Should i install TLP for my linux mint 18.2 laptop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vlajkom

Should i install TLP for my linux mint 18.2 laptop

Post by vlajkom »

Hello everyone,

I wonder is there some general recommendation on installing TLP for Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon.
I was thinking to extend a battery life on my laptop with this software.

Or should i not do this - for any reason?

Thanks,
Vlajkom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Should i install TLP for my linux mint 18.2 laptop

Post by ralplpcr »

I've got it on mine, and it seems to work fairly well. It's not quite as effective as the highly customized Windows power management schemes that are fine-tuned for a particular laptop, but it's a noticeable over not having it installed. ie - This laptop can run on battery for 3 hrs under Windows 7. On bare Mint, it barely runs for 45 min. After installing TLP, it runs for about 2 hrs.... so worth it for me?

And of course if you *don't* like it, it's just as easy to remove. A simple uninstall & remove the PPA is all it takes. :)
WiltshireJon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WiltshireJon »

I've installed it on an Asus zenbook ux360ua and it works well. Near doubled battery life for no obvious decrease in performance if just typing and web browsing. Also installed on an older Asus a52-something but since this is almost always connected to mains it's a bit harder to assess the benefit...both 18.2 Cinnamon.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I always install TLP when I install Mint on a laptop. On some it seems to make a big difference, on others, not so much. No idea why.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
vlajkom

Post by vlajkom »

Thank you very much to everyone who provided their own experience.

Return to “Beginner Questions”