Upgrade path from Mint 14?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Upgrade path from Mint 14?

Post by AK Dave »

Hey boyos, I'm back! I've been out of the loop so long that I'm a complete n00b again, but I'm still a fast learner. Actually I haven't forgotten all. Just a lot. I've been in the Mac world for a while.

Last fresh install of Mint was v14. What is my upgrade path from here? Can I apt-get a dist-upgrade or should I just throw down with a clean reinstall? I was thinking LMDE Betsy.

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Upgrade path from Mint 14?

Post by Neil Edmond »

Clean install is the way to go. No doubt about it.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hi, AK Dave.

Linux Mint 14 was based on Ubuntu. LMDE 2 is based on Debian.

In case you want to switch from the outdated and de-supported Linux Mint 14 to LMDE 2, then this can only be done by installing LMDE 2 from scratch.
In case you want to stay with the Ubuntu based Linux Mint editions, then upgrading from Linux Mint 14 to the current Linux Mint 18.2 can only be done by installing from scratch, too.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Post by AK Dave »

Great!

I'm weighing the pro/con of 18.2 vs LMDE2. Its Mate either way for me. Install is going on a Dell Mini 9.

I see that my old help threads from ages ago where I explained how to make the b43 on the Dell Mini 9 work still exist.

Return to “Newbie Questions”