do i need more memory or.. ? cinnamon not running well as opposed to xfce

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blithespirit

do i need more memory or.. ? cinnamon not running well as opposed to xfce

Post by blithespirit »

hi there, this is just a -super- basic question about cinnamon and why its running so incredibly slow and terrible compared to xfce on basically the exact same computer.

my bf built me a computer 3 years ago out of all new parts... it had debian originally but i later changed it to mint with the xfce desktop. it had a windows 7 partition which i rarely used. it had a decent amount of memory, but not a huge amount. before this i had never used linux but he was going to teach me, however he died so ive been on my own with it.

it was very fast and very stable for 3 years and then had a massive hard drive problem and i had to completely replace the hard drive.

i got a much larger hard drive, a terabyte, but it was not new, it was used. also at that point i installed the newer (the next to newest) version of mint, with the cinnamon desktop... i knew it probably wouldnt be as stable or smooth but i wanted better capability in terms of playing videos and live videos becuase xfce just wasnt very good at that.

so basically this computer is now running totally like shit. it is incredibly slow and chokey and i have to restart it literally every day. it cant run more than one program at the same time and is basically the worst computer ive ever had at this point. previous it was soooo fast and smooth.

the only things that changed are the larger, used, hard drive, and the change from xfce to cinnamon. the cinnamon is the next to newest version. not the ultra new version, the last most stable version, in 64 bit. (i dont know how to look up those numbers at this point but im assuming that info might be needed to answer this question)

basically, what im wondering is:

1) is this hard drive somehow just a piece of crap
2) do i just need more memory to run cinnamon and use the bigger hard drive. (easy to solve)
3) i remember my bf saying 32 bit is less demanding than 64 bit, even if you have a 64 bit computer. should i try installing the 32 bit version if i want to keep using cinnamon.

4) ????

i vastly prefer xfce but it just cant run videos especially on youtube or in for instance face book live videos. it just shows a blank box and says it cant play it. so, im feeling stuck.

the first thing im about to try is taking it back to the place who fixed the hard drive and putting in more memory... if that does not work im going to try to reinstall maybe a different version. i know this is all very basic and i dont have a lot of specific info here about parts and versions but i can get that if its necessary.

im just basically checking to see if my problem solving is correct about trying more memory first..

im sorry if this needs more specific info to answer, i can get that, i just dont exactly know how right now, but i can do it if its necessary. thanks for any direction here :}
blithe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: do i need more memory or.. ? cinnamon not running well as opposed to xfce

Post by Moem »

The big thing that's missing from this post, and you'll probably do a *facepalm* when you realise this:
any information at all about the actual computer. :wink:
It does sound like you need more memory, but how much do you have?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Open a terminal, maximize it to avoid chopped off lines, then type inxi -Fxz, and press Enter. Copy/paste whatever that spits out in your next post. That will give us the information we need about your system. I have installed XFCE on several computers, and it plays videos just fine. I would expect that you would have more troubles playing videos on Cinnamon than on XFCE, since Cinnamon uses much more memory and CPU than XFCE does.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
blithespirit

Post by blithespirit »

lovely! here ya go... now im trying to look at all that and figure out what it means. i wonder if the problems i had with audio and video were a hardware or driver problem. @ sorry bout the previous lack of info, im pretty smart but have a brain injury, so sometimes its difficult to figure out obvoius things even thought im relatively smart. thanks very much!

System: Host: aphrodite Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3) Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine: System: Gigabyte product: N/A
Mobo: Gigabyte model: F2A88XM-D3H v: x.x Bios: American Megatrends v: F6 date: 05/28/2014
CPU: Quad core AMD A8-5600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 28747
clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 1900 MHz 2: 1900 MHz 3: 1900 MHz 4: 2400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7560D] bus-ID: 00:01.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1360x768@60.02hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-21-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (8.5% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10EALX size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 914G used: 76G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.42GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 1.9C mobo: N/A gpu: 1.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 187 Uptime: 2:41 Memory: 1615.2/3135.8MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.3.1
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421) inxi: 2.2.35
blithespirit

