[SOLVED] Maya vs Petra in Xfce

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
solarmax

[SOLVED] Maya vs Petra in Xfce

Post by solarmax »

My computer is restricted to 512 mb RAM non-upgradeable. I have Maya in Xfce installed and it runs beautifully. Not yet connected to the Net with it yet ( awaiting adaptor for WiFi) While surfing discovered an article on Petra Xfce. I am too green yet to understand the relevance in some of the elements in the distros. My query is " Is Mint 16 Xfce better than Mint 13 Xfce or should I just stick with the latter?" Thanks in advance for your advice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Maya vs Petra in Xfce

Post by Fred Barclay »

Neither, unfortunately. Both Mint 13 Maya and Mint 16 Petra are end-of-life (EOL), which means they no longer receive critical security updates. If you plan on going online with that computer, you shouldn't use them.
All Mint versions from 17 and higher are still supported - Mint 17.x will be supported until mid-2019, and Mint 18.x until mid-2021. Perhaps Mint 17 Xfce would work well on your hardware. If not, AntiX and MX Linux are two other distros designed for computers with low RAM.

Cheers!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Both of them are obsolete, so install Peppermint or antiX.
http://distrowatch.com/
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I will also recommend MX or antiX. I've put a couple of friends' computers with single core processors on MX, and it works well. I have an old computer that came with Windows 98 on it, and antix works surprisingly well on it!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Sad thing about it is that XFCE and LXDE run fine with 512mb RAM, and a distro like AntiX that does not have a desktop environment uses even less RAM. But there is not a modern web browser that will work well with on 512mb RAM. I know, because I currently have MX installed on a ThinkPad T40 with 1024mb RAM, and it works fine, but web browsing is painfully slow with media rich sites (seems most are that way these days).
solarmax

Post by solarmax »

Thanks all for your input. :)
solarmax

Re: Maya vs Petra in Xfce (Solved)

Post by solarmax »

Solved end of life issue regarding Petra and Maya. I am now running 17.3 Rosa and it seems to go well. Just trying to get connected. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”