Forgot my pw. Tried to fix it.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jrosenfeldt

Forgot my pw. Tried to fix it.

Post by jrosenfeldt »

Hi,

I forgot my pw for my Linux Mint 17.?? installation.

I would like help to wipe the harddrive and reinstall Linux Mint.

Tried to reset it using various different commands through the terminal.
I haven't been able to fix it. I have messed something up.

I have made a UNetBootin USB dungle.

Now I just need some instructions.

Spend most of today looking for a solution to formatting the hard drive, but haven't been able to find a relatively simple walk-through for dummies like me.

What do I do? thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Forgot my pw. Tried to fix it.

Post by JerryF »

You may be able to salvage your current installation.

When you say,
Tried to reset it using various different commands through the terminal.
What commands did you use?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Forgot my pw. Tried to fix it.

Post by pbear »

If you're trying to recover the old system, what you want to do is change password. See here for instructions. Only worth the trouble, though, if you have significant investment in the old system, e.g., documents not backed up and/or complex set-up procedures you don't want to repeat. Otherwise, you're better off wiping the slate and starting with the latest-greatest version.

Which should be easy if you're doing single install. If so, it's as simple as booting with your USB drive (also could use a DVD), clicking the Install icon on the desktop and following instructions. Do read the manual first.

Return to “Beginner Questions”