Post by blithespirit »

hmm looking at that im not sure it lists how much memory i currently have.... im trying to find some 'about this computer' and im not seeing it... so if that isnt saying how much memory i have, im sorry! yes, face palm. @@@

also: the problems with video seemed to be flash-related. it showed a black screen and said i needed to update flash, but there was no flash available for my computer type. also, it said i needed to update my browser, but the synaptic package manager did not offer any more recent versoins of the browsers i was trying to use. (firefox and chrome) thats why i figured it was a problem specific to xfce.

i figured it was less popular maybe and thats why it didnt have newer versions of browsers. also, if i -was- able to get video, i could not ever get any audio at all. then finally youtube stopped working completely. it said it was in an unsupported format or something like that and just wouldnt play any video. i was trying to fix this at the time my hard drive crashed so it never actually got fixed. i just upgraded the mint version and changed to cinnamon, and it does play videos and audio normally now, anywhere i want it to.

however, i have the same version of mint but with xfce, on my lap top downstairs.... i have an hdmi cable running to a tv, and it will play video, but not any audio! all thats a seperate issue, but wanted to give more info about it since its been a running problem and the main reason i thought i needed to try a newer, more popular version that probably had more updated browswers available. the video thing doesnt seem to be a memory issue, it seems more about software and possibly hardware..

but the main reason i actually switched to cinnamon was thinking it had more updated browsers. the fact that xfce still has more trouble playing videos in general (downstairs) is kinda supporting this theory, but like i said i have literally no idea what im doing here. ok thanks very much!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ blithespirit, .......
Your video problems with LM Xfce are likely related to Flash videos, eg ... https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ns/Roadmap = one fix is to install Firefox 52ESR and disable its upgrades.
... Another reason may be the AMD Radeon graphics card.

AFAIK, before 2015, most web videos and video ads were proprietary Flash videos from Adobe, ie website developers had to pay Adobe to use Flash. Thereafter, non-proprietary HTML5 web videos began to replace Flash videos. Flash web videos are more vulnerable to hacking = being phased out and replaced by more secure HTML5 videos. But during this transition period, there still exist many websites that use Flash and display Flash videos and video ads. So, the browsers' Flash-player should be configured properly to be able to play Flash web videos.

Since March 2016, Google do not support 32bit Chrome for Linux, ie only support 64bit Chrome for Linux or 32bit Chrome for Windows.

Some web videos are DRM-protected, eg non-free Netflix and Hulu videos, video-on-demand, pay-per-view Live videos, etc. To watch such videos, you need to enable DRM in the browsers.

So, the video problems in LM Xfce could be because of the browsers.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Your computer has about 3GB of RAM, which is sufficient to run LM Cinnamon 64bit.

The slowness problem with LM Cinnamon is likely because you have auto-installed a very large 914GB partition for / or root or system. The / partition should be about 50GB only = need to use the manual "Something else" install method to do this.

Was your LM Cinnamon installed in UEFI or Legacy BIOS mode.? Check this by going into BIOS setup or run LM Cinnamon or the Live LM DVD/USB and post the Terminal output for sudo fdisk -l
(-l is l in lower-case, ie not L or 1)

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode install)
blithespirit

Post by blithespirit »

ok well that was extremely helpful.... yes i bought the disk online ($6) and let it auto install. i figured that would pick optimum sizes for stuff but maybe not.... i understand this stuff (below) even less than the other stuff, but here it is. i saw the tutorial link and i will look at that. my friend has the disk now so i have to get it back before trying to reinstall.

that makes a lot of sense though.... also the stuff about flash made alot of sense too. i will look into that more once i get the installation right, and then see how it works after that. right now i have most access to videos with no problem... so if i can get cinnamon running ok hopefully that wont be a problem with this computer.

with the laptop, im not sure, but i'll deal with that after this is taken care of... :} thanks again so much!

