what kind of viruses/malware can infect Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenzan
Level 2
Level 2

what kind of viruses/malware can infect Linux

Post by tenzan »

Hello again everyone,
One of the advantages of using Linux is that there's far fewer viruses and other malware specifically targeting that OS. For example WannaCry exploited certain vulnerabilities in Windows, and many executables would only work under Windows. What sorts of malware are there that can infect different platforms?

Tenzan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: what kind of viruses/malware can infect Linux

Post by Mattyboy »

In all my years of using Linux I have never had or heard of anyone else who has ever had a virus/malware. That's not to say they don't or have never existed in the past. You've gotta do something really stupid to get one.

I would recommend that you search these forums for similar themed threads, there are hundreds and find out about good practice and added security measures available to you.... here's a search term worth looking into "firejail".
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

No worries. Be smart and don't reduce(!) your security by installing antivirus.

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about security in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hello tenzen,

I see you just recently became a member of the forums so welcome aboard.

Protection is a built-in feature of your Linux, that all important password which so many newcomers
find cumbersome.
This keeps code from executing without your knowledge and consent.
Be suspicious of password requests that are unexpected and not initiated by your intentional actions.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have been using Linux for over 15 years, with no anti virus, and none of my Linux machines have ever been infected with any virus or malware. I have been active on Linux forums the entire time I have been using Linux (meaning I have been exposed to thousands of Linux users), and I don't know of anybody who has been infected. I have heard of one or two who had browser hijacks. Those are all self-inflected injuries, caused by clicking on something that shouldn't have been clicked on, like installing third party search tools, or clicking on something that says your computer is infected and offering to "fix" it. The browser hijacks can be fixed by removing the browser's .config file.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
tenzan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tenzan »

Thanks for the welcome! As a more general question what viruses or other malware are out there that don't depend on a particular OS and can infect cross-platform?

Tenzan
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

tenzan wrote:Thanks for the welcome! As a more general question what viruses or other malware are out there that don't depend on a particular OS and can infect cross-platform?

Tenzan
None in the wild.
Last edited by Pjotr on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Only viruses in my home are the ones I catch :wink:
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

What about Mokes and the Adwind RAT? I recall that both were cross-platform nasties that could hit Windows, macOS and Linux. I do not recall the delivery vector or how serious a threat it is to Linux.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

BenTrabetere wrote:What about Mokes and the Adwind RAT? I recall that both were cross-platform nasties that could hit Windows, macOS and Linux. I do not recall the delivery vector or how serious a threat it is to Linux.
Well, what about them? Creating a Linux virus (or cross-platform malware) is, and always has been, very easy. :)

The challenge would be, to make such a nasty thing become a realistic threat for the Linux desktop *in the wild*. Not seen any such thing yet.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Not Linux BUT I had two credit cards get hacked yesterday :twisted: Online Visa to Macy's and one Discover to Dell computer. Around 500.00 bucks total. I've got text alerts setup so I caught it right away. Now to worry about identity thief :(

Return to “Beginner Questions”