vi alternatives?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
arimakidd
Level 2
Level 2

vi alternatives?

Post by arimakidd »

On windows I use Notepad++ alot to edit files. What's the equivalent on Linux? I want to avoid this 'VI' it's really a humbug.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: vi alternatives?

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I used Notepad++ in Windows, also. It's a shame it's not ported to Linux yet.
I use Kate in Linux to edit html and text files. I also use Bluefish to edit html files.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth »

NotepadQQ - I won't recommend using it yet as it's still very young. But I would recommend watching its development.

Here's a FAQ about it: Is this project affiliated with Notepad++?

No. This project is independent from Notepad++ and doesn’t use any of its code. Notepadqq is inspired by Notepad++: this means that we try to reproduce its best traits, while not being afraid to make different choices on what we think can be improved.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.
jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

What do you need to do?

Kate is actually a pretty good general purpose editor. Leafpad is good for simple text editing. Nano is good on the command line.

There are a whole stack of text writers/editors, it just depends on what your use case is.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

jglen490 wrote:There are a whole stack of text writers/editors, it just depends on what your use case is.
Exactly. vi(m) has its uses, but so do many other text editors. If you want something basic and gui, use what came with mint ("xed" in 18.x). If you want something more code-oriented, there are other ide options (I use geany for this). Mainly I use vim for its exceptional handling of (extended) regular expressions, which I haven't been able to find in a gui notepad yet.
Honestly as a user I haven't noticed a huge difference between xed, gedit, pluma, mousepad ... but those are all closer to "notepad" than to "notepad++"
If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free... Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin... Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ugly »

On Windows I used Notepad++. I found Kate to be the best option for me.

Return to “Newbie Questions”