Some applications show in Hebrew, despite the preffered language being English *SOLVED*

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MortonPI

Some applications show in Hebrew, despite the preffered language being English *SOLVED*

Post by MortonPI »

Hey,

I'm running Sonya KDE and want everything to be in English and have Hebrew only as an additional input language. Everything seems to be set the way it's supposed to, but some applications still show in hebrew. The most annoying ones are VLC, Update Manager & Software Manager.

I've attached screenshots showing my language settings, an annoying program and the outputs of 'locale' and 'cat /etc/default/locale'.

Help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MortonPI

Re: Some applications show in Hebrew, despite the preffered language being English

Post by MortonPI »

Okay, I figured it out. If you just want a second language as an alternative keyboard layout, you don't need to have it in the "Preferred Languages' pane in 'Regional Settings>Language'. This setting overrides 'locale', 'environment', '.profile' and any other file where one may try to set his language preferences.

Keyboard layouts can be added under 'Input Devices>Keyboard>Layouts'.

If you still want your date in DD/MM/YYYY format (aka 'proper'), you can simply select 'United Kingdom - British English' under 'Detailed Settings' in 'Regional Settings>Formats'.

Simple enough, but I guess that's why it's on the newbie forum :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”