Mint from USB to my laptop.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hillbilly71

Mint from USB to my laptop.

Post by Hillbilly71 »

Hi ya'll. So I have the 18.2 disc image file and a unetbootin file on a USB stick like I thought I was instructed by a site to do. Now I don't now how to open them or put them in place of windows. I don't know about command prompts and binaries... I really don't know jack squat, so could really use some help.
Thanks,
Hillbilly71
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Mint from USB to my laptop.

Post by michael louwe »

@ Hillbilly71, .......
Hillbilly71 wrote:Hi ya'll. So I have the 18.2 disc image file and a unetbootin file on a USB stick like I thought I was instructed by a site to do. Now I don't now how to open them or put them in place of windows. I don't know about command prompts and binaries... I really don't know jack squat, so could really use some help.
Please refer to ... https://unetbootin.github.io/

Normally, to create a Live Linux Mint 18.2 USB-stick, we run our existing OS, either Windows or Linux, download the LM 18.2 ISO file and save it to a folder on our computer or OS, eg the Download folder, by default.
... Then we download and install the Unetbootin (USB burning/writing) program on our computer or OS. Launch Unetbootin, plug in an empty or formatted USB-stick of at least 2GB in size and burn/write the LM 18.2 ISO file to the USB-stick. To do this with Unetbootin, click "Browse" or "..." to locate the ISO file that is in the Download folder and double-click on the ISO file. Ensure that the Destination device "Type" is the USB-stick, which is usually /dev/sdb. Do not burn/write the ISO file to the internal hard-drive, which is usually /dev/sda.
... You can opt to use this normal method, ie re-download the LM 18.2 ISO file, Unetbootin and re-format the USB-stick(= use fat32).

In your case, you can also opt to run your OS/computer, plug in the USB-stick where you have saved the LM 18.2 ISO file and the Unetbootin program. From your OS, browse to the USB-stick and to the LM 18.2 ISO file. Right-click on the ISO file to copy it and then paste it to the Download folder in your computer/OS. From your OS, browse to the USB-stick and to the Unetbootin program. Double-click on Unetbootin to install it on your computer/OS. Then re-format the USB-stick.
... Now launch Unetbootin to burn/write the LM 18.2 ISO file to the empty USB-stick.

Return to “Beginner Questions”