Re: Keyboard fails after login(SOLVED?)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jedavis1975
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jedavis1975 »

I am able to log on, and type my password, sometimes about a minute or so later, the keyboard is 100% unresponsive, caps lock wont toggle, nothing works.
When this happens, the Num Lock light goes off.(sec 1) When it happens later, an hour or more, the num lock stays on, but the keyboard is still 100% unresponsive. (sec 2)

The Mouse works, and logging out will restore the keyboard function when it happens when the Num lock is off. (sec 1)
When the num lock light is on, only a power off, WITH power removed from the system, otherwise the light remains on because the system is still getting power, will keyboard function return. (sec 2) I get a keyboard error when rebooting without the hard power off.

Sec 1 is fairly common, as in weekly 2-3 times monthly and Sec 2 is much more rare 2-3 times a year. Both happened today.
It is hard to predict when it happens, sec 1 is more likely.

In both cases, the mouse works, and the keyboard does not, the only difference is the num lock light.

What I have tried, I have a small unpowered 4 port USB hub, I plugged both the mouse and keyboard in, and it did not matter.
I unplugged the keyboard, and plugged it back in while I had a document open, I don't remember the light status on this one but it did allow me to finish my important work.
I looked at my temperature sensor data and the trend data did not show any overheat.

System:
MB Asus Z97-A Edit: yes BIOS is current.
Inten i5
KB Solidtek ACK-2100HM (solidtek is on the box and the number is on both) This also happed on my old keyboard.
Kernel 4.10.0-27
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
prestonR

Re: Keyboard fails after login

Post by prestonR »

This may be related to an autosuspend issue, see here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/772056/ ... -04#813298

Have you tried a different kernel?
Jedavis1975
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jedavis1975 »

Actually no, I will do some testing on it this weekend.
Jedavis1975
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jedavis1975 »

I have tried another kernel, 4.10.0-38. I do not see any change.
This may be related to an autosuspend issue, see here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/772056/ ... -04#813298
I read through this, looking in the locations, Solution 2 claims "Note that autosuspend_delay_ms has replaced the deprecated autosuspend since kernel version 2.6.38, according to the Linux official documentation.(note: link goes nowhere)" So, this should be fixed since I am on the 4.10 kernel?

This page explains what to do better http://hamwaves.com/usb.autosuspend/en/
but, being a random issue, I don't know how quickly I can confirm, so anybody else having this issue, look here and read CAREFULLY, I had to read it a few times before it started making sense. I may not be able to do any serious testing until after 25 Nov.

Otherwise I have not tried since the information seems dated for a outdated kernel.
Jedavis1975
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jedavis1975 »

I was going through this and saw this. I no longer have the issue. The only thing changed was the Kernel and the update to Mint 18.2

Any one else that has this It stopped after kernel 4.13. I had forgotten all about this issue.
ventse

Post by ventse »

I had exactly the same issue. I have a Lenovo Y540 with an RTX2060. When I installed Linux Mint I was not able to make the graphic card to work so finally updated the kernel to 5.0 but then appeared the keyboard issue.

I just changed to 4.13 and the keyboard worked at the first run (RTX2060 too). Since it is a random issue, time will tell. I have Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia.

Thanks!
ventse

Post by ventse »

Update: For me, in 4.13, Wifi stops working. On the internet they recommend to update to 4.15 (the kernel that my LinuxMint 19.2 Tina came. The problem is that my Nvidia Drivers didn't recognize my graphic card with that kernel so I updated to 5.0 and then the keyboard at login stopped working.

I just tryed again 4.15 and my Wifi, Keyboard and RTX2060 works. The main difference is that now I have LinuxMint 19.3 Tricia.

Return to “Beginner Questions”