Skype performance under Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenzan
Level 2
Level 2

Skype performance under Mint

Post by tenzan »

Hello everyone,
I'm planning to install Mint on my PC and I don't have much experience with non-Windows operating systems. The only proprietary application I need is Skype. I remember trying it many years ago on Debian and found it didn't perform very well, but I imagine over these years it should have been much refined. For those of you who use Skype on Mint, how has your experience been?

Thanks,
Tenzan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
prestonR

Re: Skype performance under Mint

Post by prestonR »

Ok, lower end of the spectrum :D but I can confirm that an audio call with ghetto-skype-32-bit on a 10-years old eee-pc with 32-bit Atom and 2GB running a lean Mate 18.2 off ssd will work without the slightest hitch.

Startup takes a while and the open window pushes cpu to 20% but that drops to 3% when closed to taskbar.
tenzan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tenzan »

Great thanks, can't wait to get started. I'm impressed with the Linux and Mint communities' work in porting. I have a PC from a similar era as yours running XP and the falling level of support is getting annoying!
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I used to use Skype or at least tried to about 11 years ago on XP I got signed up OK but never connected. I tried a beta last summer on LM and Skype remembered me and came back with the same account log on and address. New were addresses for my adult kids. we are able to call each other, one in Oregon and one in Georgia. Conference mode does not work as there are issues with time delays in routing so the 3 will not sync video. LM 18.3 Cinnamon 64 Beta loaded it automatically.
BTW I have 2 EEE Asus (1) 64 bit and (1) 32 bit both running Cinnamon 32 or 64 as the case may be.

Return to “Beginner Questions”