Disk /dev/ram0: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

Disk /dev/ram1: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram2: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram3: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram4: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram5: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram6: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram7: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram8: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram9: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram10: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram11: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram12: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram13: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram14: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/ram15: 64 MiB, 67108864 bytes, 131072 sectors

Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x1cc699ba

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 * 2048 1946832895 1946830848 928.3G 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 1946834942 1953523711 6688770 3.2G 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 1946834944 1953523711 6688768 3.2G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ blithespirit, .......
blithespirit wrote:.
The "sudo fdisk -l" output shows that LM Cinnamon on the 1TB drive was installed in Legacy BIOS mode on your 2014 UEFI desktop computer = dos disk and no EFI Boot Partition displayed(= fat32 file system/about 500MB in size)

Since the advent of M$-Win 8 in 2012, nearly all post-2011 OEM computers use UEFI technology = usually requires Secure Boot, GPT disks, 64bit bootable software and a fat32 EFI System or Boot Partition. Legacy BIOS technology usually requires ms-dos disks, 32bit or 64bit bootable software and a fat16 MBR Boot Partition. The install procedures are different = much simpler to install Linux in Legacy BIOS mode.
... Most modern UEFI computers have a BIOS setting for booting/installing in Legacy BIOS mode, ie CSM(Compatibility Support Module) or Legacy BIOS enabled.

ms-dos or MBR disks are limited to 4 primary partitions and 2TB in size. GPT disks are not such limited.

To reinstall LM over a previous faulty install, you need to use the manual "Something else" install method to first delete all the previous Linux partitions to create a new free-space to accommodate the new install or reinstall. Then be guided by the Tutorial for manual partitioning.
P S - Some web videos are geo-blocked or region-restricted, eg ABC News website may geo-block their news videos for only web-surfers in USA.

P P S - If you had been using 32bit Chrome for Linux since 2013, it would have been stuck at Chrome version 48 since March 2016, even though it could still be used online. Today, you can no longer download and install 32bit Chrome for Linux from Google's website. A good alternative for 32bit Chrome for Linux is the Flashpeak Slimjet 32bit browser. Or use 64bit Chrome for Linux by installing 64bit Linux.
blithespirit

Post by blithespirit »

michael,

ok that was extremely helpful, thank you....! i dont actually remember but theres a decent chance my previous version was 32 bit... either way it would make sense as to why the browsers were so totally outdated and impossible to update... i really couldnt figure that out.

i have the disks back now, it will probably take me a couple days to back up everything and try to reinstall. its really interesting that having too -large- of a / (as opposed to too small of one) would turn such a previously great computer into such a huge pile of garbage. interesting. i would have expected automatic install to do a better job, but ??

also reading back, it was mentioned that part of the video thing might be my graphics card....?? if so, can anyone suggest a better one? its a couple years old and wasnt a super amazing one to begin with im sure. i never play games or even watch movies, but i can certainly try to get a better graphics card, or anything else hardware wise, if anyone can suggest one!! there's a computer recycling place right by my house and its easy to get parts. this was intended to be a somewhat nice but basic computer, as i said my bf built it for my birthday, installed debian, told me what the synaptic package manager was and then literally passed away the next week.... he died on pi day, 03/14/15. so im pretty sure he would have had me update some stuff by now if he were around.

thanks a lot for the guidance, its been really helpful and interesting. certainly looking forward to reinstalling this! !
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ blithespirit, .......
From your "inxi -Fxz" Terminal output, the AMD Radeon graphics card is likely not the problem.
... You can confirm this by running a Live session with the Live LM 18 USB-stick/DVD, ie go for a 'test-drive' with the OS. If you can stream a Youtube video without any problems = the AMD Radeon graphics card is working OK. If the Live LM system runs quite fast, then the internal 1TB hard-drive is not OK(= a too large / partition).

From your "inxi -Fxz" output, you have 2 AMD sound cards, which are only needed if you have many speakers, eg 5 or 7 speakers for DVD/BluRay Surround sound effects. Otherwise, you only need 1 sound card = for 2 inbuilt speakers. Maybe, unplugging one of the AMD sound card will solve the audio problems in Linux.

If you have audio problems, try going into the Sound settings in >Preferences. Try doing some research into the inbuilt Alsa and Pulse audio programs. Once, I had to locate the Sound card driver from the manufacturer's website and installed it before I could get audio to work in Linux.

