X Session warning Unable to write to /temp

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

X Session warning Unable to write to /temp

Post by ejazzkatt »

My computer just started acting up. I tried to open Audacity and I walked away from the computer after I started the program. When I came back it hadn't opened. I tried again to open it and I got a message saying that it was already opened. I tried to open Synaptic to install kwave and I got a ton of errors saying that it couldn't load the repositories. I tried to open a terminal to install it that way and the terminal didn't open.

When I rebooted I got the error message "X Session warning Unable to write to /temp X session may exit with an error" when I entered my login information.
I have no idea what is happening. I need some help, please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: X Session warning Unable to write to /temp

Post by WharfRat »

Are you sure it was /temp and not /tmp as there is no /temp folder.

Did you change the mode of the /tmp folder with chmod or change anything else related to the /tmp folder :?:
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

Sorry, it must have been /tmp. I didn't change anything.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

That's a symptom of Linux switching the OS file-system to read-only because it cant be trusted. You can reboot the installation into Recovery Mode and do a file-system check. Personally I prefer to set the file system to check-every-boot. What's the point of waiting for errors to cause a problem?
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Re: X Session warning Unable to write to /temp(solved)

Post by ejazzkatt »

Mute Ant, how do I set the system to do a file system check every time?

I booted into recovery mode and I did a file system check. It still didn't boot normally I rebooted into recovery mode and I chose the clean option. After that the system booted normally.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

To mark the OS file-system for regular checking before mount...

o Open a console and enter the command df / to determine the Linux 'handle' of the root file system. It will be something like /dev/sda1 Use that handle in the tune2fs command shown next.

o Set check-every-1-mounts with the command sudo tune2fs -c 1 /dev/sda1

If there's nothing wrong, the check adds around 10 seconds to the boot time... I think it's worth it.
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

Thank you!

Return to “Beginner Questions”