Recovering encrypted files after mount failure

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vk3gjm

Recovering encrypted files after mount failure

Post by vk3gjm »

Hi All,

I have a predicament of my own doing and I am very new at Linux. I created a healthy raid machine to protect much of my family photos, videos etc and commenced a backup on an external drive as a precaution. The Mint machine has has been configured with encrypted files area and I have the encryption password but did not complete backup of all folders.

Due to my own stupidity in trying to find out a unusual boot startup error after a update, I managed to create a boot error or master boot error and the principle drive no longer mounts. The only way to gain access is to boot from the original Linux Mint 17.3 USB drive and work from the USB stick.

I am able to see the raid 1TB drive system and volume and respective folders, however when I go down to the home folder and then pictures and videos, some folders do not have X on them, so they can be viewed/copied and folders that have x associated with it, thus I no longer have permission to view and copy what I need.

By very very remote chance is there a way around this issue, I only need to copy and back up 5-6 folders I do not have on my backup drive.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Gerald
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Recovering encrypted files after mount failure

Post by Laurent85 »

Right click folder then select menu option Open as Root, a new window will open with elevated privileges, you will have full access to any file or folder.
vk3gjm

Re: Recovering encrypted files after mount failure

Post by vk3gjm »

That works perfect.

Thank you.

Regards

Gerald

Return to “Beginner Questions”