P S - The Live LM DVD should be handled with care, ie try not to cause it to be bent or warped through mishandling. Eg remove the DVD from the tray by using your finger or nails to lift one end of the DVD to unhinge it from the center spring-locks. Forcing the DVD out of the tray will tend to bend it. If the DVD is slightly bent and cannot be booted into a Live session, try unbending it with your fingers.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

I'm noting you have less than 4 gigs of RAm. You probably have 4 gigs installed but some is apportioned to your integrated graphics memory.

I suggest you reduce that amount to no more than 512. If that does not work you can try mate or xfce. Cinnamon is most comfortable with at least 4 gigs of RAM.

You can try de-activating some desktop effects also.
blithespirit

Post by blithespirit »

ok well great..... thank you very much for that..! think im probably going to add more RAm no matter what.. will also check out the video/audio cards as was suggested, with the disk. im surprised to hear about 2 audio cards, dont remember us doing that so thats a bit of a mystery.. the install disks are new and in good shape so i think they are ok.

wouldnt be commenting on this so soon otherwise, but, annoyingly, here's a perfect example that literally happened today. i also dont have a tv... only basically watch a couple of news shows and i stream them. (the main one is at http://www.livenewson.com/american/msnbc.html to give an example) sorry if that link isnt allowed here im trying to give an example. so basically ive been able to run that for months, but its been more and more difficult and just today it refuses to run at all.. saying.. "error loading player. no playable sources found".

its told me that before, but reloading it or restarting would usually fix it..... today, it just wont play no matter what i do. i havent done or changed -anything- at this point, literally nothing about my computer has changed at all.... just after waffling about it for a number of days/weeks it just suddenly decided it wont play this video... 'no playable sources found'.

this is the basic nature of almost all the video problems im having. increasingly it just refuses to recognize or play from sources that it would play from before. then it finally just stops playing them at all. why is this happening, even with an updated version with newer browsers ? its not about them being slow or whatever, its about the computer being completely unable to recognize the video as playable.

this is depressing. basically i dont do a lot with my computer, i go online and watch youtube stuf cause i dont have a tv. i watch music videos from my friends on youtube and i watch live stream stuff. thats all i do with my computer. i dont even have cable or any paid video service at all. im not very demanding on my computer. its depressing that its failing to do stuff that is so incredibly simple. im sure people who know what they are doing arent having these totally basic and stupid problems, so im hoping its me and stuff that can be learned/improved.

still gonna do all the other stuff, and maybe after the reinstall it will be fixed... just wanted to document here this is whats happening. thanks everyone appreciate it very much.
blithe
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ blithespirit, .......
Did you do the above live-streaming video test in a Live LM session on your desktop or with your operational laptop.?
Which ISP, browser and LM edition are you using.?

During the install of LM, have the third-party software, proprietary drivers and codecs been installed.? If not, you can manually install the proprietary codecs by referring to ... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ia-support

Please check your HTML5 web-video player at this link ... https://www.youtube.com/html5
I have no problem live-streaming MSNBC from the link with LM 17.3 Cinnamon 32bit and Firefox 52ESR(= accept all cookies until FF closes, Flash-player plug-in and DRM enabled). Usually, I have to click 'Pause', then 'Play' before the live-stream would start.
... To live-stream at 1080p/UHD video quality, you need an Internet download speed of at least 4Mbps. If you only have a 1Mbps ADSL Internet plan, you should live-stream at only 360p or 240p, if available. Otherwise, upgrade your Internet plan to at least 4Mbps.

Also, most Internet plans from ISPs have monthly Data caps. If the Data cap has been reached before the end of the monthly billing cycle, your Internet speed will be throttled until you can only read news on the web, eg throttled to about 200 kbps = 0.2Mbps.
... If you watched 1 hour of live-streamed videos at 1080p, you would have consumed about 4GB of data. A similar 1-hour streamed recorded(non-Live) Youtube video would have consumed about 2GB of data.

