Update manager doesn't work

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Update manager doesn't work

Post by Spearmint2 »

Säteri wrote:It's now installed.
What am i looking for?
Did you run it yet? It has a FIND function available. Try update in it, or manager.

However I'm beginning to wonder if you got a bad download on the ISO you used. Did you check it's sha256sum to be sure it didn't get hit up on the download? If you still have it available, you should do that. Which one did you download?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Säteri

Post by Säteri »

I did, i just don't know how can i find users and groups with dconf and if i somehow would find it, what to do with it.

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=239
This is the page where i downloaded the file as torrent.
After that i made a bootable usb and installed linux.
What could have gone wrong? How can i check if something is wrong?
Säteri

Post by Säteri »

I haven't removed that file from the usb flash drive and i have the drive right here on the table beside me if there's something to look from there.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Säteri wrote:find: ”/home/jouko/.cache/dconf”: Lupa evätty
/home/jouko/.config/xed/accels
find: ”/home/jouko/.config/enchant”: Lupa evätty
That's what i got. What can i do to change that?

Policykit says it's running.
Correct the privileges.

Code: Select all

sudo chown $USER:$USER -R /home/$USER
I suppose that your problems are caused by sudoing with graphical applications.
Säteri

Post by Säteri »

That's probably the issue here.
I ran that command in terminal and now if i open the users and groups window it let's me change the name of the user and the password but nothing else.
Those two are the only thing's it let's me change.
I no longer have issues with update manager so this is starting to get a bit of offtopic but if it's ok to everyone i don't mind.
I really do have quite a lot of problems with this system but it would be nice to get this working properly with these fixes and settings because it's very educational for me and i like learning new stuff.

I now remember that i didn't verify the ISO file i downloaded.
Can i somehow still do that now or is it just a waste of time?

Edit: How long should reboot take? Mine take's about 1.45min. Could this be a cause of failure in the linux installation?
I use a laptop, maybe 10 years old toshiba l300d with a slightly modified hardware of 4gb ram and about 3 years old 250gb hitachi hdd and mobile amd sempron 3600+ cpu
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Säteri wrote: Edit: How long should reboot take? Mine take's about 1.45min. Could this be a cause of failure in the linux installation?
I use a laptop, maybe 10 years old toshiba l300d with a slightly modified hardware of 4gb ram and about 3 years old 250gb hitachi hdd and mobile amd sempron 3600+ cpu
Time is ok for that old CPU.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... processors
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Säteri wrote:I now remember that i didn't verify the ISO file i downloaded.
Can i somehow still do that now or is it just a waste of time?
If you still have the original ISO file, then can use GtkHash to verify it. Compare the result to what it's supposed to be. For that check the release note on the one you used, or check at one of the mirrors and their sha256sum file for it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Beginner Questions”