idea for programs that connect to the Internet
As said turn on the firewall, you don't need to do anything else to it.

Good ideas? Install https everywhere, Ublock origin and maybe noscript in firefox.

Only use and download programs from the software manager or synaptic, same for drivers, only from the driver manager. Don't download random stuff from the net to install ( Linux ain't Windows ).

Keep your system up to date.

That's about it apart from the No.1 top tip for security... common sense. That last one will save you more than any other method. ;)
ICIT2

Post by ICIT2 »

Thanks for the replies and yes I am all for common sense I am just a bit jittery when it comes to banking etc but I guess the bank would have good systems in place eh?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

ICIT2 wrote:I guess the bank would have good systems in place eh?
I wouldn't bet the ranch on it :(
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Mattyboy wrote:Aintivirus? No.
Firejail? Good idea for programs that connect to the Internet
As said turn on the firewall, you don't need to do anything else to it.

Good ideas? Install https everywhere, Ublock origin and maybe noscript in firefox.

Only use and download programs from the software manager or synaptic, same for drivers, only from the driver manager. Don't download random stuff from the net to install ( Linux ain't Windows ).

Keep your system up to date.

That's about it apart from the No.1 top tip for security... common sense. That last one will save you more than any other method. ;)
Good advice - I would add DNScrypt to protect from DNS spoofing especially if you use a laptop in public places or wireless in general. Same goes for installing a private VPN - not a big concern if you have a PC on a home network and using the extensions Matt suggested (https everywhere, Ublock origin and noscript) but a really good idea if you use a laptop on public wi-fi also not a bad idea in terms of privacy now that US Congress has decided that your ISP can track and sell your data to 3rd parties.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I felt jittery also doing banking/purchasing when I first switched to Linux Mint. Trust me, that feeling will go away. Just keep your Mint and browser up-to-date as well as turning on the firewall and using common sense as has been already suggested.
Last edited by Schultz on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

WharfRat wrote:
ICIT2 wrote:I guess the bank would have good systems in place eh?
I wouldn't bet the ranch on it :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:

True that... but if its the banks fault then its the banks fault.... despise the widespread corruption, greed and narcissism you'll have a 'leg to stand on' and be able to appoint appropriate blame. ;).. wouldn't worry to much about that. Just keep records like any other sensible person.
revian

Post by revian »

ICIT2 wrote:... but I guess the bank would have good systems in place eh?
That's probably what Equifax thought.
ICIT2

Post by ICIT2 »

Thanks for the replies because I was thinking of getting a suite to install as I hav been using Kaspersky for years on Windows but I guess any Windows is a prime target. I have a friend who has Eset set up on that machine which is what prompted me to ask.

Anyway it is so nice to e away from the Windows system which was getting so intrusive to be honest and the atmosphere in tis forum is just such a pleasant change.

Return to “Beginner Questions”