If you have many people sharing and using your home-Internet at the same time, the download speed will be shared or divided and downloaded data accumulated accordingly .

To prevent your Internet or Wifi bandwidth from being stolen by others,(eg by neighbors, rogue ISP staff, hackers, etc) change the default Admin password for your home-router(= navigate to http://192.168.1.1 or .1.0), disable WPS or WDS, disable Remote Management or Remote Access, use WPA2-Personal for Wifi encryption(not WEP) and set a strong Wifi password. Remote Management is mainly to allow the ISP staff to remotely trouble-shoot problems with your home-router.

Sometimes, the live-streaming website may be down = try other similar websites, eg ... http://streamfare.com/foxnews.html
Last edited by michael louwe on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

To check if it's bandwidth-related (throttling) copy the following into a Terminal:

Code: Select all

wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python
This will give you (and us, if you post the results) an idea of what to expect from your connection.

I very much doubt it's the memory that's the issue, unless it's faulty (but that would cause other issues). Streaming works fine on my netbooks with 2GB RAM.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Do me a favor:

1. Start by pastign the output of:

sudo lshw -C video
2. Next install htop:

sudo apt install htop
now run your video, open a terminal and type

htop
what process(es) is (are) eating the most resources?
blithespirit

Post by blithespirit »

ok this is a quick update.. ive got someone staying here for the holidays so been a bit distracted.. thanks for the information. :}}

at this point everything is backed up, and ive been trying to figure out the tutorial. i wont have time to concentrate on much until my friend leaves on the 8th.

im debating at this point whether or not to just go back to xfce. it always was so stable, and cinnamon has been a lot of problems. i just thought id try cinnamon a few months ago when i got the bigger hard drive, and i really havent preferred it.. i definitely wouldnt have changed except for the problem with videos/audio, and it seems those problems should be fixable with xfce if i do it right.

also, reading the tutorial seemed to suggest i could resize my partitions without having to totally reinstall. would this be a possibility here, just resizing the one partition? (if i stay with cinnamon)

i will go back through all this information and be able to do more reading at least after the 8th.

also, couple questions: i honestly was pretty sure i had more ram than that. also, i still cant figure out why there would be 2 sound cards. since we built this computer together, i kind of remember what we put in it. i really felt like we had more memory than that, and also, i definitely dont remember paying for 2 sound cards. its just strange and im wondering can memory break, and not be working and not show up when it shows how much memory there is?

could the guy who fixed my computer have swiped some of my memory ??? (weird) its just im almost sure i seem to remember putting in 8 (whatevers) of ram. 3-4 just seems like a very small amount and i seem to remember the number 8. could be wrong im just curious if anything can happen to memory where it would be broken or fail to show up somehow. putting in more memory is still on my list as soon as i have $ for it.

so just in a holding pattern now. strong possibility i will go back to xfce but i need some space and peace to think about it so just waiting and reading right now til my house clears out and i can think. any other helpful links or tutorials would always be helpful.. thanks again so much.. back in a bit.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ blithespirit, .......
blithespirit wrote:also, reading the tutorial seemed to suggest i could resize my partitions without having to totally reinstall. would this be a possibility here, just resizing the one partition? (if i stay with cinnamon)
Yes, you could, especially if you have the technical skills for it. Run the Live LM session and launch the builtin GParted program, eg to resize the / or Root partition and/or create a separate Home partition for Data storage. Otherwise, just bear with a slower LM Cinnamon system.

Maybe the 2 Sound cards are integrated and came together with the Motherboard since many users like to have DVD and BlueRay Surround 5-channels or 7-channels sound.
... Some Motherboards come together with an integrated Video or graphics card and users may add another more powerful discrete graphics card, eg for playing online 3D games

AFAIK, any faulty RAM stick will bork the computer. So, it's very likely that you have 4GB RAM as detected by LM, which is sufficient for normal usage, including Live-streaming. More than 4GB RAM is needed only if you often open 10 browser tabs or more, play online 3D games, do video-editing or music-editing, develop software involving videos, etc.
... Maybe the other 4GB RAM was removed by someone for some purposes.

Return to “Beginner Questions”