Update manager doesn't work

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
minitux

Re: Update manager doesn't work

Post by minitux »

Säteri wrote:Warning: No support for locale: fi_FI.utf8
What does that mean?

Code: Select all

sudo locale-gen --purge --no-archive
viewtopic.php?t=111527
Boca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Boca »

Hi,

Despite the input of several helpful contributors, I have had this problem for 6 months now ( viewtopic.php?f=90&t=244016).

I am living with this by manually updating any Level 1/2 recommended updates.

At some point, a more serious issue may require a reinstall... and hopefully fix this issue as well.

Thanks to all for trying to help

Tony
Säteri

Post by Säteri »

Well... in my case, after about a day the update manager stopped working again.
I still can update with terminal but yesterday, after i ran updates i got a new problem too and started a new thread for that.
But if anyone has a solution or even a suggestion what to do this one i would like to try fix this.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

May we assume your user is an administrator account? Check in Groups and Users area.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Säteri

Post by Säteri »

In the user settings it says that the type of id is custom...
However i can't change anything in user settings and i can't open the advanced settins.
It's obvious that i have done something wrong with these administrator/user account things but what?
Säteri

Post by Säteri »

I did some research and managed to do something right, i guess...
The situation was that in the right lower corner(notice area or something like that) i had a picture of shield with an "i" in it and when i clicked it, the update manager launched and said that there is 2 updates available, so i checked them and clicked install updates.
Every time it kept saying that security updates could not be installed.
Then i somehow got the idea of what "as root" meant.
Looked from google how to open update manager with terminal command and typed "sudo mintupdate"...
So, this time it did everything by the book and now i finally got the kernel update that i wanted so badly, although now conky is acting very strangely.
The system is now up to date but i'm wondering is it supposed to do like this or a'm i doing it the hard way?
minitux

Post by minitux »

Don't run mintupdate with sudo, but with

gksudo mintupdate
And this output what say?

groups
If with gksudo mintupdate work properly, try to Change the Exec= line in /usr/share/applications/mintupdate.desktop

gksudo xed /usr/share/applications/mintupdate.desktop
and Change in

Exec=gksudo mintupdate
Save and close the file.
Säteri

Post by Säteri »

Command groups gave this: jouko adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare
Is that ok?

I allready ran those two updates by opening the update manager with command sudo mintupdate.
Should i now do something about it or is everything fine?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You're doing this the hard way. Normally, you click the shield, the updater starts, you select the updates and you give your password to authenticate. Then the update goes through.
Mintupdate is a graphical application, so here the same rule applies as with Synaptic: don't start it with sudo. If there is a reason why you must start it with elevated rights (which you don't generally need to do; it'll ask for a password if/when it needs one) then always use gksudo.

Sudo means 'as a SuperUser, DO this'. If you only want to say 'Do this', there is no need for sudo.

Try starting it with only mintupdate. Does it start?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Säteri

Post by Säteri »

Rrrriiight... :D
Yes it open's the update manager window as it has always done.
It also open's when i click the shield sign and from menu--control center--administration--update manager.
The update manager also find's a list of updates, if there are any, but by doing like this i couldn't install any of the updates available.
Earlier today i opened the update manager with terminal command sudo mintupdate and i finally got those updates installed that way.
Since i've done that i changed the "exec=" line in the file with terminal into a form: exec= gksudo mintupdate.
After today's updates the update manager hasn't offered any updates so i don't know does it install updates or not.

I'm just wondering should i do something now that i launched update manager with sudo command and installed a new kernel?
Everything seem's to be just fine.....for now...
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Säteri wrote:Yes it open's the update manager window as it has always done.
Okay, then I misread, sorry about that. I can't answer your question, I hope someone else can.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Säteri

Post by Säteri »

My output may not be so clear because i'm from the promised land of racecar driver, finland. :D
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Then i somehow got the idea of what "as root" meant.
Ever watch on TV the show "Person of Interest"? Root rules all.
In the user settings it says that the type of id is custom...
However i can't change anything in user settings and i can't open the advanced settins.
It's obvious that i have done something wrong with these administrator/user account things but what?
You have more than one user profile on the system? It sounds like you may not have your profile assigned to the Administrator group, but if so, I doubt your password would have worked with sudo. Where you saw that, if you open with an administrator account, you can assign your profile username to be an Admin also. As for updates, just like other programs that can change the system, it will always ask for your password. That's one of the biggest methods of protection in Linux.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Säteri

Post by Säteri »

I have only one profile.
I can open the users and groups window from menu--control center---administration--users and groups, but i can't change anything from there.
What's the command in terminal if i open users and groups in there with sudo command and then change the settings?
Is it ok to do that?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Säteri wrote:I have only one profile.
I can open the users and groups window from menu--control center---administration--users and groups, but i can't change anything from there.
What's the command in terminal if i open users and groups in there with sudo command and then change the settings?
Is it ok to do that?
You user and groups are ok, but you have some another problem. If you have opened graphical applications using sudo, it messes the permissions. To check your $HOME privileges, run

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
An another issue can be that if you have disabled policykit from Startup Applications. To check if polkit is running, run

(ps -ef|grep -v grep|grep polkit >/dev/null && echo ”running” || echo ”not running”)
Säteri

Post by Säteri »

find: ”/home/jouko/.cache/dconf”: Lupa evätty
/home/jouko/.config/xed/accels
find: ”/home/jouko/.config/enchant”: Lupa evätty
That's what i got. What can i do to change that?

Policykit says it's running.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

you have dconf-editor installed? If so, maybe poking around in it will help you find the problem.

gksu dconf-editor
Säteri

Post by Säteri »

Probably not because that command did nothing?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Säteri wrote:Probably not because that command did nothing?

sudo apt-get install dconf-editor
So many changes can be made in it.
Säteri

Post by Säteri »

It's now installed.
What am i looking for?

Return to “Beginner Questions”