Adding mouse debounce

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
padyakbud
Level 1
Level 1

Adding mouse debounce

Post by padyakbud »

Current system using:
Linux Mint v17.3
Codename: Rosa
Package Base: Ubuntu Trusty

I have several mice that are producing false double clicks due to failing mechanical button. Upon my research on the internet, the mice still work flawlessly in Windows but no longer useable on Linux Mint. This is because Windows has built in mouse debouncer in the OS while Linux Mint does not have.

I followed the instructions here to patch but failed
http://blog.guntram.de/?p=16

Studying further, the instructions require the version xserver-xorg-input-evdev-dev to be installed. Unfortunately the version installed in LM17.3 is xserver-xorg-input-evdev-dev-lts-vivid. All attempts to remove the evdev-dev-lts-vivid version and install evdev-dev version has failed.

I could be wrong but my guess is this is a core code that cannot be removed simply with Package Manager App or the apt-get remove command in terminal. Im guessing it needs to be removed without xserver running.

Could someone point me to the right direction or how to change the mouse driver to xserver-xorg-input-evdev-dev.

Tia.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
padyakbud
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Adding mouse debounce

Post by padyakbud »

Some help???
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

You don't specify a brand, but there's a well-known Logitech left-click problem with aging mice double-clicking, and my LT wireless mouse/keyboard combo recently developed it. After some wasted time with settings in both Windows and Mint, I learned that it's mouse hardware with a DIY fix for those with time, tools and patience:

http://www.redferret.net/?p=31008

I also see there is a Windows patch that might / or not deal with it, and more googling for Ubuntu comes up with the same link you found and some frustrated users.

In my own case I've spent enough time and curiosity and though it wastes a USB slot for a separate mouse radio from the keyboards, I'm just using a newer mouse that was sitting waiting for laptop use. That works perfectly and proves the defect is in the LT hardware. Good luck.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

fwiw: gee--mouses are not expensive. Over the years I have had three mouses that intermittently double clicked and true to the ham radio badge of honor of being a skin-flint I set out to repair this problem. In two cases the solution was simple--resolder the switch pins under the pc board.
In the other case this did not help and finally, in angered frustration, I cured the problem by stomping that mouse to bits.:twisted:
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

You don't mention which desktop environment you are using. In Cinnamon, you could try Menu, Preferences, Mouse and Touchpad, Mouse, Double-Click timeout. That do it?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
padyakbud
Level 1
Level 1

Post by padyakbud »

@jimallyn

My desktop environment is XFCE

We do have a double click timeout in XFCE but that would not help the problem. There is an almost instantaneous loss of contact that registers a double click. I need the opposite of a double click timeout ... like "not a double click if less than 10 ms"
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Adding a small capacitor across the switch contacts will probably help if you're handy with a soldering iron. Cheaper and better for the environment than replacing the mouse. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
padyakbud
Level 1
Level 1

Post by padyakbud »

@BG405

Altho I would prefer a software debounce patch and still waiting for a solution, I am curious on your hardware solution. Can you post instructions or links on how to add the capacitor?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I'm rather surprised that we are having this conversation. Software debounce has been used ever since the first software program read a switch or button. It is probably incorrect to say that Windows has debounce and Linux doesn't. It may be that the debounce settings in Linux aren't right for some mice, but if there were no debounce at all, we would all be fully aware of it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
padyakbud
Level 1
Level 1

Post by padyakbud »

@jimallyn

And may I inquire what debounce settings we have in Linux Mint? As I've mentioned the double click timeout is not it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”